Yet Another Random 35 Track Tape Thread

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
The Random 35 Tracks Tape - By far Boards' most mysterious "release" and by sheer coincidence the second one that I ended up finding after Music has The Right To Children. Many claim that it consists of a bunch of cut-down tracks from the elusive pre-Twoism albums, though knowing BoC it could really be anything (the cassette seems to be dated 1995, but they've said there's a mountain of unreleased material for every album they've done). I've done a considerable amount of both thinking about it and completely baseless speculation, and here's what I've got:

SIDE A:
Spoiler: show
-A01: Mellow, somewhat uneventful ambient electronica that matches the description of Catalog 3 given by Piero Scaruffi, though it could also fit right in on Acid Memories or Closes Vol. 1 (which have been described as "even less imposing"). It's significantly shorter than anything on Catalog 3 or Acid Memories, though, so if either of those are the source it's been truncated. Probably a leftover from a session back in those days, though if I had to place it as being on any of the 5 pre-Twoism albums I'd guess either one of the "Drone" tracks from Catalog or one of Closes' extended tracks such as "Fonec" or "Trillions".

-A02: "She is P" from A Few Old Tunes.

-A04: A strange little ditty that sounds like it was recorded on the spot while other people were having a conversation in the same room. It has a very abrupt ending, like maybe there's more conversation after this version ends. Matches up time-wise with "Close1" from Closes Vol. 1, which in turn has lead to much speculation that they are one and the same. Personally, I think this could also possibly be Remmy Kid from Play By Numbers (times don't match exactly, but this may be the case for multiple tracks as I will explain later). It also matches the "Guitars meet Electronics" and "Embryonic" descriptions tagged to Acid Memories by Richard Southern, but seems too short to be from there.

-A05: "Finity" from A Few Old Tunes.

-A06: Now here's an interesting one. Out of all the speculation of R35TT tracks being from the five pre-Twoism albums, this is by far the most likely. It matches up time-wise with "5D" from Closes Vol. 1 (the MP3 length is only 4:57 but the remaining time is absorbed by a fade into the next song). From what I can hear it seems like a previous measure just repeats itself at the end, so reconstructing "5D" should be pretty easy for an individual who knows what they're doing. This also was one of the many Achilles' heels of a fake Closes that I came across at one point, since they had the 4:57 R35TT version. However, the most convincing bit of evidence comes in the form of an upload of this one as "5D" on Youtube that the band themselves have in their official video playlist. This didn't happen for any other upload claiming to be from the 5 mystery albums. The track also shares samples with "Dave (I'm A Real Traditionalist)" (the "Chicken Fingers" lady) and Seven Forty Seven (the choral sample used throughout the song), giving the impression that this track is some sort of strange transitional fossil, which may be the case for other songs from the 5 mystery albums.

-A07: Noisy, fuzzy, shoegaze-y track reminiscent of the Play By Numbers sound. Features loud, distorted guitars. Sounds like nothing that BoC ever released officially, being closest to the sample of "Wouldn't You Like To Be Free?". If I had to take a guess, I'd mark this one as being a cut down "Echelon", but no hard evidence exists to support this theory.

-A08: I've seen all kinds of speculation surrounding this one. It shares a percussion loop with June 9th (except faster) and for some reason (a completely erroneous one, from what I can tell) people like to label it as "Infinite Lines Of Colourful Sevens" from Play By Numbers. If this is the case (which I doubt), it's definitely been cut down by nearly 3 minutes. At one point I slowed the track down from 151.7 bpm to 123 bpm to match the June 9th tempo, but it was still about 30 seconds short of matching "Infinite Lines" time-wise (and sounded like arse, though that may be my fault). Times vaguely match up with "Echo The Sun" from Acid Memories, which seems like a somewhat more reasonable (though just as likely to be incorrect) guess.

-A09: Very pretty, sweeping electronic track. Matches "Godever" from Closes on a time level, and doesn't sound like it had the end truncated (though the long fade at the beginning could indicate that there was more before the R35TT version starts). If this is the case, I could also reasonably accept this as a cut down version of any Acid Memories track that isn't "Duffy" (we have a sample from this one that doesn't match any R35TT tracks), possibly "Stry Craty Bya". The lack of the guitars that were said to be present on Acid Memories may indicate otherwise, possibly a truncated version of one of Closes' longer compositions such as "Found The Way".

-A10: Another track with guitars on, but this time much more on the mellow side. Reminiscent of an embryonic The Campfire Headphase track. My best guess for this one is a partial "Petina" from Acid Memories, though like A09 it could be any other Acid Memories track, or possibly an outtake from the Play By Numbers sessions. Then again, most of what I've speculated thus far is just plausible enough to *possibly* be true, though when and if the 5 mystery albums do get released I won't be surprised if I was wrong about a lot of these and they just turn out to be figurative table scraps.

-A11: "Blueberry", the short musical vignette from the end of "Sixtyten" and "Twoism" (the song, not the album).

-A12: I want to call this one part of "Geiser" or "Point Hope" from Hooper Bay, but have my doubts for a couple of reasons. It's a somewhat more complex composition than most of the R35TT, sounding closest to a Twoism outtake, but it lacks a feature that was said to have been introduced on Hooper Bay, that being the sampled kids' voices. Maybe there's one in a truncated part of the song, or maybe this isn't from Hooper Bay at all, since if my suspicions are correct so far the only kid's voice that *might* be on Hooper Bay is the "Louder!" at around 30 seconds in from This unknown track from the ATP set which may or may not be Noatak. Or maybe I'm just going insane and drawing connections that aren't there.

-A14: Another possible "Godever" from Closes (indeed, it was distributed as such before the rest of the R35TT leaked), though this one doesn't have a definite end like A09 and instead just fades out, leaving the impression that there may be more hidden after this version ends. Could also be one of Catalog 3's shorter songs ("Stowed Under", "Press") or one of Closes' longer songs ("Trillions", "Eye/Ear"), or could just be a scrap.

-A15: "I Will Get It Tattooed" from A Few Old Tunes. I quite like how it was included here, since it can be looped without hearing the end of "Blockbusters" and the beginning of "The Way You Show" (WIGGY DIGGY DOO) repeatedly. I have done this many, many times. :P

SIDE B:
-B01: The synths on this track sound vaguely similar to those on A06/maybe-5D, and the time matches up perfectly with "Focus On The Spiral" from Closes. This one actually kind of makes sense, does it not? It's also my completely subjective opinion that this song just sounds like it goes with the title "Focus On The Spiral".

-B03: "The House Of Abin'Adab" from A Few Old Tunes. The length of this track also matches up with Close2 from Closes (obv.), though that may or may not be a mere coincidence.

-B04: The second most likely candidate for a pre-Twoism release, right behind A06. This is a strummy, shoegaze-y song that sounds just like a Play By Numbers track. Specifically, many people (including myself) have speculated that this is actually "Numerator". Others have compared this one to an extremely early "Dayvan Cowboy", right down to having some of the same chords. A (most likely fake) track entitled "Numerator" sprung up on Youtube a while back which was just this but with an out of key synth line on top of it. Still, this is one of the tracks I'd be the least surprised to find out was actually what everyone thought it was. The only other catch is that this is about 10 seconds off time-wise, though that may be explained by the fade-out at the end being cut off by the beginning of B05. This still begs the question of whether the "Original Numerator" from Closes was an early/extended cut of the Play By Numbers song or a completely unrelated composition that happens to share its title.

-B05: Features a sample from Donkey Kong, which would be helpful in pinpointing the date if Boards supposedly released anything before it. Unfortunately, it isn't particularly helpful in trying to connect all the unknown tracks to the 5 mystery albums. The drums sound like they were recorded live rather than produced with a machine or samples, giving the impression that this may be an Acid Memories or Catalog 3 track (They supposedly had six members back then, you see, and it's been rumored that one of them was a drummer). I think it may be closer to Acid Memories, but as with all my previous AM speculation it could really be anything besides "Duffy". For no particular reason, I'm going to guess "Helter Skater". Then again, as with all previous R35TT speculation period it could be something else entirely.

-B06: An extremely short snippet of some droning (vocal?) samples. I've seen this one passed off as "Helios Sound", though by that logic it could also be "Ithcus Sound". That fade out at the end also means that a full version could be much longer, possibly one of Catalog 3's more uneventful tracks (such as "Breach Tones" or "Line Two").

-B07: One of my favorites out of all the R35TT tracks. It reminds me of some of the more lush, watery cave environments in Pikmin 2. The compositions here also seem a bit more complex than most of what's going on on the rest of the R35TT, bringing this one closer to the Twoism era. My best shot for this one would be part of "Seward Leaf" from Hooper Bay, though the absence of any sampled kids' voices makes it hard to pin on Hooper Bay for sure..

-B08: A short, spooky track that evokes the imagery of the creepy baby with "3"s in its eyes from the Play By Numbers cover at least for me. It's the same length as "Remmy Kid" from said album, and is a somewhat more likely candidate than A04 as far as being Remmy Kid goes. This may also represent the more electronic side of PBN that Richard Southern described along with "Infinite Lines of Colourful Sevens".

-B10: A reversed version of "The Smallest Weird Number" from Geogaddi. This is the R35TT track that made it farthest into the future as far as Boards' releases go, which indicates one of two things. Either this tape was released significantly later than the projected 1995 (which means that this tape could be full of MHTRTC and Geogaddi outtakes) or "The Smallest Weird Number" really was just that old. After all, an iteration of "Kid For Today" appeared as early as BoC Maxima.

-B12: Another mellow, droning track a la A01, but this time with a percussion beat added in the background. I speculate that this may be another one of the "Drone" tracks from Catalog 3 ("Line Two", "Drone 18", "Drone 2", "Visual Drone 12")

-B13: "Davie Addison" from A Few Old Tunes. This version is 4 seconds shorter than the AFOT version, which means there may be some leeway when matching times between the R35TT and other releases.

-B14: This one features electronic compositions, someone strumming an acoustic guitar, and possibly someone drumming live. It also has a definite end, but is started off during a crossfade with "Davie Addison" indicating that the beginning could have been cut. Sounds extremely close to how "Acid Memories" was described, indicating that if this is actually from said EP it could be pretty much anything besides "Duffy". I like to think of it as "Growing Hand" for no particular reason.

-B16: It's another one with a considerable amount of previous speculation already attached to it, this time because its running time matches up almost perfectly with Catalog 3's "Powerline". That's the only bit of possible evidence to go on here, since there was never any real description for what the songs on Catalog 3 that weren't ("lengthy tracks of rather uneventful ambient electronica"). As such, the previous tracks that I speculated may be from Catalog 3 were chosen on the grounds that "They sound a bit like maybe-Powerline".

-B18: "It's Too Orangey", the musical vignette at the end of "Basefree" from Twoism

-B20: This strange collection of tracks ends with a cheerful little electronic ditty, dominated by a repeating bouncy sample in both ears with a quiet, synthesized line in the left one. This one is sometimes passed around as "Close3" from Closes on the grounds that they're both roughly 27 seconds long. This begs the question of whether or not the 4 "Close#" tracks actually had anything in common besides being short transitional pieces (and possibly not even that). Still, it's a nice finisher for the tape.

Well, there's my 2 cents (though it was really more like a roll of pennies) on this whole matter. I was originally going to write something for every track, but then got pretty burnt out from talking about the ones I did and decided against it. What do you guys think? Could any of this be correct or am I just a raving lunatic?
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
Thanks for your thoughts, it's my favorite unreleased release to talk about. Really unintentionally brings the whole BoC aesthetic together, top notch material, no titles and nothing but the sounds to discuss. Always had B10 pegged as Remmy Kid, between track lengths and the number connection (Smallest Weird Number on Geogaddi and Remmy (remedial) Kid) it seemed like there was some kind of connection there.

Do you happen to have the version of Godever that was floating around years ago on Audiogalaxy/Napster that ended up being A14 later on? I really regret not holding onto it, and a lot of people are skeptical about this tape even though mdg validated it and this to me, was always the link that proved its validity.

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:Always had B10 pegged as Remmy Kid, between track lengths and the number connection (Smallest Weird Number on Geogaddi and Remmy (remedial) Kid) it seemed like there was some kind of connection there.

Ooh, nice catch! I always thought of Remmy as a name, never really saw it that way. Now that you've pointed it out, it makes more sense. Which brings the number of possible Remmy Kids on the R35TT to 3.

Opothecary wrote:Do you happen to have the version of Godever that was floating around years ago on Audiogalaxy/Napster that ended up being A14 later on? I really regret not holding onto it, and a lot of people are skeptical about this tape even though mdg validated it and this to me, was always the link that proved its validity.

Unfortunately no.
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Friendly Stranger
Jango9 wrote:the cassette seems to be dated 1995

No one has seen a copy of the tape R35TT was ripped from*. The "1995(?)" thing you see mentioned a lot in connection to R35TT is very likely just a relic of the days when it was thought to be "A Few Old Tunes", and therefore to have presumably come before OTv1, in 1996.

One of the most interesting things about R35TT, at least to me, is that not only do we not know when the material was recorded, we also don't know when the compilation was made. No other BOC release has that double helping of uncertainty. Even the earliest leaks of the tape seem to be made by people who weren't sure what the tape even was (hence tags like "random 35 tracks tape (rarities and the best of - not old tunes v1 or v2)" and "A Few Older Tunes Disc 1/Disc 2").

* - Well, I remember reading that Joyrex claimed to have R35TT on tape, but he also told people that R35TT was AFOT, and that AFOT was separate to OTv1, so I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Jango9 wrote:matches the description of Catalog 3 given by Piero Scaruffi

Eh. I subscribe to the "lying through his teeth" theory of Piero Scaruffi's pre-twoism album reviews tbh.

Jango9 wrote:-A04: A strange little ditty that sounds like it was recorded on the spot while other people were having a conversation in the same room. It has a very abrupt ending, like maybe there's more conversation after this version ends.

I always assumed this was just a sample from an old TV show or something. The guitars in the track really don't sound anything like the other guitar tracks on R35TT.

Jango9 wrote:The track also shares samples with "Dave (I'm A Real Traditionalist)" (the "Chicken Fingers" lady)

Thanks for mentioning that. I never noticed before.

Jango9 wrote:B01: The synths on this track sound vaguely similar to those on A06/maybe-5D, and the time matches up perfectly with "Focus On The Spiral" from Closes. This one actually kind of makes sense, does it not? It's also my completely subjective opinion that this song just sounds like it goes with the title "Focus On The Spiral".

I hate to bring more unconfirmed speculation into this, but have you heard the other track which is purportedly Focus On The Spiral? The one that starts with a beat and ends with a reverb-heavy synth melody, and which is grouped with purported copies of Helios Sound and Close3. There is certainly evidence against it, but I generally lean a bit more towards seeing these three tracks as genuine, partly because the style just sounds plausible to me, and partly because BOC made an official reference to the sample on this Close3 at some point (but I can't remember when/where)... although it is just a movie sample, so it's not beyond belief that they would refer to it anyway.

Jango9 wrote:B04: The second most likely candidate for a pre-Twoism release, right behind A06. This is a strummy, shoegaze-y song that sounds just like a Play By Numbers track.

Eh. I don't really buy the conclusion a lot of people have drawn that the acoustic tracks on R35TT are likely to be from Play By Numbers. From "shoegaze" to "acoustic campfire strumming" is just slightly too much of a stretch for me.

Jango9 wrote:A (most likely fake) track entitled "Numerator" sprung up on Youtube

It's not even "most likely", it's a confirmed fake.

Jango9 wrote:This still begs the question of whether the "Original Numerator" from Closes was an early/extended cut of the Play By Numbers song or a completely unrelated composition that happens to share its title.

Following the example of Nlogax, I would -- tentatively -- guess that "original" in the title means it's a different song that had the same title before they decided to reuse it.

Jango9 wrote:They supposedly had six members back then, you see, and it's been rumored that one of them was a drummer

The few things we've been told about the number of members they've had in the past are wildly contradictory, so I think it's best just to ignore them, really.

Jango9 wrote:-B06: An extremely short snippet of some droning (vocal?) samples

Nah, it's just a synth with portamento.

Jango9 wrote:Either this tape was released significantly later than the projected 1995

?????

Does anyone really think this tape was released? BOC didn't even compile these tracks according to MDG. It's just a collection someone else who had access to the music made.

Jango9 wrote:which means that this tape could be full of MHTRTC and Geogaddi outtakes

Since R35TT was leaked in 2004 and it contains a track [TSWN] that was (most likely) written between 1998 and 2002, that should be our best guess for when the tracks were compiled. I think it's a pretty big stretch to say (as a lot of people have) that TSWN must be really old because of its inclusion on R35TT -- it's far more likely that R35TT was just compiled around the time of Geogaddi (IE, 2001-2003) and contains some material (quite possibly just TSWN) that was produced during the making of that album.

Jango9 wrote:It's another one with a considerable amount of previous speculation already attached to it, this time because its running time matches up almost perfectly with Catalog 3's "Powerline".

I wouldn't be surprised if Powerline was just Powerline Misfortune. PM on OTv2 could easily go out for another ~1 minute if it didn't fade out where it does, and it's a simple enough song to sound fairly plausible to me as very early BOC. On the other hand, the synths do sound quite reminiscent of Twoism, so maybe it was just a partially reused title...

Jango9 wrote:As such, the previous tracks that I speculated may be from Catalog 3 were chosen on the grounds that "They sound a bit like maybe-Powerline".

Hmm.

Opothecary wrote:Always had B10 pegged as Remmy Kid, between track lengths and the number connection (Smallest Weird Number on Geogaddi and Remmy (remedial) Kid)

There's no number connection. You can have remedial studies in any subject.

Sherbet Head
Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:Eh. I subscribe to the "lying through his teeth" theory of Piero Scaruffi's pre-twoism album reviews tbh.

I looked into it a bit more and yeah, that seems to be the case. If you look in the wayback machine, around 2001 he only had a fairly dismissive review of MHTRTC, and then all of a sudden he has the 5 pre-Twoism albums a year later. You'd think he'd at least mention a fairly important detail like the shoegaze influences on PBN if he actually had it, and that's just one of quite a few holes in his article. I e-mailed Piero on the matter, it'll be interesting to see his response.

Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:I hate to bring more unconfirmed speculation into this, but have you heard the other track which is purportedly Focus On The Spiral? The one that starts with a beat and ends with a reverb-heavy synth melody, and which is grouped with purported copies of Helios Sound and Close3. There is certainly evidence against it, but I generally lean a bit more towards seeing these three tracks as genuine, partly because the style just sounds plausible to me, and partly because BOC made an official reference to the sample on this Close3 at some point (but I can't remember when/where)... although it is just a movie sample, so it's not beyond belief that they would refer to it anyway.

No, I haven't. Have you got a link to this anywhere?

Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:Eh. I don't really buy the conclusion a lot of people have drawn that the acoustic tracks on R35TT are likely to be from Play By Numbers. From "shoegaze" to "acoustic campfire strumming" is just slightly too much of a stretch for me.

The only acoustic R35TT track I've seen that people have stated is likely from Play By Numbers is B04, and that also has to do with the times vaguely matching up on it. Judging by "Wouldn't You Like To Be Free", they never really went full My Bloody Valentine (I just listened to the entirety of "Loveless" for comparison's sake). There's also the common trait of distorted drums between "Wouldn't You...?", A07 and B04, but now I might be stretching it a bit since they also appear on a bunch of released tracks such as "Gyroscope".

Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:The few things we've been told about the number of members they've had in the past are wildly contradictory, so I think it's best just to ignore them, really.

Have you got any of these besides Richard Southern's Jockey Slut article? I believe you, but I'd still like to see them.

Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:Does anyone really think this tape was released? BOC didn't even compile these tracks according to MDG. It's just a collection someone else who had access to the music made.

I meant "leaked", sloppy wording on my part.

Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:Since R35TT was leaked in 2004 and it contains a track [TSWN] that was (most likely) written between 1998 and 2002, that should be our best guess for when the tracks were compiled. I think it's a pretty big stretch to say (as a lot of people have) that TSWN must be really old because of its inclusion on R35TT -- it's far more likely that R35TT was just compiled around the time of Geogaddi (IE, 2001-2003) and contains some material (quite possibly just TSWN) that was produced during the making of that album.

The assumption that this tape is full of pre-Twoism album tracks is largely influenced by A06/probably-5D and some straight up AFOT tracks' presence. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if most of these turn out to be something else entirely.

Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Powerline was just Powerline Misfortune. PM on OTv2 could easily go out for another ~1 minute if it didn't fade out where it does, and it's a simple enough song to sound fairly plausible to me as very early BOC. On the other hand, the synths do sound quite reminiscent of Twoism, so maybe it was just a partially reused title...

Seems plausible enough. Does this mean some other Old Tunes tracks could possibly be retitled pre-Twoism album tracks? :?

Dayvan Cowboy
Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:One of the most interesting things about R35TT, at least to me, is that not only do we not know when the material was recorded, we also don't know when the compilation was made. No other BOC release has that double helping of uncertainty. Even the earliest leaks of the tape seem to be made by people who weren't sure what the tape even was (hence tags like "random 35 tracks tape (rarities and the best of - not old tunes v1 or v2)" and "A Few Older Tunes Disc 1/Disc 2")

Great 2nd post in 2 years. :) Its been discussed a lot, but I personally think that R35TT is a completely unsanctioned compromise compilation made by someone close to the band with the best bits of all their pre-Twoism releases, including some stuff from the OT tapes, and maybe even some material completely unrelated to that. Its well accomplished on a few fronts - its a mystery, which their back catalog and overall mystique has thrived on since the beginning, and it also keeps the material on it anonymous so it doesn't break the trust of the Sandisons, or somehow devalue the handful of copies of each of those releases that are out there among friends and family. No one knows what it is specifically, but its great material in general and a cut above what's found on most of the OT cassettes, imo.

Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:
Opothecary wrote:Always had B10 pegged as Remmy Kid, between track lengths and the number connection (Smallest Weird Number on Geogaddi and Remmy (remedial) Kid)

There's no number connection. You can have remedial studies in any subject.

That's true, but it's the leading track on a release called "Play By Numbers" with a baby on the cover that has numbers in its eyes. Those things make it easier to put the two concepts together, especially with the track length. I think like a lot of their material, TSWN was sitting around in the archives or on an older release before it showed up reversed on Geogaddi.

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:That's true, but it's the leading track on a release called "Play By Numbers" with a baby on the cover that has numbers in its eyes. Those things make it easier to put the two concepts together, especially with the track length.

When put like that, the other titles start to make more sense in context as well. "Numerator" has obvious mathematical connotations with fractions generally being one of the "tougher" subjects that young children begin to learn. If Numerator is actually B04, the song conjures up an image of the despair that a "Remmy Kid" might go through while trying to comprehend them. "Infinite Lines of Colourful Sevens" has an obvious connection to numbers just by name, but it may also contrast the monochrome threes in the baby's eyes, referring to those who he thinks may be of greater worth than him. They are the upper "Echelon", as it were, while the Remmy Kid looks up from below them. "Wouldn't You Like To Be Free?" refers to the desire to be free from either the remedial class (speaking figuratively) or from the figurative cage he feels trapped inside (speaking theoretically). Even the album title, Play By Numbers could be a reference to how this kid's story started, choosing play over numbers or something like that.
Or maybe I'm just losing it again. What do you think?

Boqurant
Unless the compiler of R35TT cut out 2/3+ minute chunks of Acid Memories, A07 and A10 always seemed like they should be Growing Hand and Petina. I want to say A07 is Growing Hand though because 'Growing' would be a fitting description for the development of the track. Don't know though, speculation of course :)

I think it's true that Old Tunes tracks could have also been re-named, as well as 'The Smallest Weird Number' (providing R35TT wasn't made leading up to Geogaddi's release).

Possibly another thing - B01 as well as A01 vaguely fit the timing for Focus on the Spiral.

Boqurant
have you guys noticed solarium and B01 are similair?
seeya

Sherbet Head
orion wrote:have you guys noticed solarium and B01 are similair?

Yeah, I think they're using the same synthesizer for both of them.

Also, thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised if this tape originally had only 33 tracks but whoever leaked it added the twoism vignettes to make it a more round number.

Posts Quantity
Jango9 wrote:Yeah, I think they're using the same synthesizer for both of them.

Also, thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised if this tape originally had only 33 tracks but whoever leaked it added the twoism vignettes to make it a more round number.

Yup, same thoughts from me. I also think that B06, B20 and at a stretch B08 could be vignettes that were made into separate tracks, because then the tape would have 30 tracks, the same number of tracks as in AFOT (this is probably meaningless).

Sherbet Head
I still never really found out where people get idea that A08 is Infinite Lines Of Colourful Sevens. I've seen quite a bit of wild mass guessing about the R35TT, and that's the one that I just can't wrap my head around in any way, shape, or form.

Boqurant
Jango9 wrote:
Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:I hate to bring more unconfirmed speculation into this, but have you heard the other track which is purportedly Focus On The Spiral? The one that starts with a beat and ends with a reverb-heavy synth melody, and which is grouped with purported copies of Helios Sound and Close3. There is certainly evidence against it, but I generally lean a bit more towards seeing these three tracks as genuine, partly because the style just sounds plausible to me, and partly because BOC made an official reference to the sample on this Close3 at some point (but I can't remember when/where)... although it is just a movie sample, so it's not beyond belief that they would refer to it anyway.
No, I haven't. Have you got a link to this anywhere?
I believe this is what he's talking about ?
https://soundcloud.com/transmisiones-rodox

Eagle Minded
Jango9 wrote:I still never really found out where people get idea that A08 is Infinite Lines Of Colourful Sevens. I've seen quite a bit of wild mass guessing about the R35TT, and that's the one that I just can't wrap my head around in any way, shape, or form.

I believe there was a description somewhere that described the longest track on Play By Numbers quite similarly to A08. Can't remember where it is though.

Boqurant
Not so much related to song titles, but I've just noticed B09's drum track sound very much like Wouldn't You Like To Be Free. Although B09 revolves around F, Ab, and Bb and WYLTBF revolves around A and F, they sound like they fit quite well together. I can imagine B09's triadic melody line fitting with WYLTBF like it were some alternate version - am I the only one who thinks this ?

The connection is too loose, but it makes you wonder...

Boqurant
Sorry to post again! It seems I can't edit my post. I sloppily beat-matched B09 and WYLTBF together, also raising B09 by 4 semitones (from Fmaj to Amaj), and, er...?

https://soundcloud.com/shizuka-rizumu/b ... e-free-b09

Sherbet Head
Shizuka Rizumu wrote:Sorry to post again! It seems I can't edit my post. I sloppily beat-matched B09 and WYLTBF together, also raising B09 by 4 semitones (from Fmaj to Amaj), and, er...?

https://soundcloud.com/shizuka-rizumu/b ... e-free-b09

i don't even care if you're wrong, this is awesome.

Friendly Stranger
Semi-related, Wouldn't You Like To Be Free sped-up is pretty much breakbeat hardcore.

http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/838SxnPU/file.html

Posts Quantity
Cool sounds there on both of those, nice!

I think more than one of those tracks aren't on any of the known unreleased albums. And if that's right, where else could they have come from except 'deeper' in their library? And if that's right, it says a lot to me about whoever leaked them.

Posts Quantity
7113(18|3) wrote:Semi-related, Wouldn't You Like To Be Free sped-up is pretty much breakbeat hardcore.

http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/838SxnPU/file.html

haha this just sounds like lemonjelly now

Next

Return to Boards of Canada