mdg confirms(?) vinyl represses

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
noby wrote:It is a bit sad indeed when your property value goes down.

But the only value of music is monetary?

Sherbet Head
Hope mdg doesn't hate me for sharing his reply and causing a vinyl repress frenzy :lol:

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:sheesh, no wonder you're burying your head in the sand and are in denial about these reissues! As a fan especially, you should be loving these records, not speculating on them. Invest in actual property if you're worried about the profit involved with "property value"!

I knew this would come up eventually. Do I think they will be repressed? Most likely, and mdg seems to indicate it, but what he said is no confirmation. That's all I'm saying, just semantics. And I do love the records which is exactly I have very slight negative feelings about the repressings (and this is not something Boc specific). By "property value" I'm not talking just about monetary value, that's relatively small beans even for a poor student such as myself. I'm talking about the intrinsic, emotional and personal values those records have for me. I collect records, and those ones were I'd say are even the cornerstone of my collection. And this is not something I can rationalize, but I can't fake it away either. The repressings don't bring anything new to the table for me, yet they make something I already have slightly less "valuable". Of course I'm not moping around going "Oh no these records are now available for everyone I'm not special anymore!". It's just a viewpoint I wanted to bring to the table, and I think this post should be a closer on that since I don't think there's anything more I can say: great to see them reissued, but ever so slightly negative opinions from a completely personal viewpoint.

Note so self: make sure to express your view correctly from the beginning so you don't look like some sad bastard.

Of course not, I explain that in the block of text above. In fact I'd say it's merely secondary considering how much money I've used for it. Also the records are (to me at least) more than just music. If I cared just for the music I'd just buy digital.

Friendly Stranger
Had to sell all three LP's and the EP's that I owned for needed cash. I had no choice and hated every minute of it.

I will get them all back somehow. new would be best.

Posts Quantity
noby wrote:
Opothecary wrote:sheesh, no wonder you're burying your head in the sand and are in denial about these reissues! As a fan especially, you should be loving these records, not speculating on them. Invest in actual property if you're worried about the profit involved with "property value"!

I knew this would come up eventually. Do I think they will be repressed? Most likely, and mdg seems to indicate it, but what he said is no confirmation. That's all I'm saying, just semantics. And I do love the records which is exactly I have very slight negative feelings about the repressings (and this is not something Boc specific). By "property value" I'm not talking just about monetary value, that's relatively small beans even for a poor student such as myself. I'm talking about the intrinsic, emotional and personal values those records have for me. I collect records, and those ones were I'd say are even the cornerstone of my collection. And this is not something I can rationalize, but I can't fake it away either. The repressings don't bring anything new to the table for me, yet they make something I already have slightly less "valuable". Of course I'm not moping around going "Oh no these records are now available for everyone I'm not special anymore!". It's just a viewpoint I wanted to bring to the table, and I think this post should be a closer on that since I don't think there's anything more I can say: great to see them reissued, but ever so slightly negative opinions from a completely personal viewpoint.

Note so self: make sure to express your view correctly from the beginning so you don't look like some sad bastard.

Of course not, I explain that in the block of text above. In fact I'd say it's merely secondary considering how much money I've used for it. Also the records are (to me at least) more than just music. If I cared just for the music I'd just buy digital.

I am a poor student and the current price of BoC LPs is well beyond my budget. It's just a load of bollocks that something as basic as an Autechre LP should be for collectors, especially now that vinyl is kind of getting popular again. I actually think Warp should be on Beat Delete...

But then again I don't understand pricing trends. If you look well enough you can get out-of-print stuff by major names such as Eno, Durutti Column, etc. for the usual second hand price.

And don't get me started on the vintage craze - you're looking for a decent analog camera for, you know, work, but you have to pay triple and save up for months just because some Nathan Barley types want to post cross-processed "lomo" shit on tumblr for about three weeks before they get tired of it. The worst part is when even finding a flat is like this.

As for the emotional value of exclusivity, well, what are you gonna do? It's reasonable that something like that should disappear, and I'd say even desirable, not just when it comes to music, but I understand that not everyone is going to be pleased.

Sherbet Head
i don't get repressing Aphex Twin Windowlickers and Come To Daddys last year, theres feckn tonnes of them already! I don't understand why theres been a shortage of BOC vinyls, are the band themselves controlling this? just doesnt make sense for Warp not to meet the huge demand, its just slow to happen which is why i thought the band were controlling it

Eagle Minded
Great news. This is practically a written contract of confirmation by mdg's standards of vagueness. Slightly relieved as I was actually considering shelling out ~£100 for geogaddi.

New Seed
any news on BoC cd represses? as in: they get repressed and sent out again by warp. local record store just opened up and has all new Warp releases. bummer if they don't repress the cd's tho.

Dayvan Cowboy
MindElevation wrote:ohmergherd imagine receiving the delivery of a pristine BoC vinyl discography. *drools*

now there is a delicious thought.

Mr A_NorthernSoul just posted this interesting little interview with the guys at Avalanche Records. Note - they were talking to WARP about a vinyl reissue before the new album promo started... :D

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Interesting! 8)
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
noby wrote:I do love the records which is exactly I have very slight negative feelings about the repressings (and this is not something Boc specific). By "property value" I'm not talking just about monetary value, that's relatively small beans even for a poor student such as myself. I'm talking about the intrinsic, emotional and personal values those records have for me. I collect records, and those ones were I'd say are even the cornerstone of my collection. And this is not something I can rationalize, but I can't fake it away either. The repressings don't bring anything new to the table for me, yet they make something I already have slightly less "valuable". Of course I'm not moping around going "Oh no these records are now available for everyone I'm not special anymore!". It's just a viewpoint I wanted to bring to the table, and I think this post should be a closer on that since I don't think there's anything more I can say: great to see them reissued, but ever so slightly negative opinions from a completely personal viewpoint.

I'd have to agree with you on that, well put.

If the Warp releases do get repressed though, I'd buy them all again and seal my originals in some kind of mighty BoC shrine in the attic. :D
There also might be a chance that represses will be better quality vinyl, 180g's maybe? That's a good thing.

Sherbet Head
So what if you don't feel special anymore? You guys still have the originals, we want the vinyls too, and we shouldn't have to pay some ridiculous price to buy from some guy who lives with his mom on another hemisphere of the world. Fuck.
ImageImage

Dayvan Cowboy
Yellow Records wrote:So what if you don't feel special anymore? You guys still have the originals, we want the vinyls too, and we shouldn't have to pay some ridiculous price to buy from some guy who lives with his mom on another hemisphere of the world. Fuck.

Whoa, I understand you're frustration man! I'm not saying they shouldn't be repressed, I sincerely hope they do. It'll make a lot of people including myself very fucking happy indeed.

I've payed some ridiculous prices for vinyl too over the years, some of the BoC ones included in that.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think the frustration people are expressing with the represses simply comes from the fact that they paid a lot of money for something they love. I would feel like a bit of a muppet if I had spent £500 or however much for my collection, then to realise that kind of money is no longer necessary.

It's not as if these guys are saying people shouldn't get BOC vinyl for cheap. Any sane fan would want his fellow fans to have access to his favorite material. It is just a bitter pill to swallow because you feel ripped off.

All that said, I am sure glad I never paid the ridiculous prices for any of this.

Sherbet Head
how about the repressed vinyls only be sold those who own the original.
that way the elitists get to remain elitist and resell their extra copy to reclaim what they spent
originally. theres no other argument for it

thepastinsidepressant wrote:how about the repressed vinyls only be sold those who own the original.
that way the elitists get to remain elitist and resell their extra copy to reclaim what they spent
This must be a joke, right? :) Represses are mainly for those who missed the original releases in the beginning or for those who just became a fan and would also like to have the back catalogue in their personal collection. And of course for regular prices.

Dayvan Cowboy
thepastinsidepressant wrote:how about the repressed vinyls only be sold those who own the original.

Whaaat?

Eagle Minded

Capitalism. It works, bitches.

Sherbet Head
Fredd-E wrote:This must be a joke, right? :)

but of course :lol: just a little jibe towards the elitists who dread re-issues

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada