It would be nice is BOC took one from the page of AT

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
freakin track dump twitches, got us all strung out

Eagle Minded
ZosoCon wrote:Doesn't everyone on here actually agree with one another on more levels than not? Skimming Stone seems to me a good voice on this one where both Naj and Mex would have to agree with what has been said by Skimming so far. I think we all love the fact that they don't release everything and are reserved because it's exciting and intriguing. It makes them one of our favorite bands. Yet at the same time we would love them to simply say hi, give us a small update once in a while (dare I say every 4-5 years?), or release some early tracks... There surely can be a middle ground where both parties are satisfied?

Thank you, I completely agree with what you're saying also :) They don't have to 'do an afx', but a little communication wouldn't go a miss! MDG did say a few months ago that there would be an update on what they're doing, so all we can really do is return to holding out hope :P

Boqurant
It's insane to demand respect or more communication from BoC. How is "respect" quantified anyway? They've released several hours of flawless music over the last 20 years - what's more respectful than that? Thinking that the bros owe us anything is deranged.

They "communicate" when they have new music. What else are they going to say? "Ate fish and chips for dinner and read a bit before bed. Time to take a break from Sons of Anarchy on Netflix. Can't believe it took me this long to get to..."

Sure, there was a long break between TCH and TH, but before that they put stuff out pretty regularly, and now that they have their studio built and live in the same place again (?) there's no reason to not believe that they'll put stuff out every few years. And if they don't then they probably don't have anything worth releasing, or anything to say.

Sherbet Head
ZosoCon wrote:I think we all love the fact that they don't release everything and are reserved because it's exciting and intriguing. It makes them one of our favorite bands.

I like BoC because of the wonderful music they've released. I don't care about their personalities, I just care about hearing music that invokes certain atmospheres that only BoC's music can do. That's why I'd prefer that they allow others to hear the treasures they've stowed into their secret hiding spots, rather than just leave them there to rot.

Lazerize wrote:And if they don't then they probably don't have anything worth releasing, or anything to say.

But they do have things worth releasing. That's what this thread is about.

Eagle Minded
Bloody hell Twoism has become hard work over the last few years, I'll drop back when there is an ounce of speculation not nutty what if's.

Boqurant
How do we know that they have stuff releasing? We haven't heard it. People think they do, but that doesn't mean it's true. We already have RT35 and the Old Tunes tapes. Isn't that enough unreleased, embryonic material for us? We haven't heard that much of that kind of material of pretty much any band. And the fact remains that they don't owe fans anything. To think that they have a responsibility to fans to release old material, or communicate more is fucked up.

Sherbet Head
Lazerize wrote:And the fact remains that they don't owe fans anything. To think that they have a responsibility to fans to release old material, or communicate more is fucked up.

Yeah, but how cool would it be to see them do something along the lines of Blur 21?
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Posts Quantity
that would be cool (minus studio albums for me personally), and kudos to you for positive vibes

Sherbet Head
Arguing about what BoC "should do" isn't gonna get anyone anywhere. If they don't wanna release the old stuff then this isn't exactly gonna sway them, but it would be super cool if they did.
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Sherbet Head
Lazerize wrote:How do we know that they have stuff releasing? We haven't heard it. People think they do, but that doesn't mean it's true. We already have RT35 and the Old Tunes tapes. Isn't that enough unreleased, embryonic material for us? We haven't heard that much of that kind of material of pretty much any band. And the fact remains that they don't owe fans anything. To think that they have a responsibility to fans to release old material, or communicate more is fucked up.

Actually, we have heard it. There are samples in existence of tracks from Play By Numbers, Hooper Bay, and Acid Memories, as well as an entire track from Closes (which also happens to be my favorite BoC track ever). I know their old recordings don't mean much to you, but you have to understand that there are people like myself to whom the sound of early Boards of Canada is very special, and it isn't something that can be found very often. Just because Old Tunes and R35 are available doesn't mean that the earlier ones aren't good. In fact, it probably means that they're even better than the tapes that I have heard from them. It's irrelevant to discuss whether they owe us the tapes, because they aren't here in this thread. We're discussing what we would like them to do, we aren't arbitrating that they share the tapes with us. But it would be a good decision if they decide to do so, and the indifference that they appear to have about the subject is a bad move, you can't argue that. What you're saying is that you hope none of us ever hear their early material simply because you don't care about it, which is disrespectful.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm reading through this thread to try and work out exactly what point the AI took over that's assembling arguments out of combining sentences that have already been said in the thread.

I think what we're saying is that we would like them to decide free from outside pressures. There's a big difference.

I WOULD like to hear the other work too, purely out of curiosity. But I only want to hear it if they choose to share it. I feel bad enough having heard Old Tunes etc as they didn't officially release it.

Their art.
Their choice.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
It appears that this thread is just an argument between the fanboys and those who listen to BoC purely for the music, then. This is pointless.

You're right about the last point, I'll give you that much.

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Mexicola wrote:I WOULD like to hear the other work too, purely out of curiosity. But I only want to hear it if they choose to share it. I feel bad enough having heard Old Tunes etc as they didn't officially release it.

Their art.
Their choice.

Totally behind this POV. I feel a bit guilty about being swayed into doing the old tunes poll. It's not really supposed to be in our possession to be judged!

But then it's also foolish pretending that none of us have it already.

Having said that, part of me still suspects that the old tunes / R35 tapes were BOCs version of the soundcloud dump. I really wouldn't be surprised if they were behind it, having a big old laugh at us.

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:You're right about the last point, I'll give you that much.

Then why have you been posting in this thread so much?

I could ask you the same question.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
They don't really owe anyone anything, of course...but that goes against how most artists present themselves in the 21st century. In an era where everyone is on Twitter and every last bit of ephemera is out there in the open, I'm sure their approach makes no sense to some, maybe especially younger listeners, because this is the sort of environment that they have always existed in. Even RDJ has caved, so its hard to be mad at people with an entitlement mentality because its possible those people have never known differently, but that's another story.

I'm of two minds about it, it keeps them and what they do special, and I feel someone well loved like BoC should keep the torch of quality control and "mystery" lit (I don't know how else to describe it) - but its important to know that people in life can still choose to not be open books. As someone else mentioned, the value and concept of curation has been lost on some listeners. I used to love the whole process of getting a new album home from the shop, checking out the art or lyrics while listening, and then if I really loved it, maybe tracking down the import singles later on to check out the outtakes...the romance of that whole process is all a dead art now, more or less. Vinyl's resurgence carries the tradition somewhat, but its the niche approach rather than the zeitgeist which is too bad. Not enough value is placed on the content and how it's presented.

But man, I'd really just love to know the song titles for R35TT!

Sherbet Head
people are way too expectant nowadays

let them lead their lives

Dayvan Cowboy
Opothecary wrote:They don't really owe anyone anything, of course...but that goes against how most artists present themselves in the 21st century. In an era where everyone is on Twitter and every last bit of ephemera is out there in the open, I'm sure their approach makes no sense to some, maybe especially younger listeners, because this is the sort of environment that they have always existed in. Even RDJ has caved, so its hard to be mad at people with an entitlement mentality because its possible those people have never known differently, but that's another story.

I'm of two minds about it, it keeps them and what they do special, and I feel someone well loved like BoC should keep the torch of quality control and "mystery" lit (I don't know how else to describe it) - but its important to know that people in life can still choose to not be open books. As someone else mentioned, the value and concept of curation has been lost on some listeners. I used to love the whole process of getting a new album home from the shop, checking out the art or lyrics while listening, and then if I really loved it, maybe tracking down the import singles later on to check out the outtakes...the romance of that whole process is all a dead art now, more or less. Vinyl's resurgence carries the tradition somewhat, but its the niche approach rather than the zeitgeist which is too bad. Not enough value is placed on the content and how it's presented.

But man, I'd really just love to know the song titles for R35TT!

Amen

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada