The 6-number sequence as it stands

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Ed209 wrote:I've learned that participating in the BOC message board community requires an ever so delicate balance of equal parts apathy, sarcasm, cosecha and yermo.

True.
all things shining

New Seed
hamhax wrote:
Waz wrote:This sort of thing goes on all the time, that's why there's a term for it: ARG.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19346_th ... games.html

I wouldn't say "all the time", and I'm talking about music artists. I'm aware that this kind of thing happens a lot with games and movies, but I've not seen many when it comes to a new album. But hey, that's just me.

Again, I'd say something like this doesn't happen a whole lot, because it just doesn't work for everything and takes a lot of time and effort.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

As a long time Boards of Canada fan, I couldn't help notice the similarity of some of these puzzles to a game called Sword and Sworcery. It included a numbers station ARG type sub-game, up to and including a vinyl called The Moon Grotto that included a puzzle almost identical to the Soundcloud "Sum" clue. I don't have the vinyl but apparently when you sum the left and right sides of the stereo audio into one, a secret message is revealed telling the listener how to find a secret song and other mysterious videos online. Eerily similar, but I suppose anything with numbers stations will tread the same territory.

Posts Quantity
threeism wrote:
hamhax wrote:
Waz wrote:This sort of thing goes on all the time, that's why there's a term for it: ARG.

I wouldn't say "all the time", and I'm talking about music artists. I'm aware that this kind of thing happens a lot with games and movies, but I've not seen many when it comes to a new album. But hey, that's just me.

Again, I'd say something like this doesn't happen a whole lot, because it just doesn't work for everything and takes a lot of time and effort.

As a long time Boards of Canada fan, I couldn't help notice the similarity of some of these puzzles to a game called Sword and Sworcery. It included a numbers station ARG type sub-game, up to and including a vinyl called The Moon Grotto that included a puzzle almost identical to the Soundcloud "Sum" clue. I don't have the vinyl but apparently when you sum the left and right sides of the stereo audio into one, a secret message is revealed telling the listener how to find a secret song and other mysterious videos online. Eerily similar, but I suppose anything with numbers stations will tread the same territory.

haha its like a message to us http://www.swordandsworcery.com/

Boqurant
threeism wrote:
hamhax wrote:

Or the NIN Year Zero ARG.
699742 628315 717228 936557 813386 519225

nevar forget

Posts Quantity
Mexicola wrote:You know something? I find the whole 'I want it NOW! I'm bored! They'd better release it yesterday or I'll stamp my feet and scream and scream and scream until I'm sick!!' thing to be very indicative of the modern mentality.

Frankly, it's pathetic and, to my mind at least, justifies entirely the 8 years of almost complete silence from them.

People really are very ugly sometimes.

Don't be hard to people.

Some are disappointed. During the first 6 days, 5 hints surfaced.
Then a hard break. Instead of the 6th clue, all of a sudden they start repeating some of the previous 5 clues. For days, on big stages.

Don't forget: we have no idea what comes when we have collected all 6 numbers.
If they think they'll have to decode them, it's normal that people are left unsatisfied right now. The decoding takes time and brings fun, so why this hard break?

On the other hand, if the 6th number will be the final solution, then you're right. No need to hurry. Let's keep enjoying the whole thing.
alone alive again

New Seed
Hello all *prepares to be laughed at*

Disclaimer: I'm not an advanced maths bod or cryptologist. The lack of massive discussion about cracking this (that I can find, hope someone can direct me if there is) makes me think there's some seriously clever people trying to go full hog in one go. I'm just looking for opinions on what I've found. Also, I've assumed the Reddit "discovery" is spot on (I know that's a big assumption but I'm just kicking ideas about).

The code is just broken up into sections too perfectly for cryptographic analysis so I tried shoehorning some letters to replace the numbers as a start.

Trying "COSECHA" and "HARVEST" gave nothing of note and neither did removing the HA at the beginning and end and repeating 1 through 9 using two 5 letter layers of COSEC (trig alert? anyone seen any triangle clues?) and RVEST.

What has been interesting is that 9 is the only number which repeats exactly 6 times.

It becomes more interesting when you type out:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A B C D E F G H I
J K L M N O P Q R
S T U V W X Y Z

So 1 is AJS, 5 is FOX and 8 HQZ etc....

The only blank value remaining is 9 which gives I R and no third value since there are no zero values in the code. That means that there are six totally blank values if you process the numbers in this manner, which is the same number as the individual strings in the code.

Obviously this could be a huge coincidence but this kind of thing is generally a massive clue which cryptographers like to put into more basic ciphertexts to make you go "Hmm, why is that?".

I'm going to try and play around with the numbers more and see if i can get a DDMMYY format numerical release but my gut is telling me that would be too simple.

My initial thinking is that there's something in the position of the blanks, maybe relating back to the audio snippets or the video as previous numbers have; the amount of blank static tells me they can be interlaced into something more meaningful (a la sigma + sigma). Maybe there's more clues where people have already looked.

The blanks appear in position 2,3,19,28,29,33 but obviously there could be more manipulation to be undertaken, I like what was said about Mod 5; there could be something in that but any more complicated and we're straying into Ring/Group territory which bloody terrifies me

In any case I'm totally hooked, well done boc...

Friendly Stranger
hey y'all

I'm the guy that found that record, just to let you all know I'm looking to sell it in case anyone is interested, tough times call for tough decisions it seems, (need $'s :( )

PM me, I can verify authenticity etc, let me know !

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:You know something? I find the whole 'I want it NOW! I'm bored! They'd better release it yesterday or I'll stamp my feet and scream and scream and scream until I'm sick!!' thing to be very indicative of the modern mentality.

Frankly, it's pathetic and, to my mind at least, justifies entirely the 8 years of almost complete silence from them.

People really are very ugly sometimes.

as always mexicola an excellent post, we are old school (though not tooo old lol, i must add) Its a modern day condition you describe, everything is available so fast, take for example the news channels etc, its broadcast straight into home the minute it happens, even if its in the back of beyond in the middle east, you'll get it on your screen within seconds. Somehow though I don't blame the kids its not their fault.

Sherbet Head
lilcakey wrote:hey y'all

I'm the guy that found that record, just to let you all know I'm looking to sell it in case anyone is interested, tough times call for tough decisions it seems, (need $'s :( )

I'd probably do the same lol, well done on the find, must of been an awesome feeling. Shame you have to sell it. I will be fascinated to see for how much it goes for.

Friendly Stranger
lilcakey wrote:hey y'all

We can send vinyl to warp, so they will be think about our mysterious puzzle for them.

But if serious, i would like to find some boc fans around you and to write "Thank you!", other good words on the cover, and send record to boc guys. It will be great.

New Seed
First time poster here, but going slightly mental now!! Been following this since start of last week and loving it

Has anybody been to boardsofcanada.com recently?
It now refers to http://cosecha-transmisiones.com/

So... close!!!!

Posts Quantity
J-Dane wrote:First time poster here, but going slightly mental now!! Been following this since start of last week and loving it

So... close!!!!

Looks the same as it always has done... on the homepage, news and discog pages.

Friendly Stranger
lawrenke wrote:Looks the same as it always has done... on the homepage, news and discog pages.

New Seed
lawrenke wrote:
J-Dane wrote:First time poster here, but going slightly mental now!! Been following this since start of last week and loving it

So... close!!!!

Looks the same as it always has done... on the homepage, news and discog pages.

Clear your cache, it's redirecting.

Ok I'm now trying variants around my theory. If it works I'll post results.

Boqurant
Oh my, it is redirecting! Obviously, this is new. I was even looking at boardsofcanada.com earlier today, must've done it in the last hour or so!!

New Seed
So you're saying i'm going crazy?
I'm seeing this telnet style prompt asking for a password.

Posts Quantity
J-Dane wrote:So you're saying i'm going crazy?
I'm seeing this telnet style prompt asking for a password.

I see it now! Cleared the cache and there we go. This is a development. This is exciting.

Dayvan Cowboy
I wonder if that last login date and time is of any significance?

Friendly Stranger
OMG look at the source code.

an ascii hexagon with this inside:

------ / ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------
Last edited by globochem on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts Quantity
The Other wrote:I wonder if that last login date and time is of any significance?

isnt august 22nd the date when the Hare virus first launched?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada