The 6-number sequence as it stands

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
MrMessiah wrote:
BunnyRabbit wrote: they would either be a bit peeved or downright annoyed that this would get associated with what they, the scottish Orbital, had planned.

Haha, I think they'd be more annoyed at being called "the scottish Orbital", given that's one of the reasons they hid they were brothers at the start, to avoid that association :)

:wink: :roll:

Friendly Stranger
ilzmastr wrote:After sufficient testing, my results indicate that it is highly unlikely that BoC are reusing a 3 member OTP on the 36 digit code (unlikely and not impossible, since the 36 digit code is not completely known yet). the most legible results of my brute force crack are here:
http://pastebin.com/PpFCN6tP

What I did:
Basically I assumed that every 2 digits of the 36 digit code constituted 1 member of the final message (to represent every letter of the alphabet with a number in you have to use at least 2 digits), and I tried all combinations of 3 member pads (00,00,00 to 26,26,26 [no more is needed, bunch of redundancy if you do until 99,99,99]) repeating throughout the BoC code, and then searched the fragments of each of those outputs against the Oxford dictionary and a little BoC list.
(for the unknown 5th BoC code portion i just assumed 01,01,01 - so I tested: [69,97,42,62,83,15,71,72,28,93,65,57,01,01,01,51,92,25])

cool shit! (if somewhat inconclusive...) how long did this take to compute?

"foxyawhpjdimpwinjg" looks like something my sister and I used to type into the text-to-speech program on our first computer (ca. 1992) in one of our many attempts to break it...
Last edited by duk_koo_kim on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defend your constitutionally protected rights. No-one else will do it for you. Thank you.

Friendly Stranger
New code found on a pub jukebox in Southern England, embedded within another song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAGWMRjuEtU

:wink:

Posts Quantity
Ken Cosgrove wrote:New code found on a pub jukebox in Southern England, embedded within another song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAGWMRjuEtU

:wink:

haha this is awesome

Happy Cycler

Sherbet Head
All these clues are making me anxious! C'MON BOC!!

Friendly Stranger
Hey guys!
First time posting right here, please don't hate the n00b I'm going to introduce myself properly on a dedicated topic.
So, a wild theory:

A Wow! signal was detected in 1977. It's alphanumerical whatever code is 6EQUJ5. E is fifth letter in english alphabet, Q is 17th, U 21st and J is 10th. Maybe there is some connection with the first digit in Q,U and J. I don't know, just thought it might be worth a shot. At least I popped my Twoism cherry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

Also I appologise so much if this has been mentioned before, although I've been reading last few days' posts and did not see anything similar.

Sherbet Head
Parupanei wrote:Hey guys!
First time posting right here, please don't hate the n00b I'm going to introduce myself properly on a dedicated topic.
So, a wild theory:

A Wow! signal was detected in 1977. It's alphanumerical whatever code is 6EQUJ5. E is fifth letter in english alphabet, Q is 17th, U 21st and J is 10th. Maybe there is some connection with the first digit in Q,U and J. I don't know, just thought it might be worth a shot. At least I popped my Twoism cherry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

Also I appologise so much if this has been mentioned before, although I've been reading last few days' posts and did not see anything similar.

Welcome.

If anything I would say BOC are not that interested in the extra terrestrial. Maybe spy satellites but not much farther out than the (red) moon.

New Seed
ilzmastr wrote:After sufficient testing, my results indicate that it is highly unlikely that BoC are reusing a 3 member OTP on the 36 digit code (unlikely and not impossible, since the 36 digit code is not completely known yet). the most legible results of my brute force crack are here:
http://pastebin.com/PpFCN6tP

I don't think you can assume that the same pad is reused for the 6 numbers.

Friendly Stranger
And these balls are making me testy!

Julian Candy wrote:All these clues are making me anxious! C'MON BOC!!

Sherbet Head
Julian Candy wrote:All these clues are making me anxious! C'MON BOC!!

Maybe this is part of the point. In fact, with BOC, it definitely is.

Eagle Minded
http://imgur.com/RSmTgKe

getting a bit obsessed with these numbers now. wish they would just release the last one.

Friendly Stranger
Ken Cosgrove wrote:New code found on a pub jukebox in Southern England, embedded within another song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAGWMRjuEtU
I bamlem jack bauer.

Not sure if I've missed something about what you're trying to rule out ilzmastr, but the point of a (properly-done) message encrypted with a one-time-pad is that you couldn't rule out the decryption keys, because the pad/key will be long enough that your guesses would produce EVERY possible message. You could run through every possible decryption, and you'd find the messages "MILEY C", "BIEBER", "COFFEE" and "DEMONS" in your output. The point is that without the correct pad, you wouldn't know which one is the message you're after.

Dayvan Cowboy
/ = divided by.
could that be used some way?
in what order did the nums get revealed again?
1] vinyl
2] bbc
3] npr
4] youtube
5] banner
6]...

is that the order of appearance?

Posts Quantity
re-phaelam-ed wrote:in what order did the nums get revealed again?
1] vinyl
2] bbc
3] npr
4] youtube
5] banner
6]...

The order of appearance is vinyl => Youtube => BBC => NPR => banner ;)

Eagle Minded
re-phaelam-ed wrote:/ = divided by.
could that be used some way?

could be. similar thing i thought of was if the numbers are arranged vertically like this,

6 9 9 7 4 2
6 2 8 3 1 5
7 1 7 2 2 8
9 3 6 5 5 7
x x x x x x
5 1 9 2 2 5

and you take columnns one after another, which gives 6679x5/9213x1/9876x9/7325x2/4125x2/2587x5
i was thinking this because 'x' is also used as a multiply sign, but if you perform that operation you just get another set of 6 numbers which takes you back to where you were :?

Sherbet Head
Waz wrote:
I bamlem jack bauer.

Not sure if I've missed something about what you're trying to rule out ilzmastr, but the point of a (properly-done) message encrypted with a one-time-pad is that you couldn't rule out the decryption keys, because the pad/key will be long enough that your guesses would produce EVERY possible message. You could run through every possible decryption, and you'd find the messages "MILEY C", "BIEBER", "COFFEE" and "DEMONS" in your output. The point is that without the correct pad, you wouldn't know which one is the message you're after.

You can brute force a crib to unlock the whole thing if you can guess one thing that is in the plain text and have an idea that the technique used isn't based on a random pad.

Dayvan Cowboy
Ottomatik wrote:
re-phaelam-ed wrote:in what order did the nums get revealed again?
1] vinyl
2] bbc
3] npr
4] youtube
5] banner
6]...

The order of appearance is vinyl => Youtube => BBC => NPR => banner ;)

thanks

Friendly Stranger
BunnyRabbit wrote:
Waz wrote:
I bamlem jack bauer.

You can brute force a crib to unlock the whole thing if you can guess one thing that is in the plain text and have an idea that the technique used isn't based on a random pad.
You're talking about something different (attacks on large datasets encrypted with smaller keys). We're talking about one-time pads here, which done correctly mean that you can't reduce your guesses. Try every possible combination and all you'll get is every possible six-letter string.

Dayvan Cowboy
Waz wrote:
BunnyRabbit wrote:
Waz wrote:
I bamlem jack bauer.

You're talking about something different (attacks on large datasets encrypted with smaller keys). We're talking about one-time pads here, which done correctly mean that you can't reduce your guesses. Try every possible combination and all you'll get is every possible six-letter string.

was just thinking...lets say someone guesses the 6th num. it probably wont do anything till they enable whatever it is supposed to reveal. everything is probably timed. the release date is set. that wont change. it will either be the release date...or we'll be sitting with 6 nums till they let us know what its for.

date: xx/xx/xx
i know its been said over and over.....

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada