Old Tunes: The LAST downloads you'll ever need!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
northernlite wrote:
Doors_Of_Perception wrote:
northernlite wrote:
northernlite wrote:
Doors_Of_Perception wrote:Alan has sent me two out of the six sides so far. I will make a small compilation of them and update here. What is the best uploading service?

https://soundcloud.com

Cool! Uploading now. Now, it says I only have 120 minutes, which won't be enough for the whole tapes. When I release them, should I just use Mediafire?

Cool! Mediafire would be alright, Dropbox would be the best if you wanna try that IMO.

Soundcloud transcoded the files to hell. I'm just going to use Mediafire, but thanks for your help!

ahh damn, i think with a paid account lossless works, but sorry about that haha!

No problem, you live and learn!

Posts Quantity
wow this quality is soooo good.

Hearing the synth reverberate in Buckie High without heavy artifacting/clipping/what have you is surreal!
**If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.**

Boqurant
everythingyoudoisorange wrote:wow this quality is soooo good.

Hearing the synth reverberate in Buckie High without heavy artifacting/clipping/what have you is surreal!

I will relay my thanks to Alan! I think one of the biggest gifts coming from this is my dad listening to the tapes like they're brand new! He still doesn't know I'm having this done ! :D

Sherbet Head
everythingyoudoisorange wrote:wow this quality is soooo good.

I will relay my thanks to Alan! I think one of the biggest gifts coming from this is my dad listening to the tapes like they're brand new! He still doesn't know I'm having this done ! :D

MY GOD

The quality is INCREDIBLE :) :) :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Me: Heh. How much better could they sound? *listens* :shock:

Sherbet Head
MrMessiah wrote:Me: Heh. How much better could they sound? *listens* :shock:

basically my reaction

Boqurant
Hope you all consider donating once the masters are released!

I'm very glad you all are enjoying! :)[/img]

Sherbet Head
Doors_Of_Perception wrote:Hope you all consider donating once the masters are released!

Certainly! What's the timeline on release?

Boqurant
northernlite wrote:
Doors_Of_Perception wrote:Hope you all consider donating once the masters are released!

Well, likely tomorrow morning. Alan said he'd probably be finished by tonight, at the rate this has gone.

Boqurant
northernlite wrote:

Well, likely tomorrow morning. Alan said he'd probably be finished by tonight, at the rate this has gone.

I would like to be able to work with someone on donation/downloading, though.

Boqurant
Buckie High sounds great.

Count me in.

Sherbet Head
I have a server that could host the files, but I'd like to keep things legal, so I'm not so sure how that would work. As for donations, I'd recommend PayPal simply because it's super easy, but I do belive they take 3% or so.

EDIT: Actually maybe torrents would be the way to go... hmm

Boqurant
northernlite wrote:I have a server that could host the files, but I'd like to keep things legal, so I'm not so sure how that would work. As for donations, I'd recommend PayPal simply because it's super easy, but I do belive they take 3% or so.

EDIT: Actually maybe torrents would be the way to go... hmm

I have absolutely zero idea how to host a torrent...

Eagle Minded
Just curious, wouldn't something like this need to be approved by boards of canada first? I understand people get in binds and need cash, but maybe you guys should all back off until we know if this is approved by the brothers.

It's not anyone's music to profit off of except for boards of canada themselves in my opinion. Just a thought. Thanks.

Boqurant
shaneanthonysounds wrote:Just curious, wouldn't something like this need to be approved by boards of canada first? I understand people get in binds and need cash, but maybe you guys should all back off until we know if this is approved by the brothers.

It's not anyone's music to profit off of except for boards of canada themselves in my opinion. Just a thought. Thanks.

Understood. But, the tracks are out there. What's leaking a better version going to do? Have more people enjoy them? Probably not. It's probably going to be the same people who have wished they had a good version. It's a donation, it's not a purchase. I'm not demanding money, I'm just asking. And, all this work is inevitably going to lead to one teenage kid with a mantra of "f*ck the system" putting this up somewhere else for download.
I'd love to ask Mike and Marcus first, believe me. I just don't exactly have their phone number handy...

Dayvan Cowboy
shaneanthonysounds wrote:Just curious, wouldn't something like this need to be approved by boards of canada first? I understand people get in binds and need cash, but maybe you guys should all back off until we know if this is approved by the brothers.

They have turned a blind eye to the distribution of these tapes in the past, but of course, no money was ever involved up until now. I guess maybe this is a gray area because a donation of any amount is being kindly requested but not demanded in exchange for the download of this project.

I'm also curious what their feelings are about it in terms of spoiling a potential release of their own down the road - I don't think many people had the imagination (besides maybe Techboy!) that this music could sound this good. I really don't think we'd ever see OTV1 or OTV2 officially released in complete form anyways, so maybe it's a moot point. R35TT OTTOH...

Dayvan Cowboy
It also makes me hope that the recent Aphex Twin thing gives them an idea for releasing some of their old music the same way, charge a nominal amount per person and donate a chunk of the proceeds to a charity or cause they feel strongly for and put the rest in the Sandisons' kids college fund! Something like that might have to wait until their contract is up though...

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:

They have turned a blind eye to the distribution of these tapes in the past, but of course, no money was ever involved up until now. I guess maybe this is a gray area because a donation of any amount is being kindly requested but not demanded in exchange for the download of this project.

I'm also curious what their feelings are about it in terms of spoiling a potential release of their own down the road - I don't think many people had the imagination (besides maybe Techboy!) that this music could sound this good. I really don't think we'd ever see OTV1 or OTV2 officially released in complete form anyways, so maybe it's a moot point. R35TT OTTOH...

I guess this is what I meant by 'keeping things legal'. I don't know if profiting from the distribution of these old tunes would be 'kosher' with the band.

Boqurant
Opothecary wrote:It also makes me hope that the recent Aphex Twin thing gives them an idea for releasing some of their old music the same way, charge a nominal amount per person and donate a chunk of the proceeds to a charity or cause they feel strongly for and put the rest in the Sandisons' kids college fund! Something like that might have to wait until their contract is up though...

This makes me feel kind of bad... But, look, if they release old material for a charity or their kids, you KNOW we'd all buy copies of the back catalog.

Boqurant
I mean... Okay, what should I do in your honest opinion guys?
EDIT: Does anyone have a connection with Hexagon Sun that they can ask?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada