Switch to full style
Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.
Post a reply

Four Tet Sample In Gyroscope

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:40 am

I noticed a while ago a reversed lute in Gyroscope towards the end of the track and thought nothing of it. At the same time one of my favorite alltime songs was 'Chiron' by four tet which also features a lute at the beginning of the track. Slowed down gyroscope and reversed and what do you get...

Four tet:
https://youtu.be/9I_wgjfnkpg

Boc (reversed excerpt -3):
https://youtu.be/wZe7XP5BF9o

Re: Four Tet Sample In Gyroscope

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:06 am

Probably better to listen to the boards link first. I am curious to know if this is actually a legit sample or just uncanny.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Well, that sure sounds like it... :shock:

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Great job!

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:33 pm

BTW- had 3 or so Four Tet albums, but not Dialogue- a few tracks in right now and loving it. Cool to hear his earlier style/combos. Great stuff.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:49 pm

No, they might sound similar but BOC didn't sample anyone for that track.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Uncanny.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Perhaps it's uncanny. :)

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:34 pm

You were close though, OP!

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:47 pm

Like a silver bullet!

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:37 pm

Holy shit a wild mdg!

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:59 pm

Very good indeed.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:27 pm

mdg wrote:No, they might sound similar but BOC didn't sample anyone for that track.

Not that I don't believe you, Mr. Garrett (if that is your real name :} ), but weren't you also the one that said BoC hadn't sampled Aquarius for Version 2 (the album version, I assume) or Version 3 of their song of the same name? That they recreated the instrumentation heard in original version entirely from scratch and that this goes for almost everything that they sample from an existing song?

Just curious. This isn't uncanny, it seems preternatural unless I'm suffering auditory hallucinations. Makes it seem like both artists took the sound from something that existed before either track was made or BoC really are the gods of sound recreation.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:27 am

Geogaddi is a beautiful album as is dialogue. I trust mdg to say it as it is in terms boards' process of making music. The likeness is beyond uncanny but i go along with what they say about recreating as opposed to sampling. They seem like people who would be strict with themselves in terms of the purity of a piece of music. There is still no shame in sampling, though.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:47 pm

mdg wrote:No, they might sound similar but BOC didn't sample anyone for that track.

So instead of using the word sample, perhaps "covered Four Tet" would be more appropriate...

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:36 pm

You know so much about the production of BoC tracks. Can you enlighten us on the sample used for "The Devil in The Details"?
Post a reply