What are your hopes/expectations for the next release?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

What are your hopes/expectations for a new release?

New LP or EP
61%
Collection of bonus tracks, remixes and compilation appearances
3%
An Old Tunes/Pre-Twoism box set
35%

Total votes: 88

Eagle Minded
Can someone spell it out? Or is this satire
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Dayvan Cowboy
It's a whole 'nother month

Dayvan Cowboy
They have liked a couple of tweets from Michael Grasso recently:

https://twitter.com/MuseumMichael

Notice how he's standing next to a picture of a magic square. No matter which way you read the numbers, left to right, up and down, diagonally, they always add up to 34. Wouldn't it be kind of cool if someone created something similar to a magic square in a different medium, but with months/dates instead of just 1-16?

Posts Quantity
How about that as an album cover for a new album with 16 tracks where each track stands on its own, but tracks along the summation lines of a magic square (1-4, 1/6/11/16, 1/5/9/13, etc) blend into each other to make a longer song. Never mind that would be hard as f. But if you could pull it off...

Friendly Stranger
tonx wrote:a new Hell Interface record is what 2016 really needs.

This would be amazing! I just want to hear their perspective, especially after this intense year.

20 minutes ago they just approved a comment I made to them on FB.
I said, "I miss you guys, and I really hope the inspiration for a new album is in the works! <3 <3 <3"
The real exciting part is they hit the love button on it!!
Squeeeee!!
I'll take that as a yes! :P :P :P
It's nice to be seen. We're usually just a nebulous mist.

Wonder Spunion wrote:20 minutes ago they just approved a comment I made to them on FB.
I said, "I miss you guys, and I really hope the inspiration for a new album is in the works! <3 <3 <3"
The real exciting part is they hit the love button on it!!
Squeeeee!!
I'll take that as a yes! :P :P :P

Can you directly link to this comment? Can't seem to find it.

Sherbet Head
faster, harder and more acidic please

Dayvan Cowboy
mr3 wrote:How about that as an album cover for a new album with 16 tracks where each track stands on its own, but tracks along the summation lines of a magic square (1-4, 1/6/11/16, 1/5/9/13, etc) blend into each other to make a longer song. Never mind that would be hard as f. But if you could pull it off...

I love your rogueish sarcasm. :)

Fredd-E wrote:Can you directly link to this comment? Can't seem to find it.

http://i.imgur.com/Wvkb7b9.png

Dayvan Cowboy

Dayvan Cowboy
What's everyone loving to go back to right now? Macquarie Ridge is excellent, I like it twice as much as anything else on TCH. On further reflection, the spoken word interlude from Nothing is Real subtracts something from its overall beauty...

Eagle Minded
I fully expect some of this to make it as part of *insert_new_release_name_here*'s artwork :mrgreen:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/cassini-beams-back-first-images-from-new-orbit
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Dayvan Cowboy

Dayvan Cowboy

Sherbet Head
Dunno about the release. I usually try not to expect because then I can shift with the new material more easily. I would like them to start doing live gigs again.

Nova Scotia Robot
I would looove a new LP of very happy stuff like roygbiv's atmosphere of childhood fun. And maybe mixed with melancholy ambient songs. Bright and fun with bits of sadness as interludes.

Eagle Minded
drixlin wrote:I fully expect some of this to make it as part of *insert_new_release_name_here*'s artwork :mrgreen:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/cassini-beams-back-first-images-from-new-orbit

If this was an announcement, it would be the best one ever.
Out and about.

Dayvan Cowboy
I’m reviving this thread because I was reading the beginning of the “General New Release Speculation” thread for some (semi-masochistic) laughs, and was kind of surprised to see that some people totally called the mood/subject matter of Tomorrow’s Harvest back in 2010 - 2011. Like, nailed it, straight on the head. Dark, apocalyptic, nostalgia that’s more cold-war paranoia than childhood memories, themes of disaster, overpopulation, etc. I think at least some of that was due to BoC’s page header on the Warp site having a picture of a mushroom cloud on it, but even so, some of those comments were almost prophetic.

So, now here we are a couple of years after this thread was started - I’m wondering if anyone is picking up on any current vibes that might lead them to make any predictions about where BoC could be going with their next release?

TH seemed like sort of a logical progression from their other work, but I don’t really have any good ideas about what would come next for them after that, thematically. In terms of mood, they seem to alternate between more upbeat and darker, so maybe we’ll get something less gloomy?

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:I’m reviving this thread because I was reading the beginning of the “General New Release Speculation” thread for some (semi-masochistic) laughs, and was kind of surprised to see that some people totally called the mood/subject matter of Tomorrow’s Harvest back in 2010 - 2011. Like, nailed it, straight on the head. Dark, apocalyptic, nostalgia that’s more cold-war paranoia than childhood memories, themes of disaster, overpopulation, etc. I think at least some of that was due to BoC’s page header on the Warp site having a picture of a mushroom cloud on it, but even so, some of those comments were almost prophetic.

So, now here we are a couple of years after this thread was started - I’m wondering if anyone is picking up on any current vibes that might lead them to make any predictions about where BoC could be going with their next release?

TH seemed like sort of a logical progression from their other work, but I don’t really have any good ideas about what would come next for them after that, thematically. In terms of mood, they seem to alternate between more upbeat and darker, so maybe we’ll get something less gloomy?

phpBB [media]
A MHTRTC TCH like album with a bit of real piano's.
Also a bit of aphex twin rhubarb like stuff I guess
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

I predict something that feels like a sequel to Campfire Headphase... critics will talk about it as a sort of groundbreaking immersive VR experience requiring only good headphones and darkness.
preparation for a dive.

Dayvan Cowboy
tonx wrote:I predict something that feels like a sequel to Campfire Headphase...

Ditto. BoC are always developing and exploring new ideas.
Here is an interview I recently re-constituted from google-translated Japanese from the TCH era:
http://bocpages.org/wiki/Electronic_Wonderland

"Are you able to tell us your plans for the future?
Mike: We have begun laying the framework out for the next album. A project that we will see completed a few years down the line. It will be a work, an aspect of music, that we haven't touched on before"

It implies that TH is just an area of music they wished to explore for an album and not a permanent state of music focusing on nihilism in relation to the future and the current state of the world.

In my opinion, there are two documentary releases thusfar: IABPOITC was one they did extensive research on in relation to the Branch Davidians, as we have confirmation from a Branch Davidian who was pretty high up in the heirarchy having had a conversation with BoC around the time of the EP's inception. TH was another of these documentary albums, but the real meaning and how they did their research might take a while to unfold as we gather information.

All of the other releases focus primarily around feeling, and I would go so far as to venture that it is in relation to their personal experiences. We can most likely expect a future release going back to the bittersweetness of nostalgia etc, albeit in a direction that takes us completely by surprise.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada