09. Collapse (2:49)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
SneakyTT wrote:Been playing around with this track, speeding it up, etc. At around 200% speed I heard a voice saying "you are the enemy". You can hear it in the normal track, from 2:05 to 2:12. And then what sounds like a distant scream. Scary stuff.

Woah. They weren't kidding about the subliminal stuff. Cool!

Posts Quantity
I just made an MP3 of the reverse and forward versions of the track playing at the same together, and holy shit it's mental. Will post it in a bit.

EDIT: http://www.wikiupload.com/RDXM60K8VFBZ1AE
I saw my future. I saw my past. For a few minutes it was like being alive.

Friendly Stranger
wash wrote:I just made an MP3 of the reverse and forward versions of the track playing at the same together, and holy shit it's mental. Will post it in a bit.

I did this too. I put the Forward track in the L speaker and the backwards track in the R speaker. The arp is EXACTLY the same. The alternating pad beneath doesn't sync, but holy shit. So awesome.

Here's mine: http://www.wikiupload.com/4A8T02IW1KZX1G3

Upon listening to yours, they don't sync… Not sure why.

Posts Quantity
Am I right if I say 02:04,5 of the track is the actual center point of the album?

My rough calculations tells me so, and that would also mean it works as the definitive pivot point if you look at the album as palindromic.

Sherbet Head
chorus wrote:Am I right if I say 02:04,5 of the track is the actual center point of the album?

My rough calculations tells me so, and that would also mean it works as the definitive pivot point if you look at the album as palindromic.

Yeah that's right. In my head that's where you place the mirror. It makes me think of Infinite Jest where one of the quebecois terrorist groups places giant mirrors out on the roads in the desert so people crash into them.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Posts Quantity
It's the abrupt ending that does it for me.

Eagle Minded
5th listen of the album today (this one FLAC) and each time I hear that track I have to read the track name, each time I'm surprised and think 'which track is this?', surprising me every time…

I really think its an ideal final track in the palindrome format 1, 17, 2, 16, 3 …
J'aime faire des craquettes aux chiens!

Sherbet Head
1, 17, 2, 16...etc is actually taking it out of palindrome format. This song does sound amazeballs in flac though.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Eagle Minded
rainier wrote:1, 17, 2, 16...etc is actually taking it out of palindrome format. This song does sound amazeballs in flac though.

What I mean is taking the palindrome at its mid point and folding it in two, so the mid point………… oh FFFUUUCK I've gotta try this tomorrow, fold the album! Give me some spice!!!!
J'aime faire des craquettes aux chiens!

Sherbet Head
purgruv wrote:
rainier wrote:1, 17, 2, 16...etc is actually taking it out of palindrome format. This song does sound amazeballs in flac though.

What I mean is taking the palindrome at its mid point and folding it in two, so the mid point………… oh FFFUUUCK I've gotta try this tomorrow, fold the album! Give me some spice!!!!

I've been thinking of this idea and wondering if anyone else would come up with it, sure more folks have......?

Dayvan Cowboy
purgruv wrote:

So start it with Collapse, then 8, 10, 7, 11, 6, 12, 5, 13, 4, 14, 3, 15, 2, 16, 1, 17 ?

that's how I picture it folding.

Posts Quantity
I know this might be ridiculous, but I come from the school of "everything is on the table."
Might the cover be somehow representative of this uneven palindromic arrangement? I feel like there are 8 buildings both to the left and right of the sun, though I'm sure they can be counted in a variety of ways. Then when you guys mentioned folding it reminded me of those mad magazine fold-up illusions, so I was imagining someone trying that with the cover. Not that I have any idea what might emerge.

Dayvan Cowboy
Got this from another thread, but what it would really sound like "folded"? Similar to the AAAA/BBBB clue, what if 1, 17 - 2, 16 - 3, 15, etc were meant to be played on top of each other at the same time, with Collapse as track 9?

ie.

Track 1 - 1/17
Track 2 - 2/16
Track 3 - 3/15
Track 4 - 4/14
Track 5 - 5/13
Track 6 - 6/12
Track 7 - 7/11
Track 8 - 8/10
Track 9 - 9

Boqurant
Man, the intro to this song creeps me out so much. It sounds like the distorted groaning of some unspeakably evil creature being burnt to death or something...

Dayvan Cowboy
blastrid wrote:
wash wrote:I just made an MP3 of the reverse and forward versions of the track playing at the same together, and holy shit it's mental. Will post it in a bit.

I did this too. I put the Forward track in the L speaker and the backwards track in the R speaker. The arp is EXACTLY the same. The alternating pad beneath doesn't sync, but holy shit. So awesome.

Here's mine: http://www.wikiupload.com/4A8T02IW1KZX1G3

Upon listening to yours, they don't sync… Not sure why.
intense!

Dayvan Cowboy
Opothecary wrote:Got this from another thread, but what it would really sound like "folded"? Similar to the AAAA/BBBB clue, what if 1, 17 - 2, 16 - 3, 15, etc were meant to be played on top of each other at the same time, with Collapse as track 9?

ie.

Track 1 - 1/17
Track 2 - 2/16
Track 3 - 3/15
Track 4 - 4/14
Track 5 - 5/13
Track 6 - 6/12
Track 7 - 7/11
Track 8 - 8/10
Track 9 - 9
doesnt work at all, unforunately :P

Sherbet Head
I love the "wind" type sound in this tune. To me it sounds more like someone talking than wind though. Like a voice has been completely garbled and destroyed. Its starting to creep me out haha.. I'm probably just imagining it though.

Boqurant
Mod closed the thread discussing whether this track is the 'true' end of the album or not so I'll put a link to it here for anyone who's bothered :)

http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10919

miklatov wrote:Mod closed the thread discussing whether this track is the 'true' end of the album or not so I'll put a link to it here for anyone who's bothered :)

http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10919

thank you, we'd rather have the song discussion be centered in these specific threads.

Dayvan Cowboy
like diving station it sounds like collapse has vocals in the background slowed WAY down.
i took the track, reversed it, sped it up and filtered it. i hear vox...i just cant make it out.
its just the first couple seconds of the track [last couple secs, now that it has been reversed.]

i just posted the part where i distinctly hear vox.
https://soundcloud.com/ziggy-starnutz/c ... sed-spedup

something is definitely there....i just cant make it out myself.
had to check cuz it has that same voxy air to it like diving station has.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada