GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Let's not forget, the replacement tweet on that day was directed by "Melissa Olson"

Dayvan Cowboy
Here's my 7/21 post a day earlier than promised since I will be heading to Vermont to drink way too many good beers starting tomorrow. I said I would give a general overview of where we are at in 2017 and what I feel is yet to come, so here we go down the rabbit hole for the second last time.

Let's take note of the sum of tweets and likes on their Twitter account - 83. They have 146 videos on their official playlist on YouTube. We are one number away in both cases from the sequence that they have been following this year - 7/21/42/84/147 (147 being the sum of 21/42/84 and July 21st (7x21=147) being the release date of Mr. Mistake)

Right now I've got my eye on November 10th as an important date for a few reasons. It's a Friday and it fits the 7/?/42/84 scheme, with 21 being the only missing number at this point. At this point, we can only reach 21 via addition or subtraction, multiplication is off the table as of July 3rd.

Possibly most importantly, the same way that Soundcloud gave us the release date of the Mr. Mistake vinyl in advance (Geogaddi listed as released in 2007 with track 21 of the album replaced with an Aphex Twin tune, we were given 21/7, or July 21st. There is something similarly interesting happening with the order of tracks on the TH album listing:

We have 10 and 11 up top, followed by what could be interpreted by the year. I will explain another completely unrelated way we get to November 10th in my final post on July 31st.

Here's an overview of the numbers in each sequence and which dates they occurred:

84 - 28/3/17 (28x3) - Dayvan Cowboy - the only "official" video in the sequence so far, and shows a turn to 2017 now being about highlighting their own work, not remixes for other artists or appreciation of fan videos as was the case in 2016.

7 - 3/4/17 (3+4) - Video 146 (14x6=84) is added to the video playlist. Note that 14/6/16 is the date that they liked a post featuring Left Side Drive, before posting it themselves exactly 4 months later.

42 - 7/6/17 (7x6) - New run of official t-shirts is announced.

147 - 21/7/17 (21x7, or 84+42+21) - Mr. Mistake picture disk is released. It was announced on June 17th, which doesn't really match the sequence - however, if we jump 146 days past June 17th (146 is the current video playlist count) we again land on November 10th. We were also given [b]6-1-7[/b/] ahead of time via the Left Side Drive/Open the Light/Dayvan Cowboy tweets, matching these videos to their placement on the Youtube playlist.

Where does 21 fit in? The most likely candidates are October 11th or November 10th but there's too many odd "coincidences" that make the latter date seem the most likely. As I mentioned, my last post in this thread on July 31st will cover how the Peacock Tail post lines up with this date too.

Let's look at where the number 110 fits in to things (11x10)

- there were exactly 110 days between the final post of 2016 (December 8th) and the first post of 2017 (March 28th).

- Video 110 in the video playlist is Aquarius Version 3. It includes counting, but most importantly the numbers 24 and 42 in sequence (key numbers in the 2016 and 2017 patterns). It was also published to Youtube on March 31st, 2009. Why is that date important? Remembering when the March 11th, 2012 tweet was deleted on March 28th, 2017, we already had a timestamp of 3:11am MT (or March 11th) from the band's Left Side Drive tweet. The OTHER Left Side Drive tweet that they liked earlier in the year was posted at 3:31am MT (or March 31st) on June 14th (6x14=84) - it follows that with the date/time similarities between the two Left Side Drive posts, we should treat the other post's timestamp as a date too.

Lastly, I will make some assumptions about the period of time between when we can expect an announcement on the new release front and when it becomes available. Warp tends to give a 7 week or so window between when they announce and release an album - for example, the RSD incident took place on April 20th, 2013 and the album was released June 10th (in most places) for a 51 day difference.

This means that focusing on November 10th, it will either be announced in mid-September and released that day, or announced that day and released December 29th (7 weeks later) - this is all assuming it falls on a Friday which is the typical day of the week for new releases.

Dayvan Cowboy
One last very important thought - remember this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10933

Tracks 7 and 14 (7+14) are a pair. It's also worth noting that one track is 2:16, the other is 2:18 - the average is 2:17

Posts Quantity
Aphex Twin counter has reached zero:

https://www.facebook.com/warprecords/po ... 6718642686

Posts Quantity
Appendix:

Last month, Aphex Twin launched a mysterious countdown on his website. It began on Saturday, June 3—the same day Aphex performed at Field Day festival in London, where he sold a mysterious 12” and live-streamed his set for the first time in his career. Today, Aphex Twin tweeted, “Open. Come in…,” revealing a brand new store and listening platform on his site. There are expanded editions of albums like Syro and Drukqs, as well as a number of tracks that are labeled “New,” which means they are available to purchase and stream officially for the first time, an Aphex Twin representative confirmed. The tag includes items that appear to be unreleased (like a song called “consta-lume” that’s tacked onto ...I Care Because You Do) and others that have previously surfaced online (like “4xAtlantis take 1,” which was in a Sequentix video). There is also music by the Tuss, a mysterious artist whom many believed to be Richard D. James.

Hi, I know this is the new release speculation topic, but I'm going to treat it as a random topic for this question because I'm sure the answer is "nothing is there" but I just noticed on the repress of my Geogaddi vinyl, on the etched side, there's the family, but there's also a few grooves that go the entire way around the family. Has anyone dropped the needle on them or took a macro picture to see if there's anything there? Or are they spaced in some weird mathematical way?

It's weird to me that it's not just the etching of the family. Boards are way too calculated to just do them for aesthetic reasons..?
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

You know what? It's weird. I put my original pressing on earlier tonight for the first time in ages and chuckled to myself wondering if anyone had ever tried 'playing' the grooves of the family etching. And then 2020K posts this! Co-incidence?!? lol

Slow down...

You & I have been in sync a lot lately, Mexi.

LOL @ if someone tried to play the actual family though.

The rings around the family...I'm very curious. I know nothing about vinyl making so if someone could just say "that's how etched vinyl happens," that'd be great. If NOT, someone figure out how to decode those rings!
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
Don't have Geogaddi vinyl but It isn't normal for LP's to have locked grooves unless they contain some kind of content, usually it spirals to the very edge of the label and the arm being in that position signals to your record player to raise the needle. Has anyone dropped a needle in there to see if there is a loop of some description?

Dayvan Cowboy
On the promotional version there was a locked groove of 'Beware the friendly stranger' but that doesn't apply to original or reissues. Can someone take a picture of said markings? Am I mistaken in calling it a locked groove based on your descriptions or ?

Yeah I'm keen to see this too. The original pressing doesn't have anything other than the family etching.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
1:26 of silence as per Magic Window maybe? Just throwing it out there as a possibility, I don't have the vinyl

Sherbet Head
I just checked my copy of the repress, not seeing any grooves...

https://imgur.com/a/ZyqZ2

Dayvan Cowboy
People are having so much fun with RDJ's new webstore, I am insanely jealous as a BoC fan. I hope they go a similar route someday.

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote:People are having so much fun with RDJ's new webstore, I am insanely jealous as a BoC fan. I hope they go a similar route someday.

A website where we could stream all the stuff that we haven't yet heard and which may be problematic to ever give "official" re-releases to would be magnificent. Pretty much the top of my BoC bucket (wish)list, alongside a new album or three of course.
preparation for a dive.

Friendly Stranger
Opothecary wrote:People are having so much fun with RDJ's new webstore, I am insanely jealous as a BoC fan. I hope they go a similar route someday.

I think what makes that new webstore special is that RDJ is also having fun with it, you can see the little notes he's written on some of the releases and the jokes in the site and that makes it feel personal. I really wouldn't care if Warp made the same site without any of the details and the goofy theme.

Sherbet Head
Chroma02 wrote:

I think what makes that new webstore special is that RDJ is also having fun with it, you can see the little notes he's written on some of the releases and the jokes in the site and that makes it feel personal. I really wouldn't care if Warp made the same site without any of the details and the goofy theme.

yeah its real good, I also enjoy the way it's been put together. and of course the tunes are mind-meltingly brilliant.

you never know BOC may follow suit, though in a style of their own.

as they get older their hardened stance with almost zero communication with one of the most loyal fanbase in music will probably soften.

time will tell.

Dayvan Cowboy
northernlite wrote:I just checked my copy of the repress, not seeing any grooves...

https://imgur.com/a/ZyqZ2

I think 'the ring' they where talking about was the difference in shade around the edge of the record as is usual as opposed to a locked groove, shame really. Was looking forward to a bit of a mystery.

Dayvan Cowboy
In one week, we celebrate 420 in July on the anniversary of the Peacock Tail post. Be there or be square!

Sherbet Head
There is no pepe silva.
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada