RE-EDIT70 aka BoC - Amo Bishop Roden (Pattern Remix)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Probably missed a thread about it but....

Available as a free download: http://www.patttten.com/re-edits/

Or youtube it here https://youtu.be/iMwk8dWdMYU

Posts Quantity
I was a bit confused by this at first but a little more info https://warp.net/news/patten-re-edits-v ... -download/

Posts Quantity
Oh and it's about on par with Hudmo's. Not great.

Eagle Minded
What a crock of shit. Sorry if that offends anyone but why on earth are BOC allowing these awful bastardisations?

Dayvan Cowboy
I like the drums, but they really don't fit with the rest of the music at all. It doesn't work. He should make another song with those drums, and leave Amo Bishop Roden alone.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Posts Quantity
portiss wrote:I like the drums, but they really don't fit with the rest of the music at all. It doesn't work. He should make another song with those drums, and leave Amo Bishop Roden alone.

I agree that the drums are actually quite good, and I also agree that they don't fit with the Amo synth riff. However, that doesn't mean they should've left the track alone. What they should have done was go the Odd Nosdam route and completely rework the riffs and melodies of the track so that they both sound nothing like the original and fit the drum pattern. Just cause you're remixing a track doesn't mean it has to have any recognizable elements of the original, and it so happens that some of my favorite remixes (Odd Nosdam's DC remix included) are essentially completely new, standalone tracks.

I'm just disappointed that these guys didn't go all out.
Welcome, my friend. These are my people; now they are your people too.

Sherbet Head
I've never heard of Pattern, but I don't know why you linked to a patten track.

portiss wrote:I like the drums, but they really don't fit with the rest of the music at all. It doesn't work. He should make another song with those drums, and leave Amo Bishop Roden alone.

Or just throw the drums out altogether because there have been countless songs already made with them over the past 25 years.

ScienceGuy wrote:Just cause you're remixing a track doesn't mean it has to have any recognizable elements of the original, and it so happens that some of my favorite remixes (Odd Nosdam's DC remix included) are essentially completely new, standalone tracks.

This is completely true. Compare this great track with one of my favorite remixes ever.

Sherbet Head
Wow I did NOT like that at all.

At least we are getting remixes, one I like will come soon I know it!
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Posts Quantity
patten (there's no extra R) are actually quite good. I would assume that this isn't officially endorsed/enabled by BOC since only the opening chord progression is used and therefor the individual parts/stems would not be required (also since it's available for free.) And I guess if you think of this as a new track that just samples the Bishop Roden chords then it's not bad. Certainly no more obnoxious than a lot of Mike Paradinas's stuff (for example.)

Eagle Minded
Ok, who approved of this.
Seriously, what will the next Amo Bishop Roden be like, the same track with loud screams on top of it?
Out and about.

Sherbet Head
breadmaker wrote:Certainly no more obnoxious than a lot of Mike Paradinas's stuff (for example.)

This may be the most retarded thing I've ever read on this site (and there was some pretty stupid stuff being said in the brexit thread). Please, stop.

Posts Quantity
drillkicker wrote:
breadmaker wrote:Certainly no more obnoxious than a lot of Mike Paradinas's stuff (for example.)

This may be the most retarded thing I've ever read on this site (and there was some pretty stupid stuff being said in the brexit thread). Please, stop.

lol. you don't think a lot of those early mu-ziq tracks are obnoxious? (disclaimer - I do enjoy most of mike p's stuff.)

sorry was just trying to gauge whether the hostile reaction to this track was because of the percussion or because it's a defamation of a beloved BOC track. personally I'm indifferent to the whole thing.

Sherbet Head
breadmaker wrote:
drillkicker wrote:

lol. you don't think a lot of those early mu-ziq tracks are obnoxious? (disclaimer - I do enjoy most of mike p's stuff.)

sorry was just trying to gauge whether the hostile reaction to this track was because of the percussion or because it's a defamation of a beloved BOC track. personally I'm indifferent to the whole thing.

It isn't about defamation, it's about absolute lack of creativity. Anyone could choose to take the chords from a well-known song and just paste generic, unfitting breaks over it. The track has absolutely no substance. As for Mike P, he's an actually creative musician. Even when his tracks are annoying and unpleasant (which they are at times), they're still tracks that other people probably wouldn't have made. Whether it's good or bad, he's still undeniably doing his own, distinct thing, especially in his most recent releases. This patten remix sounds like something any amateur IDM remixer would have made in about a day's play put on their newly created Soundcloud page. Even my first amateur remix that I put on Soundcloud is significantly more interesting than this shit. It's unbelievable to me that this is what a professional musician decided to make and then considered a finished track that's worth sharing. I understand that all musicians have some creations that they decide to release that aren't quite up to par with their best works, or just don't sound right. Even my favorite artists are guilty of this. But nobody who knows what they're doing and has experience with creating interesting music would put this little effort or innovation into a track and call it done. It's just embarrassing, and it's sad that this is what it takes to get signed to Warp these days.

Posts Quantity
I just started laughing at it, I figured it was a joke, like there's no way someone seriously created that thing. And then I listened to the rest of the tracks. Now I'm not sure. Man they might be serious. Anyway, I hear that a good amount about Mike--liking his new stuff, not liking a lot of his old stuff. It's likely missing out on a lot, his old stuff can pay off if given a real chance. From where I stand most of it's gems, it just takes some real listening. Mike's sorta like Richard--to really get him is to give most of his output a fair chance. BTW thanks for the re-edit stuff novayshun. I got nothin for the Amo Bishop Roden treatment, but there are a few other tracks that actually go somewhere I kinda like.

Nova Scotia Robot
Stavorius wrote:Ok, who approved of this.
Seriously, what will the next Amo Bishop Roden be like, the same track with loud screams on top of it?

You mean like this? -> http://youtubedoubler.com/iJXV

Many thousands of dollars, please. 8) :lol: :?

Eagle Minded
747Music wrote:
Stavorius wrote:Ok, who approved of this.

You mean like this? -> http://youtubedoubler.com/iJXV

Many thousands of dollars, please. 8) :lol: :?

HAHAHAHAHA FUCKING BRAVO!

I actually liked Hud Mo's remix...this is just awful.

NEEEEEEXT! :mrgreen:
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Eagle Minded
The percussion doesnt fit at all IMO

Return to Boards of Canada