Things you missed from their music at the time...

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
that might have been intended to be discovered in the future? Like track titles, album art, or the music itself?

For example, I think someone found that the file size for Geogaddi was like 66.6 MB, but not until many years later.

Some of the subliminals might only be audible after years or repeated listenings.

Also, their track titles that are loaded with various meanings.

One thing that struck me recently was the band's name and how it seems deceptively simple. Why would they just appropriate a reference to a film association as the title of their band? I get how its nostalgic and sentimental maybe, but it seems even way simpler than most of their track titles. Sometimes I wonder if it might be a metaphor or a double entendre? Almost seems to be loaded with the whole juxtaposition of the natural world and digital world that you can hear in their tunes. On the surface, it references the warm, retro, analogue stylings of the NFBOC films. On a deeper level, though, maybe it's a comparison of message boards and the natural world (message boards + yukon/wilderness that is often most associated with Canada). Time (sometimes lives) spent in cyberspace vs time spent in nature. Might be pissing in the wind here, but sorta interested in hearing what everyone else's findings might be.

In b4 someone says "the twoism EP is a futurist reference to this messageboard!" lol

Dayvan Cowboy
"comparison of message boards and the natural world" This is a real stretch imho. But yes you are right the name itself probably had multiple meanings. I've always thought it also referenced the kaleidoscope imagery they love so much, because of the plural Boards.

Someone pointed out recently that "Ready Lets Go" is missing an apostrophe and that blew my mind for some inexplicable and stupid reason. I figure in light of this, it could be interpreted as a personified form of the concept 'to be ready' as Ready, an entity. And the fact that "Ready" lets go means that the title doesn't mean "Ready? Let's go!" but rather "We thought we were ready, but we weren't and aren't" and so follows the whole album.

If that doesn't make any sense blame me for not verbalising the concept properly. But anyway, I find it hard to believe that they accidentally left out that apostrophe :)

Eagle Minded
Aerial Boundaries wrote:Someone pointed out recently that "Ready Lets Go" is missing an apostrophe and that blew my mind for some inexplicable and stupid reason. I figure in light of this, it could be interpreted as a personified form of the concept 'to be ready' as Ready, an entity. And the fact that "Ready" lets go means that the title doesn't mean "Ready? Let's go!" but rather "We thought we were ready, but we weren't and aren't" and so follows the whole album.

That was me :D. I'm glad it blew your mind, because it did to me, too. viewtopic.php?p=249681#p249681

Anyway, I always thought that Boards was a reference to the fact that they are more than one person. I feel like if only one of them had done this, they would be "The Board of Canada".
Red -
Orange - Aquarius
Yellow - Alpha and Omega
Green -
Blue -
Purple - Music is Math

Eagle Minded
There is a town in Scotland called Buckie. In this town is an area called 'Bauds of Cullen'. I suspect the band name references this place and the National Film BoC.

http://tinyurl.com/nux6gqs

Eagle Minded
I noticed that in Gyrocope around the 3:08-3:09 mark there are TWO voices saying "eight"

Sherbet Head
The other part of Wildlife Analysis, hidden in the back is a very MBV like sound wash that repeats showing the bands early guitar influences.

Eagle Minded
I only realised the other day that the high pitched sound at the end of 'The Color of the Fire' is also the sound that plays throughout Niagara from Boc Maxima...

I barely ever listen to Niagara though so cut me some slack :P

Sherbet Head
Boc Maxima is the beta version of MHTRTC, lots of things from Boc Maxima appeared on MHTRTC

Sherbet Head
Skimming Stone wrote:I only realised the other day that the high pitched sound at the end of 'The Color of the Fire' is also the sound that plays throughout Niagara from Boc Maxima...

I barely ever listen to Niagara though so cut me some slack :P

That sound is from the same source as the child's voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpQXqnOStAs

Eagle Minded
drillkicker wrote:That sound is from the same source as the child's voice.

Now THAT I did know :) It's strange that they used the noise throughout Niagara when they had already made the song 'I Love U' by the time of the old tunes tapes. Maybe they thought it didn't fit in with Boc Maxima?

Eagle Minded
Headphase wrote:I noticed that in Gyrocope around the 3:08-3:09 mark there are TWO voices saying "eight"

WHOA.
Red -
Orange - Aquarius
Yellow - Alpha and Omega
Green -
Blue -
Purple - Music is Math

Return to Boards of Canada