Some weird thing from the 98 archive of the boc site.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Unlikely, but I'll let my imagination take over for a second.

Could TH have potentially been something in waiting. Music made about the likely vector of technology, geopolitical situations and resources at a certain point in time (or maybe something far more specific) that wasn't to be unveiled until such a time as a specific event or scenario took place? A bit of a time capsule but entirely different?

Dayvan Cowboy
Okay, shit is getting real.
Thank you for pointing out that there was the hexagonal source code within the original page by the way, great find.

This line of code is taken directly from the archival webpage and would indicate that 'Cosescha Transmissiones' (Harvest Transmissions) was the name given to the console at some point in 2005 or before:
<script src="/web/20150314171507js_/http://cosecha-transmisiones.com/x.js"></script>

This is strange considering Cosecha Transmissiones wasn't visible to the public, and thus not archive-able, until April 2013. The code from the Wayback Machine archive is directly referencing a Javascript source for the terminal located on cosecha-transmisiones.com meaning that the website had to have existed, public or not, when this was archived.

Was the website up but hidden this entire time or is the Wayback Machine officially losing its mind?

Dayvan Cowboy
Undoubtedly a wayback machine bug ;(

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:Undoubtedly a wayback machine bug ;(

Are you entirely sure?
Its a possibility and god knows I am not exactly proficient in web coding other than HTML, but having the Wayback machine put a code sourcing the console from Cosecha Transmissiones into (for all it knows) an unrelated archive of a website created in 2005 seems like a bit of a stretch.

Also, luminousdusk (on the previous page) said that he was certain he remembered seeing the console before the TH campaign.
If it was a separate console that had since had its source deleted, it would just show an error or blank box where the Javascript should be, it sounds like something that could be a glitch on the surface but having a snapshot from 2005 referencing Javascript from an entirely different website seems like a curious and unlikely error if it is one.

Edit: And just to add that it does explicitly state that the last interactive login to the Cosescha 'terminal' was in 1996.
Maybe that date wasn't placed there for some kind of numerical significance and was in fact the time that the Cosecha Terminal was last altered.

Summary: I am so incredibly desperate for a BoC related Mystery.

Sherbet Head
Yes I saw it some time between Geogaddi and TCH, Definatly before TCH. Im afraid thats all I know.

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah, we pored over every inch of the source of that website when the black box was all the rage, and if the Cosecha stuff had been in there at that time we'd have seen it. The TH release "ARG" (such as it was) was something Warp's marketing cooked up on the run up to TH's release... I very much doubt that the band had anything to do with it

Posts Quantity
Negamuse wrote:Yeah, we pored over every inch of the source of that website when the black box was all the rage, and if the Cosecha stuff had been in there at that time we'd have seen it. The TH release "ARG" (such as it was) was something Warp's marketing cooked up on the run up to TH's release... I very much doubt that the band had anything to do with it

That's what I thought, which is why it seemed so weird that it should appear on a page from 8 years ago. The obvious explanation is that the Wayback site somehow got the files mixed up for that date, but since that's the whole point of their site it seems like quite a basic error!

The Spotify 'error' with 1969.
WayBackMachine 'error' linking to the ARG.
Wasn't there an error with a track on another site that linked to an Aphex track or something (help me out here Opothecary)

I'm reaching...but could a theme be emerging? Ghosts in the machine?
#callingitfirst

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Where is MDG when you need him?

Everyone get in a circle and hold hands whilst crushing oranges and kicking them to the center.
Its time for an Ol' fashioned summoning.

Ha ha. I'll give him a bell on the BOCphone, see if he's back from the pub.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
He's probably learned to meditate to the point of levitation in the time he has spent living in the Gents. If the mods would stop slipping him peanuts and pork scratchings when they think we aren't looking maybe we could catch him while he is out searching for nibbles.

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah, about the Soundcloud thing, it was kind of a crossover with their Twitter/YouTube activity at the time too.

They posted videos 15, 6, 1 and 7 on Twitter in that order, that ended up spelling out June 15th, 2017 which was the date the Mr. Mistake vinyl was announced for July 21st, 2017.

At the same time on Soundcloud, they swapped in an RDJ song for track 21 of Geogaddi, and had the album year listed as 2007 instead of 2002, two "mistakes" that spelled out 7/21.

Sherbet Head
There is a reason for this weird things1.html. The archive is just using a other archive from 2015 of the site (Most likely the xml or what ever) As a substitute for the missing site. Proof can be found in sourcecode.
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Telepath
The javascript terminal emulator used was first commited to github on April 5th 2013, 15 days before record store day kicking off the entire campaign.

https://github.com/eosterberg/terminaljs/commits/master

Coincidence? I think not.

Sherbet Head
Cupz wrote:The javascript terminal emulator used was first commited to github on April 5th 2013, 15 days before record store day kicking off the entire campaign.

https://github.com/eosterberg/terminaljs/commits/master

Coincidence? I think not.

So, what you and others are saying is that it's not nearly as old as the internet archive is making it seem?

Damn, that bums me out. And here I was ready to state unequivocally that the bros make highly sophisticated plans kept well under cover years in advance before unleashing them on the unsuspecting public.

Telepath
They have, it was called Tomorrows Harvest 8)

Sherbet Head
Cupz wrote:They have, it was called Tomorrows Harvest 8)

Yeah, but it would be so much cooler if they had written that terminal emulator nearly a decade before TH came out, because that would mean they're, like, a decade ahead of us in terms of EVERYTHING! :oops:

Dayvan Cowboy
)-:

They should be taking notes.
An ARG is being created for the album that won't be found until 2037, don't you worry.

Sherbet Head
Isn't it possible that they came up with the terminal thing years ago and just saved it for when they thought the time was right? TH wasn't their first venture into the ARG thing

Edit-

Remember the redmoon incident back in 2005? Perhaps the console was active around then and a code was to be entered into it to real something?

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:
deadfly wrote:
drixlin wrote:So, here's an interesting tidbit from this - I poked around a little bit and found a posting from Feb 28, 2005 that looks kind of familiar...

https://web.archive.org/web/20050228015104/http://www.boardsofcanada.com/things1.html

If you inspect the html on this page you can see this:

<!--
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ ------ / ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ \
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\______________________________/
-->

(gets kind of messed up on here but it's a hexagon with ------ / ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ in the middle). If this really is from 2005 it has blown my mind slightly

That was also in the source code of the official Cosecha Transmissiones website.
So the numerical hex clues where put in place eight years before?
Does that mean that someone could have potentially found the TH transmission shortly after Campfire Headphase?

How long ago was TH made anyway?
Maybe there is a reason that on all CD versions the date lists it as being created in 1995
I don't think a single sample source found within the CD dates to anywhere after 1995 actually.

Keep in mind that a lot of MHTRTC was written around the time Twoism was being released if BoC Maxima was a 1996 record.

Don't know what you're talking about, really. I own both the CD and vinyl versions of TH and "2013" is written everywhere, not 1995.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada