Canceled official release of old tunes and older tracks.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Warp and BOC have been in talks for a long while about
putting out a box set of old tracks from these tapes and others, with new packaging and art, to
be released sometime after the forthcoming record. The tapes were private comps given out to close
friends a few years ago, long before the band imagined there would be this kind of interest,
and long before the likes of Soulseek etc existed.
From http://bocpages.org/wiki/Old_Tunes_saga
I wonder what happened.
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Nova Scotia Robot
Who said it was cancelled?

AFAIK, they've only said they're working on it and it's taking a long time.

Sherbet Head
747Music wrote:Who said it was cancelled?

AFAIK, they've only said they're working on it and it's taking a long time.

I swore it said cancelled. it dose not after checking again. Must just be false dejavu.

Dayvan Cowboy
Knowing it was cancelled would mean actually hearing updates from them about what they're doing, and it'll be a cold day in hell before we get that.

Nova Scotia Robot
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Knowing it was cancelled would mean actually hearing updates from them about what they're doing, and it'll be a cold day in hell before we get that.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are playing really well lately. If they win the cup, hell will freeze over and we'll have our BoCset. Possibly even this year. But for the love of god soon!! Please! It's been 51 years! [/hockey rant]

8)

Dayvan Cowboy
Hey, I'm Minnesotan, I can appreciate a good hockey rant.

Also, relevant to OP, was looking through old threads and found this. Less than 10 years old, so not that long, in BoC terms. :lol:

As of 2008, the box set of old material was "99% likely to happen."

mdg wrote:
novayshun wrote:
mdg wrote:
the early things you're mentioning do exist of course, but the band don't want those to be released nowadays. there are obviously a lot more that you haven't mentioned. most bands with a two-decade history are likely to be sitting on a massive archive, just the same. remember the band started in the mid eighties, they didn't simply pop out of thin air with 'twoism'. the only reason 'old tunes' is available now is because one person let the band down.

so are you saying the fabled forthcoming boc-set of old material that you mentioned a while back on watmm that was coming has been shelved again?

p.s. why did you delete your post???

At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. I say that because it hasn't been finally compiled yet. There's a big archive to get through, the obvious tracks that were on various demos and mixtapes given out to friends in the late eighties and early nineties, but also a huge amount of unreleased material that hasn't surfaced so far. There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand. There's been regular debate across here about what goes on them and in what order etc. But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too. Asides from that, let me just say once again for the record, there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming.

Sherbet Head
You all know how much I love The Few Old Tunes tapes.

That would be blissfull if they rereleased it with artwork.

I think I would actually cry tears of joy :mrgreen:
Suck my BUTT

Eagle Minded
Call me a weirdo, but I think news of a remastered/expanded Old Tunes bocset would potentially excite me more than a new album.

Still, I would happily accept ANYTHING at this point.

Dayvan Cowboy
Bocset™
I like it.

Sherbet Head
The first person to post that famous photoshopped image of the box full of tapes in this thread gets a pat on the back and a pop in the chops
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Sherbet Head
there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming.

So the next album is not going to be about new tracks but old one's?

The quotes from mdg above are years old and predate Tomorrow's Harvest ;-)

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah. As I said...

SamuraiDrifter wrote: Less than 10 years old, so not that long, in BoC terms. :lol:

He also did say that another album was coming out first, and TH was the only album that's come out since then, so there's every reason to believe it's still on track. BoC's agonizingly slow, glacial-paced track, that is.

Friendly Stranger
Sherbet Head wrote:Call me a weirdo, but I think news of a remastered/expanded Old Tunes bocset would potentially excite me more than a new album.

Agreed. Just the thought of what might be in their archive fills me with immeasurable desire and wonder.

Sherbet Head
Something tell's me that some guy is going to steal the tapes like the joyrex tapes

Dayvan Cowboy
Flory wrote:Something tells me that some guy is going to steal the tapes like the joyrex tapes

BoC apparently have a really decent Home-Security system at Hexagon Sun they have spoken about on occasion IIRC. I think they made a point to mention it in an interview to dissuade anyone thinking they could get their hands on any old material without it becoming a Mission Impossible spin-off.

Apparently they have some rather vicious trained Haggises that can chase you all around the garden, the trick is to run anti-clockwise, but you didn't hear it from me.

Return to Boards of Canada