06. Cold Earth (3:42)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
rainier wrote:See also: BOOM pa pa chhh BOOM pa pa chh

Best part of the track!

Sherbet Head
Calvin wrote:
Turbo Moe wrote:
Solstice wrote:
Calvin wrote:Anyone know what the "one second" of super awesome audio/sound is in this song that BoC refer to in the guardian interview?

The one second burst of noise at 1:56 that comes after the sonar ping, and before the counting voice.. Noticed that the first time I listened to the track, awesome.

I think the ethereal, cold clinging sound at 1:23 is the sound they're referring to.

THAT WAS SO WORTH THEIR JOURNEY, WOW!

I know right! Maybe one of my favorite little sounds they've done ever (still love the slide projector in kid for today best). I also like the weird noise that happens right before the yelps. How do they come up with this stuff?
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Boqurant
This is the tune I'd been waiting 7 years for. Thank you, BOC.

Was initially surprised to hear that the short delays on the snare/vox weren't just an effect of the audio bouncing around the amphitheater in the YouTube video, but it works perfectly regardless. The Aquarius/1969 of TH. Flawless victory.

Boqurant
This is classic BOC!
I'm only on my second listen but I really love this track.

Posts Quantity
Just a thought, but does anyone think the special sound effect box wasn't used for that metallic ninja sound but instead for the "x" sound at 3:02?

That whole clipped vocal sample repeats but on the last run through that sound effect is used instead of what was on the prior sequence, and that sound is much diff than all the other samples used in the sequence.

Anyone cracked what is being spelled out?

Eagle Minded
I can just get something like this

WATCH YOU H WAIT U 'U' H B

That. But not that...
J'aime faire des craquettes aux chiens!

Friendly Stranger
Impossible Geometry wrote:that metallic sound coupled with the snare at 1:24 slays me!

This.

Easily my favorite bit of the album. Best song too.

Eagle Minded
the vocals on this entire album are amazing.

Boqurant
Roygbiv- the next generation.

Boqurant
I know right! Maybe one of my favorite little sounds they've done ever (still love the slide projector in kid for today best). I also like the weird noise that happens right before the yelps. How do they come up with this stuff?

Seriously the music moment of my life was hearing that slide projector in Kid for Today the first time.

Just after the coveted 1:23 sound i LOVE how the next sound phases up and down and turns into the syncopated percussion in the beat. Total pick my brain up of the floor moment, every time.

On the bus today heading to work I was listening to Cold Earth and as soon as that part hit my face went all total bliss as it always does in that moment and this girl sitting next to me looked at me in this weird yet really intriguing way, like she wanted to have a listen and find out why my face melted:)

I should have offered her my headphones, but then I would have missed out. Haha.
Green

Friendly Stranger
cfish wrote:In relation to XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX....

IF the vocal samples are all numbers, there are 36 of them. Hopefully they'll be clearer/more decipherable once my legit copy from Bleep arrives.

Apophenia, perhaps... But still interesting.

Been listening to the WAVs as closely as possible, and this is all I can make out:

178621/062131/7862?2/121786/?32131/7862?3

The stuff in bold, I'm pretty sure about. Regular fonts are maybes. Question marks = I have no clue, but they still sound vaguely like numbers.

I also tried substituting 4 and 5 for the question marks at cosecha-transmisiones.com, but no dice. Maybe someone else can hear it better.

You've got to admit though...most of the samples are definitely numbers, and the fact that there are exactly 36 of them would make you think it's more than coincidental.

Boqurant
cfish wrote:

IF the vocal samples are all numbers, there are 36 of them. Hopefully they'll be clearer/more decipherable once my legit copy from Bleep arrives.

Been listening to the WAVs as closely as possible, and this is all I can make out:

The stuff in bold, I'm pretty sure about. Regular fonts are maybes. Question marks = I have no clue, but they still sound vaguely like numbers.

I also tried substituting 4 and 5 for the question marks at cosecha-transmisiones.com, but no dice. Maybe someone else can hear it better.

You've got to admit though...most of the samples are definitely numbers, and the fact that there are exactly 36 of them would make you think it's more than coincidental.

This is really intriguing and I think you may well be on to something here.

Perhaps if we all had a stab at what the numbers were and took the consensus we might get this code cracked. Just looked and it's called Wisdom of the Crowd

e.g.
In 1907, Sir Francis Galton asked 787 villagers to guess the weight of an ox. None of them got the right answer, but when Galton averaged their guesses, he arrived at a near perfect estimate.

If we all chipped in.... :D

Boqurant
This track works pretty well backwards as well, a slightly more surreal, oriental touch to the melodies. Actually starting to get somewhat addicted to the backwards version :) .

Posts Quantity
So I tried slowing down the spelling bits and my theory is that it spells out HEXAGONSUN, but not in order.

I can't make out every letter that would spell it, but every letter I can hear would fit.

Evidence:

-10 samples in each sequence.
-10 letters to spell Hexagon Sun
-definite "x", "h" "e" and "u"

Possibilities:
-some letters are reversed?
-or they use a short word starting with the letter (thought i might have heard a really short "grape" or maybe "great", which could be the G, etc.)

Boqurant
cfish wrote:

The 8's sound like its pronunciation in spanish, "ocho"
"When I was a fetus I was nostalgic for when I was sperm".

Sherbet Head
lankydoom wrote:On the bus today heading to work I was listening to Cold Earth and as soon as that part hit my face went all total bliss as it always does in that moment and this girl sitting next to me looked at me in this weird yet really intriguing way, like she wanted to have a listen and find out why my face melted:)

I should have offered her my headphones, but then I would have missed out. Haha.

Haha this is me on the bus everyday. And on my breaks at work. Every day my coworkers are like "what the hell are you listening to all the time and why do you have that look on your face?".

Also love the cute little girl sounding voice in this song ^____^
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Posts Quantity
cfish wrote:
cfish wrote:..the fact that there are exactly 36 of them would make you think it's more than coincidental.

I knew it! But I get too distracted by how awesome the track is, and how well it builds. All the "slap back" delay seems to bury all but 2, 6 and 8 for me. Might try listening to one channel only.

Sherbet Head
If you listen closely to what seems to be the melodic pad at the beginning, you'll notice that the little staccato voice mentioned in this thread is not the only vocal sample in this song...listen to what this sound is saying, slowwwwlllllyyyy. ;)

Dayvan Cowboy
Skytree wrote:If you listen closely to what seems to be the melodic pad at the beginning, you'll notice that the little staccato voice mentioned in this thread is not the only vocal sample in this song...listen to what this sound is saying, slowwwwlllllyyyy. ;)
I'm interested, but I'm not hearing anything :P

Eagle Minded
Skytree wrote:If you listen closely to what seems to be the melodic pad at the beginning, you'll notice that the little staccato voice mentioned in this thread is not the only vocal sample in this song...listen to what this sound is saying, slowwwwlllllyyyy. ;)

What time range are you indicating?
J'aime faire des craquettes aux chiens!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada