06. Cold Earth (3:42)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
chronical wrote:
PlacentaSand wrote:the best part of the track is the vocoded voice after the ping around 1:24 in the song. then right after that a very low "Yeeeaaaahh" sounding sample that's very faint. you can hear it better in the live recording from the movement event.

That "Yeeeaaaaahh" thing is just a guy in the crowd screaming.. Don't think it's a sample. It's not in the album version as far as I know. Would be weird.

hahaha no no im not talking about that dude who screamed "Yeah!" that's pretty obvious.

after the vocoded voice there is sort of an Egyptian sounding sample that's very very faint and blends in with the synth so its super hard to make out.

Posts Quantity
Cold Earth undoubtedly came from the untitled ATP that starts around 44:06, for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm1BjJNd3JU

Anyone else?

Sherbet Head
w31rd numb3r wrote:Cold Earth undoubtedly came from the untitled ATP that starts around 44:06, for me.

Anyone else?

holy shit, now that you say it.

not the sounds in the forefront. but the sounds deep in the background, they sound almost exactly the same as they synths in cold earth, you have incredible ears and concentration my friend!

dont get me wrong, we could be way off. but you still made me pick up on something i never noticed before in that atp track.

Sherbet Head
Pete Standing Alone's beginning at 45 RPM sounds like Cold Earth a bit.

Dayvan Cowboy
can't get this track out of my head, the true grower, one of the best from them

Eagle Minded
This one is starting to remind me of the Sandsings remix.

New Seed
Hi,newbie here

In regards to the supposed secret code in cold earth.i'm a music producer by profession with a pretty well acoustically treated studio.friend of mine had the tommorows harvest wav rips and he to was curious to see if i could notice anything engineering and critical listening being a large part of my profession (i'll climb out my own ass now and get to the point)

Anyways,i chopped up all the words and split the signal into mid and side signals by inverting one channel that was completely summed to mono gives you the stereo difference or "sides"as it is incorrectly called

I'm about 90% sure that if their is a secret code the artists in question expect you to work your ass off to find it because it's pretty much chopped up syllables and the odd number here and there but largely the majority of the vocal chops are syllables and without the consonants they are extremely unintelligible and could be interpreted any number of ways

I've even eq'd the snot out of a very narrow band to try see if the frontend of the samples is alot lower in the dynamic range with the album not being that compressed,limited etc.no dice

I did get onto something quite odd though.some of the hi-hats proceeding the words kind of sound like consonants in isolation and their spectrum kind of confirms this (hats are very uniform in their spectrum in the top end.consonants and plosives look almost comb filtered aka dips with following peaks just like a comb)

I'll post what i think they are a little later on i did notice alot of B's and.maybe an F but i'm not getting where some folks have got these number sequences from.the sequence is repeated every 16bars with one or two variations on the original pattern containing the same chopped up vocal snippets

Also a producers observation, has anybody gotten onto the fact that the pad throughout the part with the vocal snippets is a vocal choir of some sort through a vocoder?

Don't know much about BOC although my mate is obsessed with them.definitely liking this album though,plenty of ear candy

Peace

Jonsim'd

Well, first of all - welcome!

Secondly, that's possibly one of the most interesting debut posts I've read, certainly in a long way. Look forward to your results with interest to say the least 8)

Slow down...

Boqurant
very interesting. we were beginning to think the samples are supposed to be unintelligible too.
the title might be a play on 'cold war', building on the idea of coded communication.
-

Boqurant
going down the rabbit hole a bit but what the hell. everyone needs a cicada break sometime.

this was (maybe) spotted in the Tomorrow's Harvest transmission video:
http://i.imgur.com/ChRUq1j.jpg
they seem to have down-graded the gmaps imagery there if you try to check it out again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Comm ... ld_E._Holt
the trideco arrays also make an interesting shape.

used for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_low_f ... on_methods
"Because of the low bandwidth available it is not possible to transmit audio signals, therefore all messaging is done with (coded) alphanumeric data at very low bit rates."

though not audible, the signal is one-way communicated instructions for the military and could be interpreted as the machine language of modern conflict. end of line inarguable orders in lock-step with every other nation doing the same thing. intervals imposed by the limitations of the technology dictate the clock of the chess game.

"on the new record we are rather using the old idea of soundtracks. Small fragments, and melodies that are cut off abruptly."
which would be a clever way to pull away from the scene before revealing how it plays out, if the tension and build-up are what is more important.

the song is pretty minimal and doesn't reveal much besides: melody that can be described as repetitive (even echoing or mimicking itself) and voices which are (partially) childish and unintelligible. pretty good descriptors for the cold war too.

there is also a sweet slow static sweep that begins before the drums kick in, weaving nicely into the rhythm.
-

Dayvan Cowboy
This is simply an outstanding track that ranks all the way with their best work, it has something about it that just completely captivates me but not as their old material does, I would have a hard time describing what it is but it's almost like I am part of the music and not only the listener, I feel as if it is calling to me and waiting, in a sense, for feedback, it's hard to say what exactly does that, but that's the raw feeling of it.

Sherbet Head
w31rd numb3r wrote:Cold Earth undoubtedly came from the untitled ATP that starts around 44:06, for me.

Anyone else?

I think it's ATP # 2, not the mark above. Specifically searched this topic because I think it sounds VERY close to track 2 at ATP- the synths and melody- esp around the 1:25 mark when the higher line comes in. I played Cold Earth over top of it too and can't help but see a very close resemblance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JMh6l_CCc

Eagle Minded
jonsim'd wrote:Hi,newbie here

Also a producers observation, has anybody gotten onto the fact that the pad throughout the part with the vocal snippets is a vocal choir of some sort through a vocoder?

Peace

Jonsim'd

hmmm, I can hear the how that voice may be a processed choir, but what lets you know that for sure, technically?

Eagle Minded
I FOUND SOMETHING

Ok I'm gonna do this with every track on TH. If you open up Cold Earth onto audacity and amplify the last 5 seconds of the song, you can clearly hear that cold earth links into another song

I'm trying to figure out which one, but this supports the theory that all the tracks are in a different order
And perhaps the correct order reveals some kind of secret? I'm guessing

Eagle Minded
Ok and the same thing happens with uritual. When you amplify the first second, you can clearly hear one song link to another.

Dayvan Cowboy
you guys should embed your youtube links--one of the greatest parts of the new forum!

just wrap the youtube link in [media][/media] tags

Dayvan Cowboy
Headphase wrote:Ok and the same thing happens with uritual. When you amplify the first second, you can clearly hear one song link to another.

can record and upload all this, thank you!

Dayvan Cowboy
actually I think it's fascinating idea, I'm gonna try my self, I always heard that Semena Mertvykh has interesting ending, if you amp a little while listening to the vinyl. but I recently heard it on my CD too

Posts Quantity
Headphase wrote:Ok and the same thing happens with uritual. When you amplify the first second, you can clearly hear one song link to another.

i've already done this some time ago, here are the most interesting results:
https://soundcloud.com/dmtrptpv/sets/fade-outs

Eagle Minded
After some audio tinkering, I heard these numbers:

47842022/8 47842/2/8 478428 2/8 47842/8...

The missing ones sound like 'F' or 'X' to me... 'X = 10'?? :?

I definitely hear repeats of 47842 though.

As a 'nothing to lose' desperate search, I put 47842 and Cold Earth into a search engine and discovered the Mauna Kea Natural Ice Age Reserve, situated right next to the 'Gemini Telescope'... The numbers happened to be it's Western GPS co-ordinates.

Probably a massive coincidence.... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mauna+Kea,+Hawaii,+USA/@19.82,-155.47,15z/data=!4m6!1m3!3m2!1s0x0000000000000000:0xc4dad786a5b1882f!2sGemini+Telescope!3m1!1s0x7953bd819bc89e11:0xf9159b9c95991c20 But the Gemini Telescope looks very BOC. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada