mdg confirms(?) vinyl represses

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
I really hope they are repressed, merely for the fact my wallet can't handle 100 pound haymakers for a vinyl. Even though I desperately want the ones I am missing!
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
harpoon dodger wrote:
polar sky wrote:
Magrathea wrote:ok I read the whole explanation above re: Analog vs Digital (confirmed what I thought I knew)

However how are we sure that the final mix is in analog? I mean the brothers usually work with analog all the time, and I expect that TH is no difference, but once it is mastered and all, isn't it done in digital format or is the mastering also done analog?

So are we sure it's AAD (for CD) and AAA for vinyl? because if it's AD and the vinyl, what gives?

Unfortunately I think most albums these days are mastered digitally and then pressed on vinyl (Not 100% on that). That's why I was surprised when MBV announced their vinyl would be mixed and mastered strictly in analog and then pressed.

Some info on AAA:

http://darkermydudes.blogspot.com/2010/ ... in-uk.html

So I guess if you record, mix and master all of your music on your computer, it makes no sense to press it on vinyl.

It's possible MBV mixed it all down to an lacquer acetate, then recorded it back for the digital master...by doing this, your record will sound identical on CD or vinyl, apparently. Arcade Fire did it on their last record. Makes sense to me?

Yeah but you're still compressing it to CD so it won't be even be close to the vinyl. And if they indeed do that, why would they digitally record a record when they have the master tapes?

It's like fitting a Blu-Ray on to a DVD, sure it's the same movie, but youre going to have a loss of quality.

Dayvan Cowboy
harpoon dodger wrote:
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
harpoon dodger wrote:
polar sky wrote:
Magrathea wrote:ok I read the whole explanation above re: Analog vs Digital (confirmed what I thought I knew)

However how are we sure that the final mix is in analog? I mean the brothers usually work with analog all the time, and I expect that TH is no difference, but once it is mastered and all, isn't it done in digital format or is the mastering also done analog?

So are we sure it's AAD (for CD) and AAA for vinyl? because if it's AD and the vinyl, what gives?

Unfortunately I think most albums these days are mastered digitally and then pressed on vinyl (Not 100% on that). That's why I was surprised when MBV announced their vinyl would be mixed and mastered strictly in analog and then pressed.

Some info on AAA:

So I guess if you record, mix and master all of your music on your computer, it makes no sense to press it on vinyl.

It's possible MBV mixed it all down to an lacquer acetate, then recorded it back for the digital master...by doing this, your record will sound identical on CD or vinyl, apparently. Arcade Fire did it on their last record. Makes sense to me?

you just use one of these...
then transfer from tape...like they used to

Indeed! I'm lucky enough to be going through recording school right now, and we're working off a Sony/MCI JH-24 this semester. Beautiful 2-inch machine..wish I could afford one :roll:

look on ebay man...i was looking to get one. there was an OTARI 2" mastering unit for i think it was 1200. which is CHEAP. seems like a lot of studios in hollywood are dumping the old gear for digi. might want to look at taking advantage of that [granted...when i was looking it was about 5 years ago. maybe they are back in style again]

Dayvan Cowboy
polar sky wrote:
harpoon dodger wrote:
polar sky wrote:

Some info on AAA:

Yeah but you're still compressing it to CD so it won't be even be close to the vinyl. And if they indeed do that, why would they digitally record a record when they have the master tapes?

It's like fitting a Blu-Ray on to a DVD, sure it's the same movie, but youre going to have a loss of quality.

I agree wholeheartedly..was just thinking out loud :P
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Dayvan Cowboy
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
harpoon dodger wrote:
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
harpoon dodger wrote:
polar sky wrote:

Some info on AAA:

you just use one of these...
then transfer from tape...like they used to

Indeed! I'm lucky enough to be going through recording school right now, and we're working off a Sony/MCI JH-24 this semester. Beautiful 2-inch machine..wish I could afford one :roll:

look on ebay man...i was looking to get one. there was an OTARI 2" mastering unit for i think it was 1200. which is CHEAP. seems like a lot of studios in hollywood are dumping the old gear for digi. might want to look at taking advantage of that [granted...when i was looking it was about 5 years ago. maybe they are back in style again]

Lol, I do look from time to time..however, the cost of shipping a giant 24-track machine (and making space for it in my house, etc) doesn't make it that feasible at the moment. I'm more in the market for a nice 1" or 1/2" machine, my Sony TC-366 ain't getting enough use these days :roll:
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Dayvan Cowboy
harpoon dodger wrote:Lol, I do look from time to time..however, the cost of shipping a giant 24-track machine (and making space for it in my house, etc) doesn't make it that feasible at the moment. I'm more in the market for a nice 1" or 1/2" machine, my Sony TC-366 ain't getting enough use these days :roll:

heh fair enough

Posts Quantity
BoC are clearly not going to do this, but the CD and vinyl releases of current albums are surprisingly often mastered differently - with the CD being too flat (all instruments very loud) and the vinyl being less punishing to listen to (but still cut from a digital master, mind.)

But when the CD is properly mastered there is really no audiophile reason to buy the vinyl of a current release if it's not AAA - don't get me wrong, I do get vinyls, but then again I'm no audiophile.

With old releases, though, the vinyl is almost universally better sounding - at the very least, setting "analogue vs digital" wars aside, you don't get a needless (and sometimes shoddy) remastering job. Which is a pity because sometimes people try to charge crazy prices for old vinyl which isn't really hard to find, but oh well.

The good side of buying the CD of old stuff is that you can be sure it's an official release... record stores are flooded with counterfeit LPs which look very convincing and cost full price.

I remember an old Autechre interview where they say they recorded everything on tape. Maybe not anymore since their "official products" are now FLAC files, but...

Posts Quantity
Mexicola wrote:
kelp wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfecting-Sound-Forever-Story-Recorded/dp/1847081401/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369843479&sr=1-1&keywords=perfect+sound+forever

Ha! Was just about to reference that book! An amazing read and one everyone on this forum should seek out 8)

Finally, someone notices me :)

Eagle Minded

Oh dear there are some misguided explanations on here, but to be put simply... Yes you can master on an analogue desk.. In fact analogue desks are extremely common even today, many modern desks that you can buy new right now are partially analogue.

Eagle Minded
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
jcotteri wrote:
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
mono wrote:
noby wrote:
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I think the frustration people are expressing with the represses simply comes from the fact that they paid a lot of money for something they love. I would feel like a bit of a muppet if I had spent £500 or however much for my collection, then to realise that kind of money is no longer necessary.

My main problem stems from the fact that I don't think people care about original pressings enough in general. But hey, now we're entering to the realm of pure subjectivity...

People do care about original pressings, or maybe not original but at least old, now that people like 4Men or Rhino are pressing reprints from digital masters. But luckily these old pressings (Wire, New Order, etc.) are usually not too rare or expensive.

a lot of time represses are lower quality. perhaps not on the vinyl side, but generally the packaging.
sucks getting lower grade vinyl too. geo seems like its on 180g vinyl. SOLID...nice. i got in a beautiful, thin shitty vinyl. plays like crap and has a pink chip in it. probably scrap from another press of something that jumped into the pressing. got lucky and found a white label promo copy. 180g...FLAT and awesome sounding.

there CAN be value in a first pressing. dont discount it. but if they repress...dont pass it up. may not happen again.

I think you have no idea what you are talking about, the weight of the vinyl has nothing to do with the quality of the sound or the pressing, the only difference is that it's more likely to be virgin vinyl rather than recycled :roll:

In fact you will more than likely find that represses have higher quality sound in general, as they are likely remastered and probably have more cash flow with the time that has elapsed.

actually the weight of the vinyl has a lot to do with the quality. youre looking at a better press. a more stable press. less likely to change shape more receptive to a better groove. the thin shit wears and warps quicker.
the sound quality is based off of the width of the groove. but weight helps sustain that groove. i probably dont know though.

Of course if vinyl is thicker it's going to be less prone to warping. Though stating that 180g vinyl is the best sounding, and that represses are generally of lower quality is just a load of rubbish, and clearly though you think you know, you DON'T.

Posts Quantity
regardless of all of the tone bonery wankery going on here i would just like to state, that as an owner of only one of their albums on vinyl i hope they are all repressed... regardless of what they do on the backend.. i fucking trust warp to do whats right for us as listeners. just remember, there are so many ways to put these things out, master them, remaster, remix, add, analog transfer, etc that very few sound like rubbish these days. yes, i said it. most sound great! hell, i have pals that record in garage band and have their music pressed and it sounds amazing, different from the cd master, different from other mediums. dont fucking discount it the exclusively digital to vinyl route. those old machines still add a bit of magic to the formula... anyway, i hope it all comes to fruition.

Dayvan Cowboy
jcotteri wrote:Of course if vinyl is thicker it's going to be less prone to warping. Though stating that 180g vinyl is the best sounding, and that represses are generally of lower quality is just a load of rubbish, and clearly though you think you know, you DON'T.

dont feel bad...one day you might be able to afford it.
downloads are good too.

Eagle Minded
resorting to insults because you have no factual retort to contribute? :o

Good one mate!

Dayvan Cowboy
jcotteri wrote:resorting to insults because you have no factual retort to contribute? :o

Good one mate!

i dunno dude...when you start saying people have no idea what they're talking about being all short....what kind of response would you expect.
done lots of research as i'm gonna press a fun little thing with friends...but i guess everything i read and asked about was false.

youre right...im wrong.

Eagle Minded
gearslutz.com

Here's a good resource in general, perhaps do a little reading on here from people who actually know what they are talking about because I think you have been reading the wrong things :) I do apologise if I was a bit short with you, I just don't like myths to be further spread around, that's all.

I hope you can at least understand a little.

:oops:

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada