The 6-number sequence as it stands

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Douay-Rheims wrote:i've been plugging these codes into my Enigma machine all evening all all I get is "New Album in June"

:lol:
"Now son, don't worry, those were just lies Daddy told to get prescription drugs"

Dayvan Cowboy
Waz wrote:That seems like too much detail to me :-) And could they even be sure the codes were found in the order they wanted? Somebody might not have found that record until yesterday, for example.

I'm fairly certain those records were "found" on purpose. Still fun though!

Boqurant
wwbjd wrote:
Waz wrote:That seems like too much detail to me :-) And could they even be sure the codes were found in the order they wanted? Somebody might not have found that record until yesterday, for example.

I'm fairly certain those records were "found" on purpose. Still fun though!

same, everything else kicked off after the 1st record was discovered

Dayvan Cowboy
VERY well orchestrated....and extremely entertaining.

New Seed
This is more of an Easter egg hunt than a puzzle - one where we know we'll get all the eggs regardless.

I doubt the brothers are very much involved in this. I mean, these are the same guys who sped up a clip of a woman screaming to make the "s" sound of a word in a backwards subliminal message. A bit below their level no?

Friendly Stranger
Sicilian Night wrote:This is more of an Easter egg hunt than a puzzle - one where we know we'll get all the eggs regardless.

I doubt the brothers are very much involved in this. I mean, these are the same guys who sped up a clip of a woman screaming to make the "s" sound of a word in a backwards subliminal message. A bit below their level no?

Idunno, there was something of a puzzle element to the portion found on this website. They could've made the mystery more complicated and harder to crack, I'm sure, though I think the entire angle of this event was to alert the fans that something's going on in the studio, while simultaneously getting the interest of outsiders that aren't familiar with the BoC vibes and mythos.

Eagle Minded
Sicilian Night wrote:I doubt the brothers are very much involved in this. I mean, these are the same guys who sped up a clip of a woman screaming to make the "s" sound of a word in a backwards subliminal message. A bit below their level no?

I'd have to disagree a bit... I think they are totally down and had much to do with creating it. I feel like it totally goes along with they're style. No one else has done this before. And I don't think they had to do anything. I don't think they were bound by contract to put out a huge egg hunt/album after 8 years of nothing. I'm pretty sure this is their way of having fun with the mystique they've created, and knowing their fan base would throughly enjoy the ride. Like a thank to us for our support.
Last edited by Elexen on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
:INDIFFERENT SPACES:
all albums [IS1-IS13] available here:
http://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com

New Seed
Liquorice Facet wrote:
Sicilian Night wrote:This is more of an Easter egg hunt than a puzzle - one where we know we'll get all the eggs regardless.

Idunno, there was something of a puzzle element to the portion found on this website. They could've made the mystery more complicated and harder to crack, I'm sure, though I think the entire angle of this event was to alert the fans that something's going on in the studio, while simultaneously getting the interest of outsiders that aren't familiar with the BoC vibes and mythos.

Yeah I think the main issue here is that if they were to do something truly cryptic, well, there's no telling how long it would take for us to figure it out. Not the best way to release an album after a 7 year silence.

Friendly Stranger
Yeah, pretty sure this is an ad agency campaign... every detail about it is promotional, not an "artistic" idea of two guys in a studio. I've worked with companies who do this sort of thing, these kinds of campaigns. And Mike and Marcus certainly weren't negotiating spots with Adult Swim and the BBC and Rough Trade themselves!

Eagle Minded
Waz wrote:Yeah, pretty sure this is an ad agency campaign... every detail about it is promotional, not an "artistic" idea of two guys in a studio. I've worked with companies who do this sort of thing, these kinds of campaigns. And Mike and Marcus certainly weren't negotiating spots with Adult Swim and the BBC and Rough Trade themselves!

I managed the marketing department of a corporation some years back... And yes there are strategic moves and negotiations to be made.... But the artist is always in the brainstorming sessions and usually conducts the ideas in more independent companies like Warp. So I feel it was definitely a joint effort.

Friendly Stranger
My expectation is that they based this on the "sort of thing" that suits their style, probably consulting with M&M like you say... but then I bet it's pretty much handed over to "creatives".

But again, it's a bit of fun, which is more than you can say for most advertising. As long as the answer doesn't involve something as terminally boring as entering the numbers into a web page form... yuck. I think that was done when The Matrix came out.

Sherbet Head
did i read correctly online that another ad aired on television, same numbers, but possibly a longer video with more clues?

not trying to misinform anybody if i read something incorrectly, just wondering if it is true.

Eagle Minded
Waz wrote:My expectation is that they based this on the "sort of thing" that suits their style, probably consulting with M&M like you say... but then I bet it's pretty much handed over to "creatives".

But again, it's a bit of fun, which is more than you can say for most advertising. As long as the answer doesn't involve something as terminally boring as entering the numbers into a web page form... yuck. I think that was done when The Matrix came out.

I'll agree with some of that.... It's the most interesting album release I've seen and it's been fun for me and most of the fans I would think. I just think the natives are restless and can't wait for the goods. :D
Last edited by Elexen on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
I just disagree. It seems more far-fetched that the brothers wouldn't be directly involved in the promotion of their own music...

Not to mention the clues have been in response to specific things on twoism and youtube etc. and Warp wouldn't be the one following the fans in that regard. It would be the band- and one of the brothers plus mdg have a profile here and definitely keep an eye on whats going on. There is no doubt though, that Warp has helped. They're how the brothers got onto bbc and npr and all that hands down, but creatively the brothers must be behind it.

I honestly think the promotion has been done very well and was effective in getting attention... but I want to be left in the dark about it for only so long... but again patience is a virtue
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Eagle Minded
TaoTapeTao wrote:I just disagree. It seems more far-fetched that the brothers wouldn't be directly involved in the promotion of their own music...

Not to mention the clues have been in response to specific things on twoism and youtube etc. and Warp wouldn't be the one following the fans in that regard. It would be the band- and one of the brothers plus mdg have a profile here and definitely keep an eye on whats going on. There is no doubt though, that Warp has helped. They're how the brothers got onto bbc and npr and all that hands down, but creatively the brothers must be behind it.

I honestly think the promotion has been done very well and was effective in getting attention... but I want to be left in the dark about it for only so long... but again patience is a virtue

Word is bond. I'm with you.

New Seed
I'm patient as a mountain, just enjoying the scenery. Eager to see how this all going to play out though, I will admit that much.
I see you there, your long black hair, your eyes just stare, your mind is turning...

Eagle Minded
KidForToday wrote:I'm patient as a mountain, just enjoying the scenery. Eager to see how this all going to play out though, I will admit that much.
MUSIC 70 IN THE HOUSE

Eagle Minded
I decide not to check Twoism for a week and now I find all this Willy Wonka shit going down.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sicilian Night wrote:
Liquorice Facet wrote:

Yeah I think the main issue here is that if they were to do something truly cryptic, well, there's no telling how long it would take for us to figure it out. Not the best way to release an album after a 7 year silence.

what? why not? this is absolutely a blast.
quit being so impatient. savor this...cuz when its done its done.
and you all KNOW that some of you guys will be bitching about something once its out.
there are those WHINING to get it right away....that will put it on once...then be off scrambling to the next thing.
this is really fun...enjoy being part of the experience. not many albums are handled this way....if any.
you want mystery....but you want it served up instantly.
take it in. this could be the one and only time something like this happens.

thank computers/internet for robbing everyone of their attention spans.

Friendly Stranger
phaelam, what you said would make sense if the complaint was "this isn't happening quickly enough". But that isn't the complaint. Nobody said that, or gave any reason to come to that conclusion. The complaint is that it would be more fun if there was a puzzle to solve, instead of it being a gotta catch 'em all thing.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada