The 6-number sequence as it stands

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
I missed the NPR stuff last night lads, is this really legit?

I just find it strange they would do two in one day? Could the station possibly have played one of the fakes by mistake? I also read they did not even have any info on what slot the numbers were to fit in, which makes me doubt it further.

Magrathea wrote:Has anyone tried to analyze the NPR file to see if there was anything in the spectrum, a bit a la Aphex Twin on Windowlicker?

Reason I ask is that prior to the NPR transmission the background noise seems different than on all the other ones we have had so far, I tried a bit with Spectrogram but got nowhere fast except a group of lines before the actual music, but it never came out clear as a pack of six...

The slanted lines before are what I am referring to, whereas the "transmission tone" is made of the squigglies. Anyhow, time for bed, it's over to you Europe ;)

Yeah I was playing around with one of the clips - reversing, amplifier certain parts, running through the old spectrometer, but couldn't really find anything. There's definately alot of noises including voice (I think) in the background. Swear I can hear a childs voice in the middle of the number sequence, but I'm no audio engineer.

We've some talented sound engineers and producers on this site - which of you are going to be the first to discover something interesting hidden in amongst all this???? 8)

Slow down...

New Seed
Just had a look at The Conet Project on wikipedia, and the xxxxxx/------/ etc code appears in the main article - who put it there?

The IP that put that there also made a revision to the NPR page, which has now been taken down. The revision they made was to write the xxxxxx/------/ etc code in the "name" field of the sidebar of the NPR page.

Link to the all of that IPs revisions.
Link to the NPR revision.

Who did this? What does it mean?

It could be someone messing around, OR it could be a clue to show that the NPR code is intended for the first slot of the xxxxxx/------/ code. Then perhaps we could use information (track names, numbers, related material etc) from the Conet Project to get more information / the next code?

New Seed
I would be inclined to treat anything on Wikipedia as fishy at best. There's simply too much opportunity for someone to hoax information. While it's tempting to treat anything and everything as part of this - and I'm just as keen to uncover new information as anyone else, and speculating is fun - there's a certain legitimacy to something being broadcast on Radio 1 or a video coming from the Hell Interface profile.
"When the child of morning, rosy-fingered Dawn, appeared, I took the
three men on whose prowess of all kinds I could most rely, and went
along by the sea-side, praying heartily to heaven."

Book IV, The Odyssey

Dayvan Cowboy
I tend to discount Wikipedia as well. From the very start, this campaign has been conducted in a way that the legit pieces of info can't be faked or changed by anyone besides themselves or a major media outlet - pressed vinyl, links from a previously established to be legitimate Youtube video, broadcast on radio stations and archived on their official websites. I don't see them utilizing a medium that can be altered by the general public.

Telepath
747Music wrote:Could the numbers simply be "music70.com/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxxx" ?

ooooh!

Dayvan Cowboy
The first thing I did when they announced the first code was to put boardsofcanada.com/936557.

Didn't work though... :(

I just want to be one of the famous Twoism codebreakers and for there to be a statue of me on the homepage.

Dayvan Cowboy
Treefingers wrote:The first thing I did when they announced the first code was to put boardsofcanada.com/936557.

Didn't work though... :(

I just want to be one of the famous Twoism codebreakers and for there to be a statue of me on the homepage.

that's actually a good theory - the thing is, if it really is music70.com/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX, nothing we enter will work until all of the codes are unveiled - especially without having the first set handy, everything that comes after will definitely be seen as a bad URL

Posts Quantity
You can block public access to all but one very specific subfolder I believe, so even if the first sequence was "123456", a website search won't yield any results until we have the whole thing.

Of course, if I were the band, I'd be concerned with eager fans overloading the server with "*rest of url*/111111* *rest*/111112* *rest*/111113*", etc. :)
A writer and musician with too much free time on her hands.

My Last.FM profile
Analogue and Digital: A (now-retired) webcomic about electronic music

Dayvan Cowboy
Quillian wrote:You can block public access to all but one very specific subfolder I believe, so even if the first sequence was "123456", a website search won't yield any results until we have the whole thing.

Of course, if I were the band, I'd be concerned with eager fans overloading the server with "*rest of url*/111111* *rest*/111112* *rest*/111113*", etc. :)

Right now, any iteration of anything besides the vanilla boardsofcanada.com / music70.com URLs leads to a generic "your domain has just been registered" page.

I am a big fan of this theory because while its a fun chase, Joe Public will be able to solve it once all the clues are out there without having to be a mathematician.

It's kind of the opposite of the Red Moon event because in that case, I suppose they wouldn't mind someone attending that intimate event if you were smart enough to crack the code, whereas this is an album release, and I'm sure they don't want to make it excessively difficult to get peoples' eyeballs in front of it.

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:
It's kind of the opposite of the Red Moon event because in that case, I suppose they wouldn't mind someone attending that intimate event if you were smart enough to crack the code, whereas this is an album release, and I'm sure they don't want to make it excessively difficult to get peoples' eyeballs in front of it.

I'm not so sure about that. The album will come out whatever happens and there'll probably be the usual hoopla. This strikes me as a kind of overture type throat clearing exercise that may or may not get solved before the album is announced proper.

Maybe no-one will get it till after the album is announced as we need more hints.

Dayvan Cowboy
BunnyRabbit wrote:
Opothecary wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. The album will come out whatever happens and there'll probably be the usual hoopla. This strikes me as a kind of overture type throat clearing exercise that may or may not get solved before the album is announced proper.

Maybe no-one will get it till after the album is announced as we need more hints.

Maybe so, maybe not - the fan in me wants to say that they DO want their best and brightest fans to expend some real effort to crack this, but the reality is that Warp has some skin in the game too (pressing vinyl at a loss, radio and (presumably) paid TV time) so they don't want a completely incomprehensible viral marketing campaign.

I think the beauty of it is that it will probably be a somewhat simple solution, but the puzzle people will still have had fun overthinking it. They might get upset that they expended so much effort, but new material will make a nice consolation prize.

In any case, if this thing gets cracked open, I think we'll have some real answers within 24-36 hours.

Dayvan Cowboy
Prediction: After all 6 of the number codes are revealed, the One Time Pad decoder will show up in the black box on the website, finally putting that void to good use.

Eagle Minded
So has NPR not verified where they got the track from?

Posts Quantity
Helios wrote:So has NPR not verified where they got the track from?

It doesn't seem so.

Dayvan Cowboy
As it's been pointed elsewhere, pretty damn hard to fake, the sound, the voice enumerating the number is the same and it is the only code that has number 4 in it, and that number when enumerated is perfectly in tone and time with the rest of the sequence, so it's not a splicing/copy/paste job. By all the audio quality of it it sounds legit.

Possibly NPR didn't have a clue about the XXXXXX placement OR it is hidden someplace else, OR we will have the details for the other series of number and by default the NPR one will pick the last available spot. There's redundancy in all this for resolution.

You can have a listen: http://www.tunescoop.com/play/313832303139/936557-mp3

Dayvan Cowboy
some feel this is a multi media hunt.
net, radio, physical...thinking tv could be part of it.

how about the old NFB?
they are super open at those offices. wonder if something will pop up in a National Film Board of Canada bit.

Eagle Minded
re-phaelam-ed wrote:some feel this is a multi media hunt.
net, radio, physical...thinking tv could be part of it.

how about the old NFB?
they are super open at those offices. wonder if something will pop up in a National Film Board of Canada bit.

Ill be on the look out in the app.
NFB rules
Toss the sun down the backwards spiral

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:Somebody posted this on bocpages post:
sorry phone died. just based on the idea that the sum of all six numbers in each slot equals one less than the sum of the preceding slot of six numbers. so far we have --/---/717228/936557/--/519225 so if you add the numbers of each slot you get --/--/9/8/--/6. this new set of numbers equals ten therefore it belongs in the second slot, assuming if this true.
can anybody see how the fuck he reached that conclusion? :P do i have some different idea of waht the word sum means?

I came on here to post just this, but realized someone did a few pages back. Anyway, this is my understanding:

Code: Select all
- - - - - -             11?
6+9+9+7+4+2 = 37; 3+7 = 10
7+1+7+2+2+8 = 27; 2+7 = 9
9+3+6+5+5+7 = 35; 3+5 = 8
- - - - - -             7?
5+1+9+2+2+5 = 24; 2+4 = 6

Appears like a countdown maybe? But that's performing the same exact operations, if you want to argue that the second set could go farther and go 10 = 1+0 = 1 that would eliminate that I guess.

Friendly Stranger
Magrathea wrote:Possibly NPR didn't have a clue about the XXXXXX placement OR it is hidden someplace else, OR we will have the details for the other series of number and by default the NPR one will pick the last available spot. There's redundancy in all this for resolution.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NPR host talk about snow quite a lot (like Zane kept saying "trail")?
Wouldn't that effectively put the position as 2nd according to AtalantaFugiens?
1977 / snow / computing / amateur footage / beards / synthesizer
------ / 699742 / 717228 / 936557 / ------ / 519225

edit: oh, the song/artist before the BoC snippet is called Snowdune or something. Never mind then :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada