BoC and dreams

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Well, I ran a search and I couldn't find a thread like this, so I decided to make one.

Have you ever been listening to BoC, fell asleep and had an influence on your dreams from the music?

I had one today. I was listening to Geogaddi and just sort of daydreaming on my bed. Eventually I got kind of tired and fell asleep around Opening the Mouth (such a chilled out, hypnotizing track). In my dream I was in a forest of some sort and encountered a couple of those guys on the cover of the album. It was pretty interesting.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Sherbet Head
I remember someone (I think Polar Sky) saying that listening to a playlist consisting of only ABBC forwards and backwards can make for some fucked dreams.

Happy Cycler
Julian Candy wrote:I remember someone (I think Polar Sky) saying that listening to a playlist consisting of only ABBC forwards and backwards can make for some fucked dreams.

I bet. That track's nothing but mood whiplash.

Although the beginning is very calming.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Nova Scotia Robot
Julian Candy wrote:I remember someone (I think Polar Sky) saying that listening to a playlist consisting of only ABBC forwards and backwards can make for some fucked dreams.

That was me. And yes, my dreams were utterly crazy. Try it.

Telepath
747Music wrote:

Mighty interesting. I just might try this, when I sleep alone.

I have had many boc dreams, I even met them in a dream once (they where not happy I found their house). I've also spoken to Clark, as a critic. They are all very very very normal people.

Sherbet Head
747Music wrote:

I knew it was one of you guys. :)

Sherbet Head
Location: The Soviet Russia, where is vodka, bears and very cold winters
I was fallen asleep while listening the whole BoC discography but havn't seen any dreams.
The such thing happend only after Autechre's discog. I was walking along the beach and side boats were floating along too with me which was kinda strange )

But some of BoC dreams were while i was just sleeping without any music - there were 3 dreams.
1st where i was in my institute and my mobile phone were rang with skimming stones ringtone )
2nd was a scene with stitched boc logo curtains, which i tried to reach.
3rd was the most weird - there was a place in a store were was presented limited mount of Trans Canada Highway tape copies. I've got mine but then there was a crossfire by a men in black suits - a lot of screaming and dead people around while i ran with this tape to nowhere along the streets :)

There were also dreams featuring other's artists music but that was a way different stories )

Eagle Minded
I go to sleep to Wildlife Analysis and i always dream of looking at a TV with lions on it in a pitch black room. The TV has static and i slowly fall asleep in my dream.
INCEPTION
Toss the sun down the backwards spiral

New Seed
I used to always listen to music as I fell asleep. I always wake up about half an hour or so after falling asleep because of the music, regardless of what it is.

But when I could do it soundly, I would always put on Campfire or Music Has The Rights. I remember one time I tried listening to Geogaddi but I have always had a problem with weird sleep paralysis, which wouldn't go well with Geogaddi, so I decided not to.

Geogaddi would create some weird dreams, for sure. [/b]

Eagle Minded
Listening to Oscar See Through Red Eye just before I went to sleep one night, it was evidently still going around in my head and played as the track to a literally puzzling dream the like of which I have not had before or since...

I usually dream of places I know or something roughly familiar, but this was a far off ruin somewhere... Neither a bad nor a good dream but somewhere in between. Some aspects could be said to have been quite BOC-esque, indeed, there were shapes and tessellating pieces in shades of blue. But that was a small aspect... I think I was building something from ancient structures that all connected together, and something that connected with itself and went round in a cycle. I don't know why.

At the time - and it was months ago - I wrote stuff down the next day while I could still clearly remember details and considered posting it after briefly mentioning it here in a similar topic. But no-one seemed to be interested then - so after that moment passed, I thought 'sod it, no point' and deleted the notes. The recollection has faded by now.

Eagle Minded

I must try this... :shock:
You're knocking on the door I closed today

Eagle Minded
Just had a dream last night that I was listening to Geogaddi, but it went straight from Ready Lets Go to Dawn Chorus, and I realized I had it set on shuffle and I get super pissed off, because I've actually been abstaining from listening to Geogaddi 5 months or more, and wanted to hear it in the proper order.

I think that, while Geogaddi has the greatest number of my favorite individual tracks, it's also the album to which hearing the album in track order is the greatest enhancement.
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Posts Quantity
Can't say I've had any BoC related dreams to speak of, unfortunately. Relevant to this thread though, I remember hearing that Gyroscope was based on a beat which one of the brothers heard in some kind of lucid dream or nightmare which they woke up from and tried to recreate as accurately as possible, and I can definitely see that it has that atmosphere.

I remember a member here saying they had a similar sort of very eerie experience where they had a terrifying dream involving inverted pyramids (in the sky?) in which they heard a high-pitched piercing sound identical to one featured in a song by Plaid or Autechre but I can't remember which one. But it was real interesting, I like reading about the dark and sometimes paranormal nature that dreams can have, it's not something I really experience myself.

Boqurant
I had a dream last night (not while listening to BoC) where I was sent to North Korea as a slave worker for transporting stuff across the area on foot, but at the time I had nothing to do besides wait until I was chosen to do work. But out of no where Kim Jong Un had came by our camp to pick up some stuff, but while he was leaving he had left a box labeled "CATALOG" on a table near me, I opened it and found all of BoC's old material and was astonished, but I knew if I kept it then I would be killed, I kept it either way. The next morning I kept it under my bed and had planned an escape route so I could leave. I got the box and jumped over the fence (for some reason the outside of the camp at the time looked exactly like my front yard) and ran away as far as I could until the security grabbed my arms and took me back inside the camp to see the brothers (Marcus and Michael) tell me that I could keep everything as long as I didn't leak it online..It was a weird dream, I woke up rubbing my head in confusion.

Eagle Minded
anecdote wrote:I had a dream last night (not while listening to BoC) where I was sent to North Korea as a slave worker for transporting stuff across the area on foot, but at the time I had nothing to do besides wait until I was chosen to do work. But out of no where Kim Jong Un had came by our camp to pick up some stuff, but while he was leaving he had left a box labeled "CATALOG" on a table near me, I opened it and found all of BoC's old material and was astonished, but I knew if I kept it then I would be killed, I kept it either way. The next morning I kept it under my bed and had planned an escape route so I could leave. I got the box and jumped over the fence (for some reason the outside of the camp at the time looked exactly like my front yard) and ran away as far as I could until the security grabbed my arms and took me back inside the camp to see the brothers (Marcus and Michael) tell me that I could keep everything as long as I didn't leak it online..It was a weird dream, I woke up rubbing my head in confusion.

Boards?
In North Korea?
What the fuck???

Boqurant
circleofthesun wrote:Boards?
In North Korea?
What the fuck???

I have no clue...I remember some part of the dream was that their secret studio was located there

Eagle Minded
anecdote wrote:
circleofthesun wrote:Boards?
In North Korea?
What the fuck???

I have no clue...I remember some part of the dream was that their secret studio was located there

It's just that politically I see them to be the kind of people to want to destroy it from the inside? Maybe that's what they were trying to do hence their leniency with you about keeping their tapes?
Also: juche.bandcamp.com

Eagle Minded
Has anecdote glanced at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWvvvBWAq_Y which appears to have been online for a few years?

Friendly Stranger
I just had a dream that me and a friend were invited to a party with BoC to watch some sports game, and that when we got there, Marcus came up to the front and said angrily, "We're not here to do autographs. Shut up and enjoy the game." And so, neither me or my friend got any autographs...

Also, right before we left for the party, there was an ad on tv with Michael and Marcus promoting acid and steroids....

So yea. There's my dream.

Telepath
--- WARNING: STUPID CREEPY FANBOY STUFF - DON'T HATE ME ---

Since my last BoC dreams turned out to be prophetic (trans canada highway, specifically about the invocation video and tomorrows harvest), I'm going to share the one I had this morning, just so I can say I told you so when something hits the scene and I'll be proper freaked.

Note: I don't dream like this often, about famous people/people I admire, they are usually about stranger things, at best only involving personal real-life friends.

First part was I was having tea with the brothers, I was physically near them. They where playing me tunes. I asked them which one was Micheal and which one was Marcus but they just sniffled and said it was a secret. Even made some walks through a large garden with them, two different walks with them separately. As they talked, I noticed the significant roles they played as an individual in the band because of the way they talked about music, where Mike was like Light and Marcus was Dark . They where very mysterious about song/band specifics, but very open about their interests. I didn't want to ask to much about Boards of Canada as I was afraid the music would stop, I'd just talk about movies and other music, and they responded very enlightening. Some of the most interesting and specific dream dialog I've ever experienced. The music sounded a bit like a combination of EYDIAB and Roygbiv, or the poppy seeds remix, but it was def. new stuff. Produced very well, almost clean sounding (in a BoC sense, as clean as skyliner) and very melodic. The strange/slightly erotic thing was they were very physical with me on the couch while we where talking, stroking and tickling me, but in secret. I didn't like it, slowly pushing their hands away but not to much as I was afraid the music would stop. I think that's just my wife-in-the-eyes-of-god Willie cuddling me in the physical realm though.

Then I wake up slightly because a window fell open and I shocked. I think this was a key moment , right at the end of the dream-cycle, and Willie woke up to so I could immediately tell, so it would be engraved in my mind. She just laughed in my face and said "you fanboy" then told me her dream and we fell asleep again right smack-dab at the start of the next dream-cycle, it was pretty perfect because I would have forgotten it otherwise. Then the next part came up. It started in deep-sleep abstract behavior, randomly colored landscapes and abstract shapes, very vivid as if it was REM-sleep, but intensely nostalgic. Its a miracle I still remember some of that. I lost track of it pretty soon before REM kicked in again and BoC was again the main subject. This time less personal and I don't remember as much. I was still chatting with them on the computer over something that looked like the twoism replex theme, and they where talking about making music for a cartoon. It was like a broken anime, very psychedelic and nostalgic and allot of vhs static. I surely remember something big was released...I forgot allot of important stuff in that part of the dream.

Well that's it. What do you guys make of this? :shock:

Next

Return to Boards of Canada