Favorite to Least Favorite BoC releases?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
I'm not sure if there's a current topic for this, my apologies if there is, I'm still kind of new here haha.

How would you rate the 4 full-legnth Boards of Canada albums, from favorite to least favorite?

Geogaddi is my favorite, with MHTRTC being a close second, Tomorrow's Harvest being a third (this might be an unpopular, opinion... not sure XD) and Campfire Headphase being my least favorite. It still has good tunes though, just not as much as the other releases imo. :P
That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(
Rateyourmusic account: https://rateyourmusic.com/~PrezSquid
WATMM account: https://forum.watmm.com/profile/23101-p ... squidward/

Dayvan Cowboy
Man... tough one. Which one I choose to listen to at a given time depends a lot on my mood or activity.

Overall though, I'd say Geogaddi, Tomorrow's Harvest, MHTRTC, Campfire Headphase. They're all so close, but Geogaddi edges out the others by a hair. It's my all-time favorite album and up there with my favorite works of art in any medium.

Happy Cycler
Yeah, this varies with mood but, currently, MHTRTC, Geogaddi, TH, TCH.

Dayvan Cowboy
Twoism EP, Campfire Headphase, Geogaddi and Tomorrow's harvest are on par, IABPOTC EP, MHTRTC, Trans Canada Highway EP, Hi Scores EP

*ducks and prepares for fierce criticism*

Sherbet Head
Campfire, Music, Harvest, and Geogaddi. Campfire hits me right in the childhood in ways the other albums do not. Also, I skip more songs on Geogaddi than any other album. I don't hate it, but relative to the other albums, I like it the least. Don't come at me, bro. I don't even care.

Dayvan Cowboy
zeoevil wrote: Campfire hits me right in the childhood in ways the other albums do not.

This. Campfire is a perfect embodiment of nostalgia. Its scary to think that it got quite a bit of criticism amongst fans when it was released, but it was the first real indicator that boc weren't some kind of alternative techno band to people who really liked MHTRTC I suppose. I think before that point, a lot of people were still expecting heavy almost hip-hop-esque beats from them and when an album centered around acoustic guitars and soft nostalgia emerged, it became clear that the genre-box a lot of people had made for them wasn't what boc are about.

Friendly Stranger
^For sure.

Hard to think in terms of favorites with BoC but if I had to chose one... The Campfire Headphase.

I’ve cried listening to this music because it’s just so moving, and it always stands on its own in the moment. It’s so grounded and spacious. There’s that psychedlic cowboy, rusty pick-up, two lane highway imagery in there too that they’ve mentioned. The music creates a sanctuary for the listener and I don’t listen to it often because I never want to take it for granted.

In awe that they made it after the previous two.. and then there’s Macquarie Ridge

Eagle Minded
Albums
1. Geogaddi
2. Tomorrow's Harvest
3. MHTRTC
4. Campfire Headphase

EPs
1. IABPOITC
2. Hi Scores
3. Trans Canada Highway
4. Twoism

Comps
1. Old Tunes Vol 1
2. Old Tunes Vol 2
3. R35TT

Disclaimer: I love all of the above releases, please don't sacrifice me to our Hexagon Sun overlords.

Dayvan Cowboy
zeoevil wrote:Campfire, Music, Harvest, and Geogaddi. Campfire hits me right in the childhood in ways the other albums do not. Also, I skip more songs on Geogaddi than any other album. I don't hate it, but relative to the other albums, I like it the least. Don't come at me, bro. I don't even care.

I'm comin' at you! Here it comes! You ready for this?!

...That's a perfectly reasonable opinion; while it is not my opinion, I respect it and your right to have it. Good day.

Friendly Stranger
It's hard to say, really. Like others have said, it really all depends on my mood.

Lately I've been listening to The Campfire Headphase lately, because it's spring in the US, and the weather lately suits it. It's a shame that TCH gets a lot of criticism, but it's a very well produced and composed album. Coming from a guy who is more attuned to Alternative Rock and more acoustic genres, TCH is a soft spot for me. And I think dustbowl makes a good point about TCH.

1. The Campfire Headphase
2. MHTRTC
3. Geogaddi
4. Tomorrow's Harvest

EP's
1. Hi Scores
2. IABPOITC
3. Twoism
4. Trans Canada Highway

Lists make these albums seem like they differ by a large factor, but all of these albums are so on-level with each other.

Telepath
1. mhtrtc
2. geogaddi
3. the campfire headphase
4. tomorrows harvest

I see a correlation here.

Sherbet Head
1 - Geogaddi
2 - MHTRTC
3 - TCH
4 - TH

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:I see a correlation here.

Could it be that the people who like Campfire Headphase the most tend to like Tomorrow's Harvest the least, and vice-versa?

Dayvan Cowboy
1. MHTRTC
2. Tomorrow's Harvest
3. Geogaddi
4. The Campfire Headphase

1. Twoism
2. Hi Scores
2. IABPOITC
3. TCH

Eagle Minded
All of them are my favorite releases 8)

Posts Quantity
I might as well rate EPs and Comps too. :P

EPs:
1. Twoism
2. IABPOITC
3. Hi Scores
4. Trans Canada Highway

Comps:
1. Old Tunes vol 2
2. Random 35 Tracks
3. A Few Old Tunes

And don't get me wrong, I still like Campfire Headphase, probably a 6.5 or 7, I guess the other albums imo have more trackx I love.
That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(
Rateyourmusic account: https://rateyourmusic.com/~PrezSquid
WATMM account: https://forum.watmm.com/profile/23101-p ... squidward/

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:
I see a correlation here.

That's fair enough, you are clearly a fan of their earlier releases. You shouldn't be pessimistic about the next release, though. You never know.

Sherbet Head
I listen to TCH most often, TH then geogaddi, MHRTC is my least listened to LP, it doesn't have the overall flow/concept of the other 3, IMO. geogaddi is my fave for sure but something about TCH is perfect for warmer months..

New Seed
I think I might have an unpopular opinion, but here's my favorite to least favorite.

Albums:
1. BOC Maxima
2. MHTRTC
3. Campfire Headphase
4. Geogaddi
5. Tommorow's Harvest

EPs:
1. Twoism (not sure if that counts)
2. IABPOITC
3. Peel Session
4. Trans Canada Highway
5. Hi Scores

Comps:
1. A Few Old Tunes
2. R35TT
3. Old Tunes Vol. 2

I'm not gonna even lie, they're still good albums and EPs. The only bad album (in my opinion) is Tommorow's Harvest. It doesn't have the flow of a regular BOC album, and it just doesn't feel right to me.

Boqurant
Albums
1. MHTRTC
2. Tomorrow's Harvest
3. Campfire Headphase
4. Geogaddi

EPs
1. Twoism
2. IABPOITC
3. Hi Scores
4. Trans Canada Highway

Comps