Tomorrow's Harvest

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Isn't reading in to things very much is more of a hope thing..

Eagle Minded
Peacock Tail wrote:
shaneanthonysounds wrote:I got to admit, this album is beginning to feel like a big joke on all of us.

I came to that conclusion also.

Again, not a reflection of the music. I'm talking about the wild goose chase element.

Glad I'm not the only one... It's a touchy subject.

Dayvan Cowboy
I like this album because it is totally strange. BoC are awesome at that.

Telepath
LIES!

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
Lens Larque wrote:I like this album because it is totally strange

lol

Telepath
Lens Larque wrote:
phpBB [media]

HAHAHA that silly band STOLE that song from the Kinks (Listen "you really got me now").

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:Sorry to break the discussion pattern but one thing I can't ignore.

What is with all of the solvent can noises? Very prominent in reach for the dead and in the rythm track of new seeds. I will admit this got to me because I was and I am willing to admit to being a solvent addict for a number of years (2010-13) which is something I am only just starting to fully recover from the damaging effects now. It sounds pathetic but in that time I inhaled a quantity of cans of butane that is in the thousands hallucinating almost every day unaware that the damage from it is worse than heroin or most other medicinal drugs and I am lucky to be young enough for my brain to still be able to regenerate to an almost normal level which is something that has taken nearly two years. Sorry for the pathetic speech about it. I was worse than the airduster girl on 'Intervention' and the sounds are really specific to someone inhaling which would reflect a lot of the negativity on the album. I might take a break from the forum for a while to wait for the embarrassment to clear.

Disclaimer: NEVER EVER EVER EVER. You don't know what you have to lose.

Reading this was heartbreaking at first, which you can clearly see in my posts above. I know the reminders you are having wasn't BOC's intentions. Also, I'm pretty sure this sound isn't what you think anyway, they most likely just manipulated something to fit the tone of the drums. It had nothing to do with inhaling, I promise you, so you can enjoy the song without those reminders. With that said, addiction sucks, but holding in the pain is worse. Nobody is here to judge you, and what you did was brave! If you read this, please don't be ashamed. Please come back soon!
S

Telepath
shaneanthonysounds wrote:
Valotonin wrote:Sorry to break the discussion pattern but one thing I can't ignore.

What is with all of the solvent can noises? Very prominent in reach for the dead and in the rythm track of new seeds. I will admit this got to me because I was and I am willing to admit to being a solvent addict for a number of years (2010-13) which is something I am only just starting to fully recover from the damaging effects now. It sounds pathetic but in that time I inhaled a quantity of cans of butane that is in the thousands hallucinating almost every day unaware that the damage from it is worse than heroin or most other medicinal drugs and I am lucky to be young enough for my brain to still be able to regenerate to an almost normal level which is something that has taken nearly two years. Sorry for the pathetic speech about it. I was worse than the airduster girl on 'Intervention' and the sounds are really specific to someone inhaling which would reflect a lot of the negativity on the album. I might take a break from the forum for a while to wait for the embarrassment to clear.

Disclaimer: NEVER EVER EVER EVER. You don't know what you have to lose.

Reading this was heartbreaking at first, which you can clearly see in my posts above. I know the reminders you are having wasn't BOC's intentions. Also, I'm pretty sure this sound isn't what you think anyway, they most likely just manipulated something to fit the tone of the drums. It had nothing to do with inhaling, I promise you, so you can enjoy the song without those reminders. With that said, addiction sucks, but holding in the pain is worse. Nobody is here to judge you, and what you did was brave! If you read this, please don't be ashamed. Please come back soon!
S

Telepath
I love you valotonin. I hope you will interact with us more. I TRULY LOVE YOU!

Dayvan Cowboy
Sometimes I have a feeling that the only thing that the brothers have is time and how they can manipulate it, with releasing music.

Sherbet Head
I really like to think that TH is about an AFTERNATH of a war. Not a nuclear war, but just a war. People are estimating damages, families are finding their loved ones dead...This works very well as we can all relate to that. We've all been affected by war one way or another

Dayvan Cowboy
I cried and my body released endorphins for the first time in a long time.
You guys have no idea how much I owe you or how much that means to me.

New Seed
I don't usually post here, but:

I was listening to Tomorrow's Harvest on spotify and for some reason when Nothing is Real started, only one layer of the song was playing. I can't really describe it, it sounded like a faint, very altered drum. I actually only realized a whole part of the song was missing when the "jesus..." audio came on and it was unintelligible. It was really amazing though, very cool layer of the song.

Dayvan Cowboy
more action in the city...

Boqurant
Does anyone think this album is mostly about the slow burnout of our planet and one that we are scarily starting to see the early signs of right now? After the album was announced, many scientific journals were produced that predicted a third or so of all life in the ocean would be gone in a couple of hundred years. A recent science journal proposed that in the recent future one in seven of all animal species on earth will be extinct. Maybe a hundred years from now our planet will resemble that of the depiction of earth in interstellar?

Global temperature is all over the map. The toxic waste leak from the tsunami in Japan. And not to mention the violence and unrest around the world, like severe racial tension in the west and the war, terrorism and genocide in the middle east that's been kicked up a notch as well, as Russia and North Korea spend lots of their time readying themselves for god knows what, but it isn't good. Are we planting the seeds for tomorrow's harvest right now?

Dayvan Cowboy
gfxtwin wrote:Does anyone think this album is mostly about the slow burnout of our planet and one that we are scarily starting to see the early signs of right now? After the album was announced, many scientific journals were produced that predicted a third or so of all life in the ocean would be gone in a couple of hundred years. A recent science journal proposed that in the recent future one in seven of all animal species on earth will be extinct. Maybe a hundred years from now our planet will resemble that of the depiction of earth in interstellar?

Global temperature is all over the map. The toxic waste leak from the tsunami in Japan. And not to mention the violence and unrest around the world, like severe racial tension in the west and the war, terrorism and genocide in the middle east that's been kicked up a notch as well, as Russia and North Korea spend lots of their time readying themselves for god knows what, but it isn't good. Are we planting the seeds for tomorrow's harvest right now?

Short answer: Kind of

Long Answer: Given that they have dismissed the notion that the album is environmentalist or about a literal apocalypse (see interviews from the release period), I think that the album is actually about a cultural apocalypse in the modern age. It makes more sense to me as BOC have always focused on cleverly referencing culture. Holding a mirror to us, rather than trying to directly capture the material world. The reason why many people find this misleading is because they have chosen to represent this cultural catastrophe with a material metaphor, in the form of an 80s horror soundtrack. Most of us including myself thought as you do when it first came out.

Despite this I think they do actually care about the environment, the excruciatingly slow way our capitalist society is ripping people, animals and plants apart, war and all the rest. I just think they know it is too well trodden a subject, and they've always wanted to make music no one else makes.

If you'd like me to elaborate on what exactly I think this 'cultural apocalypse' is I will.

/2cents

Eagle Minded
4sure^

to add the specific quote you're referencing AB it was along the lines of:

"...not so much apocalyptic, but the inevitable stage that lies ahead of us"

during a Geogaddi era interview they spoke about their discontent with our societies obsession with 'growth as progress'. referencing the overdevelopment of residential lands and natural habitat.

this record is really somethin' –– they definitely took it to the next level with this one. for me it also says on a personal level "were not just some electronic band"

Dayvan Cowboy
d e n wrote:4sure^

to add the specific quote you're referencing AB it was along the lines of:

"...not so much apocalyptic, but the inevitable stage that lies ahead of us"

during a Geogaddi era interview they spoke about their discontent with our societies obsession with 'growth as progress'. referencing the overdevelopment of residential lands and natural habitat.

this record is really somethin' –– they definitely took it to the next level with this one. for me it also says on a personal level "were not just some electronic band"

totes.

Boqurant
A main theme about the looming threat of the disappearance of cultures (maybe at the hands of malevolent lost societies or brainwashed groups or something) was kinda on my emotional radar while listening to TH as well (the cover alone suggests that I think), which I think I may have touched on in my last post. And like all their albums, it will probably have many, many layers of meaning that can be openly interpreted.

Did they really dismiss the idea of it being about a literal environmental apocalypse as well, though? Seems like it might be happening in the next few hundred years no matter what lol, so I don't see why they'd totally ignore something like that in a piece of work like TH. I mean, that creepy, mysterious, esoteric statement on the actual TH CD (I Overflow Man) seems to almost suggest something like that if you see it as a pleading statement from earth itself or something. Seems like at the very least the inevitable naturally-occurring fading out of all life on earth might have been on their minds while creating the album. I read all the TH interviews but I think I might have missed them saying the album wasn't about that at all. They mentioned (and this is assuming they weren't being super esoteric or playing press poker, which I admit might be unlikely lol) they were becoming more nihilistic and were preparing for an inevitable stage that lies before them...seems like (in the US at least) there is actually progress that's (slowly) being made to prevent something like that, so "inevitable" doesn't seem to be the right word for that right now I think. And if the dominant western society changes for the better and moves towards progressivism, then much of the "rest of the world" will probably experience an overall positive effect as well, of course. Anyway, no need for this to be too political or to go into it that much, just taking time to make a serious attempt to try and completely understand the work of two dudes who are probably geniuses, lol.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada