mdg confirms(?) vinyl represses

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Fredd-E wrote:
thepastinsidepressant wrote:how about the repressed vinyls only be sold those who own the original.
that way the elitists get to remain elitist and resell their extra copy to reclaim what they spent
originally. theres no other argument for it
This must be a joke, right? :) Represses are mainly for those who missed the original releases in the beginning or for those who just became a fan and would also like to have the back catalogue in their personal collection. And of course for regular prices.

A lot of the people who bought their BoC records in the past few years have payed a nice chunk for their collection. Those of us who bought their releases as they were released or found them used on the cheap for $10-$20 per LP back in the early to mid 00's, couldn't care less about a repress threatening the value of our originals IMO. The days of finding BoC records at your local record store for $5-$15 are over and have been over for sometime now. Those who shelled out over $50-$200 per LP are most likely not hip on represses. I won't ever sell my collection, even with their current record high resell value. Call me a fanboy or being overly obsessed, but I have way too much invested in these records emotionally rather than financially. Maybe that's the opposite for some of you newer fans who have been dropping a lot of cash on em.

Sherbet Head
exactly, those moaning are those who missed the boat and became fan boys later on forking out tonnes for the vinyls esp. geogaddi and i was on of their sellers mwuahaha cos i knew it would be repressed again. i'd have actually got all their back cat. for free once its worked out

Eagle Minded
Im not that much into vinyl, but i think ill buy one. Porbs Geogaddi, idk why that deserves to be heard on vinyl.
Toss the sun down the backwards spiral

Sherbet Head
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I think the frustration people are expressing with the represses simply comes from the fact that they paid a lot of money for something they love. I would feel like a bit of a muppet if I had spent £500 or however much for my collection, then to realise that kind of money is no longer necessary.

My main problem stems from the fact that I don't think people care about original pressings enough in general. But hey, now we're entering to the realm of pure subjectivity...

Happy Cycler
noby wrote:
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I think the frustration people are expressing with the represses simply comes from the fact that they paid a lot of money for something they love. I would feel like a bit of a muppet if I had spent £500 or however much for my collection, then to realise that kind of money is no longer necessary.

My main problem stems from the fact that I don't think people care about original pressings enough in general. But hey, now we're entering to the realm of pure subjectivity...

Same thing for comic books, some people have to have the first printings. I have been getting Deadpool Killistrated, I have 1-4 and the #1 that I have is a second printing, and says 2nd Printing right on the cover, it's annoying but I am not going to spend the extra cash just to get a first printing. I am buying it to enjoy it, not to resell anyways.

Posts Quantity
noby wrote:

People do care about original pressings, or maybe not original but at least old, now that people like 4Men or Rhino are pressing reprints from digital masters. But luckily these old pressings (Wire, New Order, etc.) are usually not too rare or expensive.

Eagle Minded
noby wrote:
Opothecary wrote:Can't believe there are still mdg doubters after the events of the past couple weeks. ;)

No don't get me wrong I don't doubt him, I actually don't think I ever have. However, just saying "I recommend you to wait" I don't think qualifies as a confirmation per se.

agree on this, defs.

Don't want to take this out of context, as he hasn't said yes or no.. Just it may happen.. :?

Eagle Minded
noby wrote:

Haha seriously? I think you must be kidding, have you not witnessed how much people froth on these vinyl and various tidbits on here.. Well this place doesn't have every BOC fan, probably very little, of those who would do anything for a delicious piece of originally pressed vinyl and yet I still get a pretty significant feeling of the fiending going on..

Sherbet Head
i don't think we needed mdg to say "i would wait it out" to know the albums will be repressed
i mean this time last year when i was talking to mdg he mentioned that "the new album is on its way" but did i make a thread about it? no. why? because it was ambiguous.
mdg has said a lot of ambiguous things in his time, and going raving mad over this is pointless

also i wouldn't sell him out like that damn, they're called private messages for a reason

</mild>
*farts*

idk

Sherbet Head
seanandcandy wrote:i don't think we needed mdg to say "i would wait it out" to know the albums will be repressed
i mean this time last year when i was talking to mdg he mentioned that "the new album is on its way" but did i make a thread about it? no. why? because it was ambiguous.
mdg has said a lot of ambiguous things in his time, and going raving mad over this is pointless

also i wouldn't sell him out like that damn, they're called private messages for a reason

</mild>

Pffft. If you are so against the sharing of information like that which I received from mdg, then I have no idea why you are a member of this forum. "Sell him out"? He answered a question asked by a stranger on a message board that is home to the most speculative group of fans known to man, do you really think he would have answered if he wasn't willing for the information to be shared?
Yes it is ambiguous. Incase you hadn't realised, almost every thread on this forum is a discussion based on ambiguous information, that is what the forum is for. As far as topics that are worthy of creating a new thread go, I would say this ranks highly compared to most. Quit complaining.

Sherbet Head
As far as topics that are worthy of creating a new thread go, I would say this ranks highly compared to most.

im pretty sure we all knew at some stage they were going to be repressed
and mdg saying 'hold tight', read: nothing that we didn't already know, isn't quite thread worthy
but you're right, what qualifies as 'thread worthy' is probably the more arguable thing.
not that i wanted to argue, that tag said 'mild sarcasm' but it appears the sarcasm part flew off
*farts*

idk

Sherbet Head
now now, let us all have a cup of tea and say a few prayers.

Boqurant
Do you guys know how many plates were pressed up for the other albums?
will be interesting to see if the value of this goes up..

Dayvan Cowboy
mono wrote:
noby wrote:

People do care about original pressings, or maybe not original but at least old, now that people like 4Men or Rhino are pressing reprints from digital masters. But luckily these old pressings (Wire, New Order, etc.) are usually not too rare or expensive.

a lot of time represses are lower quality. perhaps not on the vinyl side, but generally the packaging.
sucks getting lower grade vinyl too. geo seems like its on 180g vinyl. SOLID...nice. i got in a beautiful, thin shitty vinyl. plays like crap and has a pink chip in it. probably scrap from another press of something that jumped into the pressing. got lucky and found a white label promo copy. 180g...FLAT and awesome sounding.

there CAN be value in a first pressing. dont discount it. but if they repress...dont pass it up. may not happen again.

Boqurant
I just pulled out my vinyl copy of Music Has the Right to Children. It shrill has the shrink wrap. Apparently I paid $13.99 for it at Lou's Records in North County San Diego. Pretty sure that qualifies it as better than any other investment decision I have made.

Eagle Minded
>Music forum. One guy on here who has some type of connection (that nobody really knows about or talks about) with the band of said forum.
>Claims band plans to release an album next year.
>Album comes out many years later.
>People state "See I bet you feel silly, those who doubted him."
>Dude sends the guy a message asking about vinyl represses.
>He replies "I dunno lol it could happen."
>Dude comes back saying "Holy fuck, he just confirmed without any shadow of a doubt that there WILL BE VINYL REPRESSES. We are as sure as the earth revolves around the sun."

Seriously, I'm not saying there won't be vinyl represses. But you guys don't understand the meaning of the word "confirmation."

Dayvan Cowboy
PlatrixECV wrote:I just pulled out my vinyl copy of Music Has the Right to Children. It shrill has the shrink wrap. Apparently I paid $13.99 for it at Lou's Records in North County San Diego. Pretty sure that qualifies it as better than any other investment decision I have made.

LOU's i love that shop!
would stop in there after surfing down at Encinitas.

Boqurant
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
PlatrixECV wrote:I just pulled out my vinyl copy of Music Has the Right to Children. It shrill has the shrink wrap. Apparently I paid $13.99 for it at Lou's Records in North County San Diego. Pretty sure that qualifies it as better than any other investment decision I have made.

LOU's i love that shop!
would stop in there after surfing down at Encinitas.

I spent thousands of dollars there during college. We made a weekly trek.

Dayvan Cowboy
ArbitersGround wrote:>Music forum. One guy on here who has some type of connection (that nobody really knows about or talks about) with the band of said forum.
>Claims band plans to release an album next year.
>Album comes out many years later.
>People state "See I bet you feel silly, those who doubted him."
>Dude sends the guy a message asking about vinyl represses.
>He replies "I dunno lol it could happen."
>Dude comes back saying "Holy fuck, he just confirmed without any shadow of a doubt that there WILL BE VINYL REPRESSES. We are as sure as the earth revolves around the sun."

Seriously, I'm not saying there won't be vinyl represses. But you guys don't understand the meaning of the word "confirmation."

As it's been said time and time again, it is confirmed that he has a connection with the band. It's also safe to say that whenever he's giving us information, which, while sparingly (and for good reason), is appreciated, he's going on the most accurate information he has at the moment.

So some snag occurred in 2010. That happens. No, I also don't think this is any "confirmation" of vinyl represses, but I would at least accept that it's being heavily considered.

He's just the messenger going on what he has.

Eagle Minded
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
mono wrote:
noby wrote:

a lot of time represses are lower quality. perhaps not on the vinyl side, but generally the packaging.
sucks getting lower grade vinyl too. geo seems like its on 180g vinyl. SOLID...nice. i got in a beautiful, thin shitty vinyl. plays like crap and has a pink chip in it. probably scrap from another press of something that jumped into the pressing. got lucky and found a white label promo copy. 180g...FLAT and awesome sounding.

there CAN be value in a first pressing. dont discount it. but if they repress...dont pass it up. may not happen again.

I think you have no idea what you are talking about, the weight of the vinyl has nothing to do with the quality of the sound or the pressing, the only difference is that it's more likely to be virgin vinyl rather than recycled :roll:

In fact you will more than likely find that represses have higher quality sound in general, as they are likely remastered and probably have more cash flow with the time that has elapsed.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada