09. Collapse (2:49)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Keep the discussion to this track in this specific thread.

Please also add your findings to the following wiki article: http://bocpages.org/wiki/Collapse#Comments

Make sure to add a reference on bocpages to your post on twoism detailing your finding.

example text of what to put on bocpages:
Code: Select all
* Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. <ref>http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2</ref>

The hyperlink between the <ref></ref> will automatically generate a reference to that link.

---

Collapse is a very overlooked track in my opinion, the sounds of the wind blowing with a fastpaced melody that reminds me of M9 and other old tunes tracks.

This album really impressed me in it's ability to stay "Timeless", in that Mike and Marcus took their best qualities of all of their work and brought it together to make something ultimately unique.

tracks like this, Jacquard Causeway and Palace Posy are all some very nice throwbacks to their back catalog sounds.
you don't care to hear until you listen

Eagle Minded
I actually absolutely love this track
It's so eerie, yet beautiful. I love that arp melody in the background.
Last edited by Headphase on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
It isn't anything remotely like farewell fire. this track has more then just one layer and a completely different melody, farewell fire is a great track though.

Sherbet Head
I made a thread a while back asking what the most anticipated track was, and mine was Collapse just because it sounds powerful. (Haven't listened to the album yet, I'm waiting. :))
ImageImage

Posts Quantity
This track is growing on me. It's one of the closest things on TH (along with Telepath) to the lovely vignette tracks I enjoy so much from Geogaddi and MHTRTC. Very downbeat and chill. Contrasts nicely with the urgent and serious nature of the rest of the album.

Eagle Minded
GeogEddie wrote:This track is growing on me. It's one of the closest things on TH (along with Telepath) to the lovely vignette tracks I enjoy so much from Geogaddi and MHTRTC. Very downbeat and chill. Contrasts nicely with the urgent and serious nature of the rest of the album.

I really really like the amount of layered "blowing wind" sounds, it gives the track such a full canvas with a lot of depth.

Boqurant
I could see this in a DE: Human Revolution-esque game/movie. Michael McCann loves those arpeggiated synths...

Boqurant
i love that cop drama synth line that slowly exposes itself then dissipates beneath lead sequence.

and that wind you speak is more than that... sounds like something burning to the ground, aided by heavy winds (of change)

New Seed
The windy sounds at the beggining and the end of this tracks sounds very similar to the ones also at beggining and end of the Adult Swim video. Hmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDCLgTti7xk

Eagle Minded
armotron wrote:i love that cop drama synth line that slowly exposes itself then dissipates beneath lead sequence.

and that wind you speak is more than that... sounds like something burning to the ground, aided by heavy winds (of change)

hahahaha! I've been trying to figure out what to classify that melody as and you nailed it.

This track is a lot like M9, imo. they both have similar fashions, but still have different pitches.

Friendly Stranger
This track fits my latest description of this album perfectly:

After listening, I'm now suspicious that we actually do live in The Matrix, and somehow the AI of the future developed an iteration of extraordinary musical talent, then made a record to be nostalgic of first enslaving humanity.

That record is Tomorrow's Harvest.

Sherbet Head
This song makes my body feel weird. Like my skin gets all sensitive and tingly like the wind is blowing on me when it's not. On first listen I jotted down little notes about my first impression and this one said "um weird skin orgasm feeling". So yeah, obviously I'm a fan.

It's very atmospheric so I get really into it's zone, which makes it all the more awesome when palace posy kicks in. I'm a little sad that it won't be like that on vinyl cuz I'll have to flip the record (or change records, I can't remember).
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Friendly Stranger
Been playing around with this track, speeding it up, etc. At around 200% speed I heard a voice saying "you are the enemy". You can hear it in the normal track, from 2:05 to 2:12. And then what sounds like a distant scream. Scary stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
I just played it in reverse, and sure enough it's nearly identical to the original. They weren't kidding about the palindrome.

Posts Quantity
ryetronics wrote:I just played it in reverse, and sure enough it's nearly identical to the original. They weren't kidding about the palindrome.

Holy shit.. it sounds damn near identical. down to the little nuances. I now want to listen to the entire album completely in reverse, from 17 to 1.
There were drones..

Sherbet Head
Hitecherous wrote:
ryetronics wrote:I just played it in reverse, and sure enough it's nearly identical to the original. They weren't kidding about the palindrome.

Holy shit.. it sounds damn near identical. down to the little nuances. I now want to listen to the entire album completely in reverse, from 17 to 1.

i'm not sure where and when people turned 'palindrome' into 'playing in reverse'
not quite the same thing
*farts*

idk

Eagle Minded
There's definitely something happening at the end of the track too. Also the ending of the track doesn't correspond at all with the start of Palace Posy. Neither the ending of Gemini with RFTT. Also like I said in another thread, the last track has a ruined version of the melody from Gemini. I feel so frustrated because there's obviously so much to discover!

Dayvan Cowboy
seanandcandy wrote:
Hitecherous wrote:

i'm not sure where and when people turned 'palindrome' into 'playing in reverse'
not quite the same thing

Take the definition from Wikipedia and replace "meaning" with "sounds" and you're pretty much at a basic palindrome.

"A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of symbols or elements, whose (meaning/sounds) may be interpreted the same way in either forward or reverse direction."

Sherbet Head
ryetronics wrote:
Take the definition from Wikipedia and replace "meaning" with "sounds" and you're pretty much at a basic palindrome.

"A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of symbols or elements, whose (meaning/sounds) may be interpreted the same way in either forward or reverse direction."

okay Collapse itself is a palindrome, is the entire album? no.
*farts*

idk

Posts Quantity
seanandcandy wrote:
ryetronics wrote:

okay Collapse itself is a palindrome, is the entire album? no.

I think that's up to the listener to decide.
There were drones..

Next

Return to Boards of Canada