06. Cold Earth (3:42)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Eeerrhm where's the edit button? I was going to post a link to an amplified versión (please note: VERY LOUD):

phpBB [media]
---
Fuck transphobes

Eagle Minded
Radiobuzz wrote:It's Jacquard Causeway's outro, Fernie said it a couple of posts ago.

Hi Radiobuzz,

I know, but 'arvy' wanted to hear it.

PT :)

Dayvan Cowboy
ok, thank you guys :)

Sherbet Head
North by North wrote:
w31rd numb3r wrote:Cold Earth undoubtedly came from the untitled ATP that starts around 44:06, for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm1BjJNd3JU

Anyone else?

I think it's ATP # 2, not the mark above. Specifically searched this topic because I think it sounds VERY close to track 2 at ATP- the synths and melody- esp around the 1:25 mark when the higher line comes in. I played Cold Earth over top of it too and can't help but see a very close resemblance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JMh6l_CCc

No?

Dayvan Cowboy
North by North wrote:
North by North wrote:
w31rd numb3r wrote:Cold Earth undoubtedly came from the untitled ATP that starts around 44:06, for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm1BjJNd3JU

Anyone else?

I think it's ATP # 2, not the mark above. Specifically searched this topic because I think it sounds VERY close to track 2 at ATP- the synths and melody- esp around the 1:25 mark when the higher line comes in. I played Cold Earth over top of it too and can't help but see a very close resemblance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JMh6l_CCc

No?

Aha! You're both right!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JMh6l_CCc#t=1m20s

This is APT #2. Give it five seconds from the point I just gave you. You'll hear that higher-pitched synth line that we all know and love from Cold Earth, where it acts as more of a melody.

However, the 44:06 mark from the other link also TOTALLY has the same chord structure.

Everybody wins! Good ears, people.

Eagle Minded
Cold Earth flows seemlessly into Transmisiones Ferox if you amplify the end of the former and the beginning of the latter, so it seems like they have always remained together in the track listing.

New Seed
99% sure the main synth chord progression is sampled directly from the opening notes from the 'Tales of the Darkside' intro by transposing down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mioevxb2CfA
______ ___ __ _ _ _ _

Welcome to the World of Tomorrow...

Dayvan Cowboy
Super solid track. very 3D, but not just how it sounds, but the visiuals it gives to you, remember was listening to it on shrooms. very vibrant sound, just detonates your brain up with all the frequency after that first drop

Dayvan Cowboy
bump, this track could be easily one of the best on the album, just rename it "mad hectic BOC beats" or "cosmic particle ray shower " I perefer the last one,

still this track feels somehow out of place? it easily could be on any other boc record, or possible new EP?

Posts Quantity
Just discovered this song by Peverelist...did Boards of Canada rip off the beginning for Cold Earth? Came out a year beforehand. Probably a coincidence.

phpBB [media]
I saw my future. I saw my past. For a few minutes it was like being alive.

Sherbet Head
You gotta think they were woking on Cold Earth bf that, but it does sound very similar!!

Sherbet Head
wash wrote:Just discovered this song by Peverelist...did Boards of Canada rip off the beginning for Cold Earth? Came out a year beforehand. Probably a coincidence.

Thanks for sharing, good track! And yes it sounds eerily similar. But as you said probably a coincidence, well spotted though!
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy
Waterbagel wrote:
Aha! You're both right!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JMh6l_CCc#t=1m20s

This is APT #2. Give it five seconds from the point I just gave you. You'll hear that higher-pitched synth line that we all know and love from Cold Earth, where it acts as more of a melody.

However, the 44:06 mark from the other link also TOTALLY has the same chord structure.

Everybody wins! Good ears, people.

This is the same chord structure used in An Eagle in Your Mind and towards the end of Sick Times. It seems to be a recurring pattern for them.

Dayvan Cowboy
I've made a short video to show the recurring chord patterns. I will make another one for all the variants of the Olson one at some point soon.

phpBB [media]

Boqurant
that's spot on! never found those songs similar but the chords are almost exactly the same. great job
nautilus | member of the orange collective

Posts Quantity
Neat! I'm interested to hear the other ones!

As for "Cold Earth," the song definitely has more of a "TCH" mid-2000's vibe to it. I bet anything it was one of the first tracks to be written for Tomorrow's Harvest... Who knows, maybe it started life as an unfinished TCH track.

Boqurant
GeoDose wrote:As for "Cold Earth," the song definitely has more of a "TCH" mid-2000's vibe to it. I bet anything it was one of the first tracks to be written for Tomorrow's Harvest... Who knows, maybe it started life as an unfinished TCH track.

nah, I think it's a bit too "cold" or "sad" (idk how to put that in words) to be part of The Campfire Headphase or even Trans Canada Highway. I think it was pretty much crafted specifically for Tomorrow's Harvest. but then again, pure uninformed speculation :D

Posts Quantity
Nautilus wrote:
GeoDose wrote:As for "Cold Earth," the song definitely has more of a "TCH" mid-2000's vibe to it. I bet anything it was one of the first tracks to be written for Tomorrow's Harvest... Who knows, maybe it started life as an unfinished TCH track.

nah, I think it's a bit too "cold" or "sad" (idk how to put that in words) to be part of The Campfire Headphase or even Trans Canada Highway. I think it was pretty much crafted specifically for Tomorrow's Harvest. but then again, pure uninformed speculation :D

Well it definitely fits in well on TH, I was just thinking that because it has hard-hitting percussion (as opposed to minimal percussion) and with the relatively fast tempo, it could also have worked on TCH, IMO anyways. It's definitely more bouncy and energetic when compared to most other tracks on Tomorrow's Harvest.

Edit: and don't forget, TCH had a couple of sombre songs on it as well, like "Slow this bird Down."

Dayvan Cowboy
I actually always thought Cold Earth would have fit perfectly on Geogaddi, with the driving beat, number-station-style child counting, and bleak synth melody.

Boqurant
GeoDose wrote:
Well it definitely fits in well on TH, I was just thinking that because it has hard-hitting percussion (as opposed to minimal percussion) and with the relatively fast tempo, it could also have worked on TCH, IMO anyways. It's definitely more bouncy and energetic when compared to most other tracks on Tomorrow's Harvest.

Edit: and don't forget, TCH had a couple of sombre songs on it as well, like "Slow this bird Down."

I thought it didn't fit in because of the combination of the"desolate," "sad" melody / drone as well as the overpowering drums and sharp beats. No song on TCH has that combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada