Sometimes - Sexual Objects / Boards remix

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Negamuse wrote:It doesn't feel drawn out to me, it builds slow for sure, but all that time seems needed. I can't think where they could have cut time.

It is laid back though even when it gets going. There's no immediacy in it, it's just a wash of slow burning tune that dissolves to an almost lullaby conclusion. I can see how that might divide opinion... I love it personally, it feels confident.

That's a better translation of the song, and the songs aight.

Posts Quantity
Xaugh wrote:
Negamuse wrote:It doesn't feel drawn out to me, it builds slow for sure, but all that time seems needed. I can't think where they could have cut time.

It is laid back though even when it gets going. There's no immediacy in it, it's just a wash of slow burning tune that dissolves to an almost lullaby conclusion. I can see how that might divide opinion... I love it personally, it feels confident.

That's a better translation of the song, and the songs aight.

dude you were right in the first place this song sucks balls

Dayvan Cowboy
Since (and possibly starting with) the Campfire Headphase, why does almost every new BoC track receive quite a notable amount of negativity for a few months before it sinks in and people realise that the music is as golden as ever but constantly changing in atmosphere?

It happened with Harvest to quite a large extent and people adore that album a few short years down the line.

With BoC it seems to be about re-playability, there is far far too much going on for one to consciously percieve it all in the first few listens so that is why more recent BoC is far more of a grower than a shower (no pun intended).

Sherbet Head
Valotonin wrote:Since (and possibly starting with) the Campfire Headphase, why does almost every new BoC track receive quite a notable amount of negativity for a few months before it sinks in and people realise that the music is as golden as ever but constantly changing in atmosphere?

It happened with Harvest to quite a large extent and people adore that album a few short years down the line.

With BoC it seems to be about re-playability, there is far far too much going on for one to consciously percieve it all in the first few listens so that is why more recent BoC is far more of a grower than a shower (no pun intended).

the WATMMers are leaking :lol:

edit: (not you, the posts you're referring to), also honestly, it's probably partly due to the fact that the last three remixes weren't really Telephasic Workshop level psychedelic rollercoasters, so people's expectations get kinda mixed up with their many-year wait for new material.. methinks.

Eagle Minded
I quite liked this remix.

Boqurant
at 2:57 of the music video there's that heart-warming shot of the brothers singing the chorus into the mic... is this to imply that we're actually hearing Mike and Marcus' vocals backing the main vocals, or is it vice versa? will we ever know? has anyone found the original song?!

phpBB [media]

also that "are you okay?" sample hits me in the core each time i hear it. thank you boc, i'm okay :')

Posts Quantity
armotron wrote:at 2:57 of the music video there's that heart-warming shot of the brothers singing the chorus into the mic... is this to imply that we're actually hearing Mike and Marcus' vocals backing the main vocals, or is it vice versa? will we ever know? has anyone found the original song?!

https://thesexualobjects.bandcamp.com/track/sometimes
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Boqurant
thx :oops:

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm surprised that quite a few people didn't receive this track too well when the more I listen to it, the more I think it points in BOC's new direction. Unlike the other remixes of this era, I feel this one gives us the warmth of The Campfire Headphase but done fully electronic.

When I hear this track, I picture a touching campfire scene in the middle of the night. The warm and bright synth hums at the start of the track are the flames of the campfire brightening the pitch dark night. Slowly we emerge from the drones into some feel good-piano that embodies the good feeling everyone has sitting around the campfire together. The equally feel-good chorus of "sometimes" is everyone singing and rocking back and forth along the logs, happy because of the togetherness or because they're high off something.

Either way, fond memories were made and the people have left the cold, derelict buildings of Tomorrow's Harvest and found a forest grove to live in. Boards and the people in their musical world have returned to the world of campfires and nature. I'll make this clear, I definitely feel that Boards as iwell-rounded people don't fully believe in nihilism or else they wouldn't have made this heartwarming track after their apocalyptic record.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:I'll make this clear, I definitely feel that Boards as iwell-rounded people don't fully believe in nihilism or else they wouldn't have made this heartwarming track after their apocalyptic record.

I've read that interview again recently and that quote sounds like we as people have become more nihilistic, not brothers.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:I'm surprised that quite a few people didn't receive this track too well when the more I listen to it, the more I think it points in BOC's new direction. Unlike the other remixes of this era, I feel this one gives us the warmth of The Campfire Headphase but done fully electronic.

When I hear this track, I picture a touching campfire scene in the middle of the night. The warm and bright synth hums at the start of the track are the flames of the campfire brightening the pitch dark night. Slowly we emerge from the drones into some feel good-piano that embodies the good feeling everyone has sitting around the campfire together. The equally feel-good chorus of "sometimes" is everyone singing and rocking back and forth along the logs, happy because of the togetherness or because they're high off something.

Either way, fond memories were made and the people have left the cold, derelict buildings of Tomorrow's Harvest and found a forest grove to live in. Boards and the people in their musical world have returned to the world of campfires and nature. I'll make this clear, I definitely feel that Boards as iwell-rounded people don't fully believe in nihilism or else they wouldn't have made this heartwarming track after their apocalyptic record.

It's too obviously positive. Tomorrow's Harvest was never that dark on the surface. It is also nor very dark nor very bright. It is something in the middle.

Dayvan Cowboy
Moz wrote:
Echelon wrote:I'll make this clear, I definitely feel that Boards as iwell-rounded people don't fully believe in nihilism or else they wouldn't have made this heartwarming track after their apocalyptic record.

I've read that interview again recently and that quote sounds like we as people have become more nihilistic, not brothers.

I really hope that's the case actually. In addition, to dark and trippy music like Geogaddi and TH, they've made some life affirming music like TCH, Poppy Seed Reprise, Roygbiv, Aquarius etc. I've always found their music was very emotionally intelligent and capable of covering many moods so to hear that they threw that away in favor of nihilism was a bit of a downer.

Also Arvy, I feel the "too positive" criticism is one leveled at TCH too. I really feel this remix is kind of an electronic successor to the mood of TCH. I may be a Geogaddi fan first and foremost, but I do have room for a sunny, happy BOC too.

SOMETIMES I WISH I HAD BABY.

SOOOOMETIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMESSSSSSSS.

This is still my favorite BOC remix. It pushed the Beck one down to #2.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Posts Quantity
It's no Dead Dogs Two

Posts Quantity
Mikey wrote:It's no Dead Dogs Two

As a fellow Mikey, this is where I stand as well -- IMO it doesn't get much better than BoC meets cLOUDDEAD (or vice versa). At the Twoism meetup a few years ago, I was surprised to see how few people were fans of cLOUDDEAD, considering that as a collective their members have been remixed ~4 times~ now by BoC, a fortune bestowed onto no other! Oh yeah, and the ISB sample in the Dead Dogs Two mix will never cease to make me smile :)

Indeed I quite dig the first half of the Sexual Objects remix, but the vocals seem just a little too...normal...in the context of a BoC arrangement for me. Kinda my same issue with the Nevermen mix. Lest we forget the Beck mix & Michael Fakesch mix, love those trax! Anyway looking forward to hearing whatever gets cooked up next...
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

Dayvan Cowboy
Just had another spin of my Sometimes '45. There's some really gorgeous psychedelic stuff in the first half before the piano riff comes in. Those little keyboard flutters makes me think of that fluttery ambient part of Soft Machine's Out-Bloody-Rageous.

I'm also a big fan of the crescendo. There's some parts that sound like violins at the end and it's really majestic sounding. I do agree that the vocals (they sound like a weaker Kevin Barnes) don't fit with the majesty aside from the "Sometimes" chant.

I think we're going for a summer of love after a winter of death here.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada