06. Cold Earth (3:42)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Elexen wrote:
DawnChorus wrote:This track is fantastic, weird to see not more people are taking about this one. Truly sounds like an update on the classic BoC sound

Agreed. This song was the first one that hit me hard when I was listening all the way thru for the first time. Such a great simultaneously light and dark sound with a great beat and flow. I love this one.

Same here!
Pure BoC in this one!

Friendly Stranger
I like the way the track builds-up. I like the female-like short voice bits run through some delay effects etc. - it gives this specific coldness feeling .Initialy, when the track was available via poor quality YT video from Detroit I thought this voice was overlayed, or it was some announcement done through PA.
Can't wait till I get the CD and listen to it in proper quality.
::::: polarismusic.eu :::::: scamall.net ::::::

Dayvan Cowboy
This one is like.. I don't know. I've listened to it several times now.

It's like riding the same Skyliner ( :wink: ), but after the apocalypse.

That, and.. well, this right here..
paultomba wrote:
Wonder Spunion wrote:...that bass dropped and this website blew up like we all just hit the lottery. That right there is a moment I'll never forget. It will always remain as one of my favorite moments in life.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

New Seed
Does anyone else miss the guy from the Detroit transmission video yelling his guts out? Man, I've watched that video 100 times...

Eagle Minded
Dorrrian wrote:Does anyone else miss the guy from the Detroit transmission video yelling his guts out? Man, I've watched that video 100 times...

Lol, "YEAAAAHHH!!"

Dayvan Cowboy
I feel like this song could've been jammed on Geogaddi and it would've fit right into the tracklist. It is awesome though.
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Sherbet Head
Wonder Spunion wrote:, when I think about that moment we all sat staring at our monitors listening to the live stream, that bass dropped and this website blew up like we all just hit the lottery. That right there is a moment I'll never forget. It will always remain as one of my favorite moments in life. That moment right there was the beginning of the climax that took 7 years to cultivate, and that moment will never happen again.

This.

It's just so immediate. It's like a parody of a BoC track almost. All the elements are in place. I think I might have been a bit under whelmed by the Detroit video. I only watched it a couple of times and then sort of forgot about it. Then on the transmission it revealed itself. I'd love a 7" with this on one side and Nothing Is Real on the other.

Friendly Stranger
Just came back from my first listen of TH (skipped the live transmission and listening party recordings), and this track is where the album kind of started for me.

The percussion on this track is so spacious and amazing, it really felt like the album opened up here!

Eagle Minded
Oh my god. This track is really, really growing on me. Incredible percussion, and when those staccato vocal samples kick in ... oh lord

Boqurant
"There seems to be a brief phrase in vocoded speach saying "You're too old"."
"When I was a fetus I was nostalgic for when I was sperm".

Boqurant
Anyone know what the "one second" of super awesome audio/sound is in this song that BoC refer to in the guardian interview?

Boqurant
Calvin wrote:Anyone know what the "one second" of super awesome audio/sound is in this song that BoC refer to in the guardian interview?

The one second burst of noise at 1:56 that comes after the sonar ping, and before the counting voice.. Noticed that the first time I listened to the track, awesome.

Sherbet Head
There are so many little odds and ends in this song I'll be damned if I know what that one second might be. There's one part that sounds like someone doing Morse code on an atari or something, I was wondering if it was that. But there's way more in this song than it appears at first listen.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Sherbet Head
This track is my current earworm.

That must mean it's my current fave. 8)

Sherbet Head
Yup, it's my favorite of the day. Love that sound like a metallic laser egg cracking open.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Friendly Stranger
rainier wrote:Yup, it's my favorite of the day. Love that sound like a metallic laser egg cracking open.

wow what an right on description of that sound.

Eagle Minded
From Telepath, into this immediate stunner of a track - very possibly the combined highlight.

The anticipated first listen of this was at a fairly good volume... Brilliant yet an almost ambivalent experience.

Emotionally moved by a beautifully expressive but sort of achingly bittersweet tune, while physically racing and up on the kick and energy of some pretty killer drum patterns; being pulled in the two directions at once - for a brief moment I wasn't sure whether to shed a tear or punch the air 100 times!

A few listens after that of course, got used to it and can approach it more seriously - but 'immediate' is definitely the word for this one: the first track of TH that hit me proper, and it's actually a great distillation of what BOC do so well.

Dayvan Cowboy
DawnChorus wrote:This track is fantastic, weird to see not more people are taking about this one. Truly sounds like an update on the classic BoC sound

Totes!

The start reminds me of the old old boardsofcanada.com website with the flash vid flying over different lands and there was an ice land in there with that same sort of music that is at the start of this track.

Also the vocals remind me of Dirty Great Marble remix.

Boqurant
Solstice wrote:
Calvin wrote:Anyone know what the "one second" of super awesome audio/sound is in this song that BoC refer to in the guardian interview?

The one second burst of noise at 1:56 that comes after the sonar ping, and before the counting voice.. Noticed that the first time I listened to the track, awesome.

Haha, excellent...
Exactly what I came to this thread, looking for.

Sherbet Head
I actually didn't notice that noise too much until today. It's funny how so many of us are falling in love with certain tracks at the same time. Yesterday was all about Split Your Infinities for me, today is Cold Earth and it's crazy lasers. Anyone else think it sounds like the male voice is saying "guilt"?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada