Hi-Scores (2014 remastered)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
North by North wrote:Don't think there's any new photos here, although I don't recall the open cd shot:

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=6d3 ... 887e98788a

is the girl in that pic the one from the SAY Awards video?

Dayvan Cowboy

EOTY :)

seriously some of the tracks is total futuristic robot assault mode!,

Generalchesty wrote:
North by North wrote:Don't think there's any new photos here, although I don't recall the open cd shot:

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=6d3 ... 887e98788a

is the girl in that pic the one from the SAY Awards video?

someone should bring the screenshots of SAY Awards

Sherbet Head

Not a match I think.

Sherbet Head
Maybe there's a hidden track on the CD. :P

Dayvan Cowboy
Looks like my copy of the vinyl just shipped.

Friendly Stranger
Just got a shipping confirmation from RedEye. I live in California. Hopefully it gets here soon!

Sherbet Head
And just received UK dispatch email here. So hopefully tomorrow or Monday.

Friendly Stranger
Got my shipped message from Bleep.

Dayvan Cowboy
Najlepsiejszy wrote:
North by North wrote:For those who pre-ordered on Skam (as I did):

Hello
Many thanks for making your order, the Vinyl and CD of the Boards of Canada – Hi Scores – 2014 Edition, is slightly delayed. Please accept our sincere apologies. It is in transit, and should arrive on Monday. Therefore distributors have asked us to delay the release date until the 20th October. We will ship your items before this date, and hope for it to arrive as soon as possible.
To respect various digital stores, we can not send digital copies until the 20th October.
Please understand this is beyond our control, and once again, you, artists, and labels suffer from the lack of vinyl pressing plants in the world today.

:(

Any other pre-order issues with other sources?

Hah lol, vinyl has never been better...lack of pressing plants? Who's gonna believe this?

there was actually an article about that. a LOT of pressing facilities had closed. with the resurgence of vinyl, the pressers have been having a hard time keeping up with demand. not that the demand is greater than it was before. they just don't have the man power to handle the current demand.

vinyl might be alive and well in your mind....but most kids today don't even know what records are.

last time i was in amoeba [INCREDIBLE record store] in both LA and SF i was shocked. what was once a MASSIVE selection of vinyl had dwindled down to one small rack of odds and ends. the vinyl section has gotten so small....its sad :(

Happy Cycler
It genuinely is a big problem, in Europe a lot of Germans and Eastern Europeans bought up the pressing machines and plates, which is why so much of the best stuff is pressed out there now. I've spoken to record store owners who say most of the American stuff is the worst, absolutely no expertise in the plants anymore, all of the engineers who were about back in the day have either retired or passed away, so consequently there is little knowledge being passed. But what IS good about this release is the fact it was delayed, that is fairly indicative that there was some quality control somewhere down the line.. the plants are backed up but if labels are patient, I think there is more chance they get a decent pressing.

That said, if you listen to anything that was pressed from the 80s and prior, the difference is clear. Most vinyl is not even cut from analogue source these days, what you're getting is a digital file pressed on to wax.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
Mine finally shipped! 7-28 days hahaha fuckin international shipping. Hope it comes with a sticker!
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Sherbet Head
Dispatched, come on Blerp

Too bad they still haven't replied to the birthday wishes I've sent to one of the PR guys 5 days ago

Sherbet Head
fujee wrote:That said, if you listen to anything that was pressed from the 80s and prior, the difference is clear. Most vinyl is not even cut from analogue source these days, what you're getting is a digital file pressed on to wax.

Dayvan Cowboy
Inspired by the Pitchfork review to listen to Nlogax at 45. Loads of fun!
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Posts Quantity
Any higher res pictures of the album art/poster?

Eagle Minded
fujee wrote:It genuinely is a big problem, in Europe a lot of Germans and Eastern Europeans bought up the pressing machines and plates, which is why so much of the best stuff is pressed out there now. I've spoken to record store owners who say most of the American stuff is the worst, absolutely no expertise in the plants anymore, all of the engineers who were about back in the day have either retired or passed away, so consequently there is little knowledge being passed. But what IS good about this release is the fact it was delayed, that is fairly indicative that there was some quality control somewhere down the line.. the plants are backed up but if labels are patient, I think there is more chance they get a decent pressing.

That said, if you listen to anything that was pressed from the 80s and prior, the difference is clear. Most vinyl is not even cut from analogue source these days, what you're getting is a digital file pressed on to wax.

are you not still benefiting from analogue system though? the process of the vibrations moving from the record through the needle?

Boqurant
d e n wrote:are you not still benefiting from analogue system though? the process of the vibrations moving from the record through the needle?

I don't know all the technical differences, but you'd think the sound would be better because it is a continuous signal instead of a discrete waveform. Even if it is being pressed from a digital file, I think you still get the physical advantage of the continuous groove

Happy Cycler
Well, in some ways yes.. as has been mentioned above, you are still getting the analogue movement of the needle in the groove, hence the waveform. But the master file used for the plates has come from a digital source, so the waveform itself is dictated by the digital processing that has been used before that; the celebrated warmth and pure analogue mastering is lacking. Essentially, what you are getting is at best a high quality digital file pressed on to an imperfect medium. A digital file which is being degraded each time you use it, which makes the case for owning Vinyl completely superfluous.

There is hope though, some pressings like the new MBV album (pure analogue from mixing to mastering) and Spaces by Nils Frahm (all of erased tapes in fact) have been absolutely brilliant. Basically, you know which artists care about the fans from the care which is now taken in regards to record pressing.

Also, NEVER buy records from Amazon. I have had so many warped records sent back to Amazon, obviously storing them incorrectly.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Eagle Minded
Just received my vinyl from Redeye. It doesn't include a CD as stated on their website, and there's not even a download code included with it. Given that I won't be able to hear the actual vinyl before I get back to France in 2 months, this is pretty MEH.

Posts Quantity
^ Same, this is bullshit unless there's another delivery coming.

I don't even have a record player and planned to sell on or give away the vinyl - only wanted the CD and the poster...

Edit: I've emailed them, I'll post any response I get.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada