‘From One Source All Things Depend’ - context in Geogaddi?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
So Geogaddi is 66.6MB compressed at right mp3 bitrate, weird things backwards, weird time length 66m 6s,

Something pentagram-ish going on on the cover/ creepy, during a ‘chaotic’ time in Sandison’s lives referenced in an interview,

The hype for the release and a listening party or something (with those kaleidoscopes handed out) at CHURCHS across SIX different cities.

But-

‘From one source all things depend’ - is this mocking prayer? Or validating it? And if the latter, thats why its a Japanese bonus exclusive? Or if the former, why would it not be with the release everywhere like ‘one very important thought’ at the end of MHTRTC

Hmmm

Hope this is somehow thought provoking, but I’m sure I’m treading on familiar territory too since BOC rabbit holes are easy ones to go down

Also, made me think of AFX at Day for Night and subliminal occult flashes in the video screen watching a YouTube recording of the performance, etc. :evil:

And HELL interface alias,
**If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.**

Sherbet Head
hmo "From one source all things depends" refers to how the subconscious (to which the higher self communicate trough) affects the world around us.

At least according to the study of occult knowledge.

This can be easily represented with the major arcana tarot card "The lovers"

The male represents the conscious mind and the female represents the subconscious.

The male/conscious mind cannot speak to the one source (the higher self)

The higher self speaks trough the subconscious (which is why the women is looking at the source and the male is looking at the women)

But everything we do depends on this higher self or Ideal self.
Suck my BUTT

Sherbet Head
My sense is that the only way to really know what purpose that track serves is if you know what the meaning of "Geogaddi" is, which many people have speculated on, but only the brothers know for sure.

For me, as an agnostic, it is a possible declaration of BoC's belief that all major/ancient religions are essentially the same, all trying to answer The Big Questions while providing solace and hope for life beyond mortal death.

Why is it only on the Japanese release? I haven't a clue.

Sherbet Head
In the context of the track, I guess it is clear that they want to emphasize the innocence of children when asked about God. But at the same time it emphasizes that children are so vulnerable and therefore prone to indoctrination of religion.

It is an incredible track actually, because that organ in the background of the children's voices gives this feeling of beauty, but sadness at the same time. Beauty because the core message of religion is very pure and points to something beautifully mysterious, but sadness because when taken literal it is no more than a set of rules, indoctrination. It then doesn't mean anything anymore and only creates separation in oneself and between people, with dire consequences like war and violence to oneself and others.

And then there is also the track title itself, which is almost like a statement. It could be something personal, how they experience life, or something that provokes thought and invites self-inquiry to the listener.

Personally I'd refer to the non-duality teachings. There is one source from which all things depend, it's nothing or no-thing, because it cannot be categorized by the mind. It is just the pure, empty knowing of experience by the 'I' that is the same 'I' for everybody. It is that which precedes all experience. It's pure Consciousness or Being and it can only be Now.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

From One Source All Things Depend's context is pretty strong. It's not on the more widely circulated release, but exists. Heaven is not on the more widely circulated plain of existence (that we know of), but (allegedly) exists. If we look at the song strictly from the release of an album point of view, ignoring the internet, the song would (allegedly) exist, but the rest of the world has to travel to one particular spot (that we know of) to get it.

I'm sure Warp went up to BOC and said "hey, Japan needs a bonus track or they won't buy it" and the boys responded "BUT 666!!!!" and it was nothing more than that. But, the inclusion of this song and the meaning of it is a clever move. Even in taking the 666 theories into account, there exists a version of the record that defies that theory and that's some Good Vs Evil bullshit I can get behind.

Geogaddi is great.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Posts Quantity
2020k wrote:Heaven is not on the more widely circulated plain of existence (that we know of), but (allegedly) exists. If we look at the song strictly from the release of an album point of view, ignoring the internet, the song would (allegedly) exist, but the rest of the world has to travel to one particular spot (that we know of) to get it..

wow great analysis! like it
**If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.**

Nova Scotia Robot
2020k is right about Japan. Japan record sales are an unfortunate business. People buy records from other countries and import them for cheaper. So Japan tends to get favored with bonus tracks so Japanese citizens buy records from Japanese shops. Gotta keep the economy going somehow.

It's hard to tell what all the meaning behind 'From One Source' is in the album. Give it your own meaning. There are some interesting ones in here already.

Kinda cool. There is a kid in the sample talking about how he pictures god and says: "Rule the world." But he definitely pronounces it as: "Rue the Whirl".

Boqurant
The band has said in interviews that 'Corsair' is kind of like a breath of fresh air after a tough journey, so "From One Source..." could be like the "light at the end of the tunnel"

Geogaddi cover is not a pentagram but a hexagon, made by reflecting an image on itself. You can see if you look closely at the center of the hexagon is a triangle, and this speaks to the idea of the golden ratio or how nature recursively builds upon itself to make all the myriad forms we see. In my eyes the cover almost represents a hazard symbol which goes along well with the idea of "Energy Warning"

Another sample in the song has a child talking about how god "has a million eyes, a billion" and on later listening this always reminded me of "Tears from the Compound Eye" from The Campfire Headphase.

I also remember seeing somewhere that Magic Window was not BoC's idea to make the album 66 mins long, I thought it was suggested to them by someone from Warp? Rumors of the occult surrounded the band from early on and I thought it was done as a kind of tongue-in-cheek joke.

Sherbet Head
reflex17 wrote:The band has said in interviews that 'Corsair' is kind of like a breath of fresh air after a tough journey, so "From One Source..." could be like the "light at the end of the tunnel"

Geogaddi cover is not a pentagram but a hexagon, made by reflecting an image on itself. You can see if you look closely at the center of the hexagon is a triangle, and this speaks to the idea of the golden ratio or how nature recursively builds upon itself to make all the myriad forms we see. In my eyes the cover almost represents a hazard symbol which goes along well with the idea of "Energy Warning"

Another sample in the song has a child talking about how god "has a million eyes, a billion" and on later listening this always reminded me of "Tears from the Compound Eye" from The Campfire Headphase.

I like the way you see this symbolic stuff. I also never noticed the triangle until now!

Posts Quantity
reflex17 wrote:The band has said in interviews that 'Corsair' is kind of like a breath of fresh air after a tough journey, so "From One Source..." could be like the "light at the end of the tunnel"

I also remember seeing somewhere that Magic Window was not BoC's idea to make the album 66 mins long, I thought it was suggested to them by someone from Warp? Rumors of the occult surrounded the band from early on and I thought it was done as a kind of tongue-in-cheek joke.

Great analysis too! and yes, misspoke I knew it was a hexagon but I guess I threw in 'something pentagram' ish going on perhaps I wasn't aware of, bc it looks like something sinister with the trees and silhouettes of stick figures holding hands... and the general tone of the album itself.

Though now its reminding me of the MHTRTC cover a bit, in a a darker 2D light.

NEVER noticed the faint triangle in the middle of the cover, great observation!

Interesting overlap to draw there, 'tears from the compound eye'. Love it! And interesting the rumors of them being related to occult had dated before geogaddi's release. The 'rue the whirl' thing I knew about / wondered myself :P

this forum always delivers

Sherbet Head
I'm probably reaching here, but anyway. I find it fascinating that, as others have pointed out, Corsair really feels like finally reaching the light at the end of a very dark and long tunnel. After Corsair there is Magic Window, which is nothing but silence. Why though? Could it be a hint that there is something very magical about silence? And what does the word 'window' mean in this context? Is it like a state or a way of seeing? And after Magic Window there is then From One Source All Things Depend, which is like a profound realization/epiphany after the dark and difficult trip of the whole.

I really like how they play with these things and that the themes, soundscapes, imagery and symbols are so open for interpretation by the listener. Let the one who observes fill in the blanks, that is real art imo. Fantastic!

Boqurant
Both Corsair(+Magic Window) and From One Source All Things Depend are perfect endings to the album I think, but in completely different ways. They did an amazing job making 2 10/10 closers. Corsair is just devastating. The perfect nihilistic ending. The epitome of nothingness. The ordeal (preceding tracks in Geogaddi) is over, you got through it! And the result is... nothing. Desolation. There is no hope, no consolation, no light at the end of the tunnel. There is no meaning to what you went through and no future left for you.

Just such a perfect, amazing, gut wrenching, devastating ending.

On the other hand... Out of those feelings, and the minutes of silence you're given in Magic Window to contemplate that devastation... Out of nowhere comes From One Source All Things Depend and it turns out there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There is hope and meaning.

Seriously, that contrast... After everything previous, especially Corsair/Magic Window. This track gets me teary. It's like going through a heap of really bad stuff as an adult and really reaching a nadir and then you get a flashback to your childhood when everything seemed perfect and happy and safe. Or instead of a flashback, maybe an epiphany that things can be like that again. It isn't too late.

I could go on about how it makes me feel and the meanings, comparisons and metaphors it brings to mind.

Posts Quantity
squid wrote:Both Corsair(+Magic Window) and From One Source All Things Depend are perfect endings to the album I think, but in completely different ways. They did an amazing job making 2 10/10 closers. Corsair is just devastating. The perfect nihilistic ending. The epitome of nothingness. The ordeal (preceding tracks in Geogaddi) is over, you got through it! And the result is... nothing. Desolation. There is no hope, no consolation, no light at the end of the tunnel. There is no meaning to what you went through and no future left for you.

Just such a perfect, amazing, gut wrenching, devastating ending.

On the other hand... Out of those feelings, and the minutes of silence you're given in Magic Window to contemplate that devastation... Out of nowhere comes From One Source All Things Depend and it turns out there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There is hope and meaning.

I totally agree that both endings to the album are fantastic. I view them as "alternate endings" to an intense story or a movie, or an immersive choice-based video game where you have a "good ending" and a "bad ending."

Although, in Geogaddi's case it can viewed that we have a "good ending" where Heaven exists and the listener makes it there (From One Source), a "bad ending" where the listener ends up in hell (Corsair), and a "neutral" ending where there is just nothingness (Magic Window). After reading some of the discussion above, I can't help but think of the silent Magic Window as the very plausible theory that there is simply nothing after death -- Dark, empty silence. If the brothers are indeed atheists/rationalists, it would make sense that they think Magic Window/nothingness is the "true ending."

When it comes to From One Source, my impression is that the brothers sampled children speaking about god because in a way we are ALL children when we speculate on the topic of life after death, because nobody knows the absolute truth of what happens after we die. Although, based on their 2013 interview, the brothers probably think that belief in the afterlife is just a "magic window" or a way for us to trick ourselves into feeling comforted. "It's in human nature to pursue spiritual or fantastic things, for whatever reason, that's why we like art and escapism, isn't it? Humans like to feel there's a purpose, even if there isn't one!"

Happy Cycler
Kids are filed with love and a profound sense of optimism in general when compared to adults extending to every subject. A track by a band in which at least one member, probably the one who most wanted these samples, with a sense of an absent childhood growing up probably relates to both the positive and negative to the ending.

We spawn our kin into a society filled with deception though I myself remember a time, without any difference than father Christmas, I had a belief I thought was enough.

The bittersweet melodic accompaniment does remind me of a time I felt, "oh, so this is how it turns", the angst in myself wants to see the mockery formerly mentioned, though some years ago I came to the conclusion that it is not a mockery or a charade of children demonstrating a faith the authors (quite possibly entangled though not part dogma) identify with as a smiling rainbow of "isn't this a cute happy ending?" to one without.

Children may be fed lies by authority. Church or otherwise. Though these children are happy. Geogaddi, as I see it, is the second half of growing up to see life as it is. We feel sorry for deceit, though happy that the children then there are. An innocence that might end up fucking with their lives? I don't believe that's how the brothers painted this melancholy.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Return to Boards of Canada