10. Palace Posy (4:05)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
jjjamz365 wrote:this song wreaks of SEX

No, no it does not.

Eagle Minded
rainier wrote:Back in high school when I first tried mushrooms my friends and I always talked about getting "dinosaur legs" and this song totally sounds like that. Like you're a tripped out dinosaur wading through the swamp. Atleast that's how it is for me.

Yes, it definitely has a boisterous, lumbering quality to it.
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Sherbet Head
telephasicworkshop wrote:

No, no it does not.

you might be a virgin then because this song stinks of dippin the wick ya feel me
*farts*

idk

Eagle Minded
seanandcandy wrote:you might be a virgin then because this song stinks of dippin the wick ya feel me

Especially those disimbodied voices going "eleven! eleven!... e--ven--eleven!" at the end. Nothing sexier than eerie spectres looming all around you chanting stuff!
My music: ferniecanto.com.br
YouTube: youtube.com/user/FernieCanto
Bandcamp: ferniecanto.bandcamp.com

Latest album: "Builders of Worlds", released on February 2015: http://www.ferniecanto.com.br/bow/

Eagle Minded
Dinosaur sex?

Posts Quantity
I have been trying to figure out what the obfuscated voice samples are and I still can't get it. I want to say it sounds like a sample from some old Japanese animation from the 70's / 80's like Starblazers or something like that. It almost sounds like two robots talking to each other or something.

It also keeps reminding me of Frank Zappa's 'Dumb All Over' for some reason. Well I guess its theme partially but as someone else also pointed out it kind of sounds like the word 'dumb' is in there somewhere.

Eagle Minded
herxagernsurn wrote:I have been trying to figure out what the obfuscated voice samples are and I still can't get it. I want to say it sounds like a sample from some old Japanese animation from the 70's / 80's like Starblazers or something like that. It almost sounds like two robots talking to each other or something.

Wasn't that already nailed down on this thread in page 9? It might not be definitive, but it sure as hell is convincing; and sampling TV idents is well within BoC's modus operandi.
My music: ferniecanto.com.br
YouTube: youtube.com/user/FernieCanto
Bandcamp: ferniecanto.bandcamp.com

Latest album: "Builders of Worlds", released on February 2015: http://www.ferniecanto.com.br/bow/

Eagle Minded
99% sure the vocal is from that logo jingle as well - when pitched down to the same tone, a few sections match up amazingly well. The last three syllables in the track's line is the clearest 'eleven'; I think that's from the end of the logo.

The few high pitched, short on/off slices roughly in the middle for about a second, sound exactly like cuts taken from the word 'television!'.

Posts Quantity
Betacord wrote:99% sure the vocal is from that logo jingle as well - when pitched down to the same tone, a few sections match up amazingly well. The last three syllables in the track's line is the clearest 'eleven'; I think that's from the end of the logo.

The few high pitched, short on/off slices roughly in the middle for about a second, sound exactly like cuts taken from the word 'television!'.

I completely forgot about that! Thank you. I guess they're thinking the apocalypse will be televised then.

Sherbet Head
after listening to palace posy earlier today at work, i realized that you guys are correct in that it may be the track from the album that is from their early work, i originally guessed nothing is real, and it still may be that track, but palace posy def. have an old school boc vibe to it. and it really doesnt fit into the rest of the album which is kind of strange.

Dayvan Cowboy
the moment where the root note comes in a half note late in the bass line at the end is fucking perfect

Friendly Stranger
seanandcandy wrote:
telephasicworkshop wrote:

No, no it does not.

you might be a virgin then because this song stinks of dippin the wick ya feel me

If I find a girl that would have sex to this song, she's a keeper.

Friendly Stranger
Here's my 2 cents:

Just as the title is a mixed-up rearrangement of "Apocalypse" and the vocal samples are (apparently) a re-arranged version of that TV-11 jingle, the track depicts a tribal cargo-cultish society built from remnants of the collapsed (our) society. People seem to find comfort in there being SOME kind of order and structure, even if it doesn't make sense. The arc of the album (listening from 1-17) can be seen as the collapse of one society, the emergence of its replacement, and that new society's progression to the point where we see that it, too, is headed towards collapse.

Sherbet Head
Palace Posy - Apocalypse

BOC becoming more Nihilistic, celebrating the end of the world...

Watch this clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bevvoBsNLA

Posts Quantity
Well, there's some kind of voice in the right channel that starts in 1m06 and ends at 2m10, approximately. Quite hard to say, because it's well buried. Anyone?

Boqurant
lankydoom wrote:
Maybe the song as per the above meanings is a poetic commentary on ancient civilisation and how post apocalypse we would revert to being an ancient civilisation again. Just a barren landscape, nothing. It kinda fits with the idea that collapse falls before it in the normal flow of the tracks on the album.

I could be very wrong, but it is fun to theorise. Thoughts?

I like this idea! It fits with the Collapse-being-the-centre-of-a-palendromic-structure theory, too!

Makes me think from Gemini through to Collapse is the birth and death of our world now (or maybe the world before us?) From Palace Posy through to the end of the album is the rebirth of humanity after the apocalypse. In another stretch of the imagination - Nothing Is Real mentions Jesus in the sample, in a timeline, Palace Posy acting as the early stages of man, Nothing Is Real acts as the early years of A.D., falling with the idea that Gemini - Collapse is the birth and death of the world previous to ours...

Posts Quantity
w31rd numb3r wrote:Well, there's some kind of voice in the right channel that starts in 1m06 and ends at 2m10, approximately. Quite hard to say, because it's well buried. Anyone?

Feels like they intentionally hide something that we'll be aware of but never realise what is it.
Heartbreaking, when I hear these speeches in said track and in Nothing is real also.
Hope it's possible to make it clearer. :roll:

Boqurant
green calx wrote:
w31rd numb3r wrote:Well, there's some kind of voice in the right channel that starts in 1m06 and ends at 2m10, approximately. Quite hard to say, because it's well buried. Anyone?

Feels like they intentionally hide something that we'll be aware of but never realise what is it.
Heartbreaking, when I hear these speeches in said track and in Nothing is real also.
Hope it's possible to make it clearer. :roll:

I'm certainly not clued up on how sound works, but if someone has managed to completely isolate the drums, surely they can do so for this voice?

Dayvan Cowboy
If only.

Posts Quantity
sounds like someone's singing, I can even hear the melody, but the words..

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada