Old Tunes: The LAST downloads you'll ever need!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Doors_Of_Perception wrote:Thank you all so much, the music will be out there soon. There was a small problem with uploading, hence the time delay. 10AM GMT. <3!

Looks like I am setting my alarm.
P I S S

Sherbet Head
I just thought I'd check Twoism before turning in and an hour later I'm buzzing. :shock:

The samples sound great. There's detail that I never heard before and it's as good as you could ask for from cassettes.

I will be very grateful for these cleaner versions. :wink:

Eagle Minded
not to add to an already noisy thread, but thank you doors_of_perception and your pop for making this happen. samples sound amaaaazing. I will keep F5ing...

Posts Quantity
took the words right out of my mouth^^^

Happy Cycler
Alright, I'm going to be honest: I compared both "Small Samples" and "More Samples" to the version I have which is the best one from the last time someone ripped it with the higher quality versions of Sequoia, Buckie High, etc.

The sound is not far from what someone could get filtering these tracks, widening the stereo and layering them a bit. I'm not really hearing any more precise details.

King of Carnival and Staircase Whip sound a bit better, but again not outside of that sort of "remastering". BMX still has the same sort of wet sound it had before.

So, here's the deal (and someone respond to me with a link if he's done this): can you take samples of any of the following, preferably more than one:

Spectrum
Iraq Says or Nine Rubber Wisdom
North Sea Arbeit
Hiscores
Zander Two
Lick
Orange Hexagon Sun

That's enough of a selection to know that at least one of them did not sound low quality on any of the original tapes.

If you can do that and post it here, and they come out sounding much clearer like some of the stuff you've posted (that were fairly more clear in the previous rips anyways), particularly any of the ones in bold where additional details would be extremely noticeable, then I'll believe you actually had a new rip performed.

It's not that I don't believe you, because I can't possibly know. It's just your choice of samples, the whole story involved before now, previous history asserted by a person we're 99% certain is a band representative and the "early listeners" stuff...just put up the files - that's what anyone else would do. You don't need to even say anything before you have something to say/put out.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Friendly Stranger
So unbelievably excited for this. Thanks so much, Doors_of_Perception!
1969 in the sunshine...

Posts Quantity
Rodheh wrote:Alright, I'm going to be honest: I compared both "Small Samples" and "More Samples" to the version I have which is the best one from the last time someone ripped it with the higher quality versions of Sequoia, Buckie High, etc.

The sound is not far from what someone could get filtering these tracks, widening the stereo and layering them a bit. I'm not really hearing any more precise details.

King of Carnival and Staircase Whip sound a bit better, but again not outside of that sort of "remastering". BMX still has the same sort of wet sound it had before.

So, here's the deal (and someone respond to me with a link if he's done this): can you take samples of any of the following, preferably more than one:

Spectrum
Iraq Says or Nine Rubber Wisdom
North Sea Arbeit
Hiscores
Zander Two
Lick
Orange Hexagon Sun

That's enough of a selection to know that at least one of them did not sound low quality on any of the original tapes.

If you can do that and post it here, and they come out sounding much clearer like some of the stuff you've posted (that were fairly more clear in the previous rips anyways), particularly any of the ones in bold where additional details would be extremely noticeable, then I'll believe you actually had a new rip performed.

It's not that I don't believe you, because I can't possibly know. It's just your choice of samples, the whole story involved before now, previous history asserted by a person we're 99% certain is a band representative and the "early listeners" stuff...just put up the files - that's what anyone else would do. You don't need to even say anything before you have something to say/put out.

If they are legit, keep in mind that Mike and Marcus may have dubbed them wrong, and you can't have BOC if you don't have some lo-fi in there somewhere. :wink:

I know these weren't dubbed professionally like many other studios do with their cassettes, despite coming from the mystical land of Music70. I was thinking that because some of the songs sound like they were actually a legit rip and the others didn't change at all, so I popped into Audacity and did a spectral analysis.

Here is the spectral for 'SmallSamples.flac'

Looking at that 5 minute clip that we were given, I can see that many of the frequencies like to "shelf" around the 15kHz or so mark, but the frequencies extend much further than that. This is normal for many cassette rips, so we are well on our way. The one thing I am thinking that is person did to make them sound clearer is that they preformed some kind of noise removal preset on these tracks because there is an absence of "tape hiss" in the background but yet there is a slight hum from the actual deck itself. Usually cassettes spectrals that are unaltered have a prominent blue blob that envelops the entire track. It looks something like this.

Things do start to look better in the second sample release though.
Here is the spectral for 'MoreSamples.flac'

Things are awesome looking with the first track from the cassette. The frequencies are strong and vibrant and go well beyond 15kHz. There is still a small shelf that can be seen, but you wouldn't be able to hear that. The game changer is near the end however. One of the tracks has absolutely no signs of shelving anywhere present in it. I am usuing this to back up my theory from earlier in this post about how some of the songs were not dubbed properly and/or were meant to be dubbed for a lo-fi style because that's what BOC does.

Well. That's my take on it. Enjoy. :D

If anyone knows the wiser and can add onto, or filter out any mistakes I made, feel free to do so. I am still treading these spectral waters for the 4th time now and it's still a bit chilly.
P I S S

Happy Cycler
Well you can insert sounds and fuck around with just about anything to raise a shelf in a spectrograph or the overall frequencies. I could do it in a very cheap DAW right now.

Mainly, I'm just not convinced until I hear more details and that's why samples of any of those tracks are necessary. I find it a little bit odd that he put out samples of all the tracks that already sound much clearer than others on the downloads that circulate frequently now.

And though of course, many of the ones that sound as though they're of a lower quality could have been recorded that way in the first place, although BoC is not a "lo-fi" band proper and since I listed a handful, at least one is going to sound a lot better if the new tape rip is real - keeping in mind that a lot of the versions have combined files from one tape rip (that got us the good sounding Sequoia and Buckie High) and another tape rip that's noticeably lower in quality, not just in regards to how the music sounds but in regards to noise as well.

It's very cool if this is legitimate. If this isn't legitimate and it's just another "remaster" attempt to make Old Tunes sound better and it is a whole lot better than what we have circulating, that's cool too - saves other BoC fans the trouble of making one definitive version.

Mainly, I'm just taking what the OP says with a grain of salt right now and what mdg says with the entirety of the shaker. There are things in tracks like Spectrum and North Sea Arbeit that you just can't fix, and you can't put back details that might have been there originally with a lot of those tracks unless you really did a rip of a real tape that has held up very well. The proof will be audible, and if OP delivers and this ends up being true, I will have no problem believing what he says.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Friendly Stranger
Yeah I'm starting to get a liiitle suspicious - what's with all the delays uploading it when the early listeners have all of it already? Why not give us the download links you gave them?

01. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I understand the skeptics, as this is the internet. But, on good faith, and for anyone else out there reading who may be going through the same thing...There are never any words I can think of in situations like these. It upsets me any time there's a story like this, but if e-hugs were real things, I'd send one to you, your Dad, and your family.

Stay strong.

02. Thank you for going through all of the trouble to get us these older tunes in a bit higher fidelity.

I'm speaking with the rest of Twoism in that I'm assuming 99% of the people posting here have heard the tapes and 100% of users here would support an official Warp release of the project, if it ever happens. I'm also under the assumption that people who have downloaded these tapes outside of Twoism users are also pretty much diehard Boards of Canada fans and, would too, purchase an official BoC/Warp release of them, if one ever came about.

Until then, we have your files and those that ripped them beforehand. Thank you for getting the music to our ears in the best way you can. It's appreciated, even amongst the politics.

03. What the fuck. When this thread was originally made, I called bullshit and left. Now, here it is, 12 pages later, proving itself otherwise! You guys never cease to make this place interesting. :lol:
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Sherbet Head
The quality is PERFECT. Now I can enjoy my moans from A Few Old Tunes in FLAC.

Dayvan Cowboy
well, it's on rareboc.

Sherbet Head
10 AM!

Oh, it's GMT and I'm on BST.

:roll:

[EDit] Wait!

Boqurant
I've never heard them yet.

Boqurant
Hi all! Well, the rips are up. I'm sorry for the delay, and the early listenings were just due to bandwidth. Anyway, hope you all enjoy!

Just my "two cents" on the spectrogram having certain cutoffs: As previously mentioned, the remaster was a combination of both the new rip and the pre-existing to achieve the best possible quality.

The reason the best songs were ripped was because there are certain songs that would not, regardless of source or mastering, sound much better. Plus, making songs that sounded good already into better quality should've been self-evident as to why they'd be in the sampler. I wanted to keep interest. But, honestly, no rhyme or reason to what songs I picked! :lol:

Happy listening! :wink:

Boqurant
2020k wrote:01. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I understand the skeptics, as this is the internet. But, on good faith, and for anyone else out there reading who may be going through the same thing...There are never any words I can think of in situations like these. It upsets me any time there's a story like this, but if e-hugs were real things, I'd send one to you, your Dad, and your family.

Stay strong.

02. Thank you for going through all of the trouble to get us these older tunes in a bit higher fidelity.

I'm speaking with the rest of Twoism in that I'm assuming 99% of the people posting here have heard the tapes and 100% of users here would support an official Warp release of the project, if it ever happens. I'm also under the assumption that people who have downloaded these tapes outside of Twoism users are also pretty much diehard Boards of Canada fans and, would too, purchase an official BoC/Warp release of them, if one ever came about.

Until then, we have your files and those that ripped them beforehand. Thank you for getting the music to our ears in the best way you can. It's appreciated, even amongst the politics.

03. What the fuck. When this thread was originally made, I called bullshit and left. Now, here it is, 12 pages later, proving itself otherwise! You guys never cease to make this place interesting. :lol:

Thank you so much for your kindness and support! <3
Enjoy the tunes!

New Seed
Amazing! Do you happen to have a cue file to split the tracks? If not, I'll do this myself.

Boqurant
Elevory wrote:Amazing! Do you happen to have a cue file to split the tracks? If not, I'll do this myself.

No, but I would LOVE it if you'd split the tracks!

Hexagon Sun Official
Hi everyone, -this thread came to my attention because the OP was attempting to collect cash donations to an unverified PayPal account. This is what I can share: it appears that these new FLAC files were definitely the same mp3's already circulating from 2009 at one point in their life. For the new OT.1 and "35 Tape" collections being offered here, it's 100% confirmed that the original 2009 mp3's have been spruced up with various processes to make them sound like they are from original cassettes. (This is obviously inconsistent with the OP's story) And it appears almost certain that the OT.2 collection here is also a result of heavy processing of the same mp3's.
This might have resulted in a clearer batch of tunes for you all to listen to, but please don't pay money for these.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada