It would be nice is BOC took one from the page of AT

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Opothecary wrote:They don't really owe anyone anything, of course...but that goes against how most artists present themselves in the 21st century. In an era where everyone is on Twitter and every last bit of ephemera is out there in the open, I'm sure their approach makes no sense to some, maybe especially younger listeners, because this is the sort of environment that they have always existed in. Even RDJ has caved, so its hard to be mad at people with an entitlement mentality because its possible those people have never known differently, but that's another story.

I'm of two minds about it, it keeps them and what they do special, and I feel someone well loved like BoC should keep the torch of quality control and "mystery" lit (I don't know how else to describe it) - but its important to know that people in life can still choose to not be open books. As someone else mentioned, the value and concept of curation has been lost on some listeners. I used to love the whole process of getting a new album home from the shop, checking out the art or lyrics while listening, and then if I really loved it, maybe tracking down the import singles later on to check out the outtakes...the romance of that whole process is all a dead art now, more or less. Vinyl's resurgence carries the tradition somewhat, but its the niche approach rather than the zeitgeist which is too bad. Not enough value is placed on the content and how it's presented.

But man, I'd really just love to know the song titles for R35TT!

Bravo. Could not agree more. Excellent post.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:I could ask you the same question.

You would be in no position to, considering how much more you've posted here than I have.

Dayvan Cowboy
drillkicker wrote:

You would be in no position to, considering how much more you've posted here than I have.

Eagle Minded
what O is saying is clearly shared feeling

think of it as a fast... fasting can be a tool for healing and growing––a oft used practice in religions to get closer to god.

there is already so much Boards of Canada to listen to

Sherbet Head
And even more Nurse With Wound to listen to, so nobody has a right to ever be unhappy.

drillkicker wrote:

Such a forthright young man. Thanks for stopping by.

Slow down...

Boqurant
I think it's up to the brothers if they want to relese the tapes. If they don't feel comfortable with that, then it's fine with me. At the end of the day, it would be nice to see them relesed, but for now, I'll wait.

Happy Cycler
I might be alone (or possibly not) but I don't want BoC to do anything of this sort. This is one of the reasons I feel there's so much value in their work. They don't have an over-saturation of material released.

It'd not only be that it'd probably be "too much BoC to handle", it'd become less than that. It'd become vague. Obviously not every track they pull from the archive and throw up online is going to be a masterpiece. Would I like to see them post some songs they feel are good and have that whole "yeah, this really can't go on anything except a compilation or a single" thing to them? Yes, of course. Them just dumping material on Soundcloud would be really kind of lame.

Even if they're handpicking tracks they want to be heard, if there's enough of them then they should be sorted and put alongside others where they would work best. You know, an album or something like that. Whether it's distributed traditionally or BoC takes to Bandcamp is of no difference in that regard, but Soundcloud is little more than a workspace to me, for things in progress and to show people something every now and then. It's not particularly efficient for cultivating a record.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Eagle Minded
a couple of points worth maybe making:

"Unreleased"? We aren't necessarily talking about unreleased material (though no doubt there is a ton of that). Hooper Bay, Closes, Acid Dreams, Catalog 3, Play By Numbers... these were released. We refer to them as "friends and family" releases in the lore, but that isn't because they were precious gifts for only certain special ears, but simply that BoC were an unknown act with next to no fans. An edition of 100 CDs for Music70 was probably enough of a stretch at the wallet. I bet many of those CDs and tapes ended up in the waste bins of record company mail rooms.

If we want to hear these recordings, we should be out hunting them down, not waiting for a reissue. They exist (presumably), they were released. We ought to relish in the treasure hunt!

The Old Tunes tapes were likely smaller or similarly small editions with similarly thin distribution. Because Warp et al fought to keep someone from making bank off this stuff on eBay back in the day, the orthodox lore has come to believe that the brothers are vehemently against this stuff ever being heard. While it's perhaps not stuff they are proud of, or want to revisit, or want to do a publicity tour for, or spend half a year remastering - they did record the stuff and release it to the few willing ears they could find once upon a time. I don't think us listening to and enjoying these recordings is any sort of insult, sacrilege, or apostasy from the Sandison Cult.

Mike & Marcus, if you happen to be reading this (well then god help you, but hey, while you're here) we'd love it if you tossed us a bone or two and dropped some of this stuff online. As someone who loves every weird to epic thing you've released, I'd like to think sooner or later this very small, but brutally persistent itch I have to hear these older albums can be scratched.
preparation for a dive.

Sherbet Head
I'm very surprised those early cat. released haven't surfaced yet or if they ever left their house at all

i just want new stuff anyway, and those early ones. the old tunes etc, i wouldn't make it priority unless its a big package with... new stuff.

i just like new stuff. :D

Dayvan Cowboy
tonx wrote:a couple of points worth maybe making:

"Unreleased"? We aren't necessarily talking about unreleased material (though no doubt there is a ton of that). Hooper Bay, Closes, Acid Dreams, Catalog 3, Play By Numbers... these were released. We refer to them as "friends and family" releases in the lore, but that isn't because they were precious gifts for only certain special ears, but simply that BoC were an unknown act with next to no fans. An edition of 100 CDs for Music70 was probably enough of a stretch at the wallet. I bet many of those CDs and tapes ended up in the waste bins of record company mail rooms.

It's splitting hairs somewhat, but the only run of CDs they did prior to being signed to Skam or Warp was Play by Numbers and that's the only one that people supposedly had sightings of in the wild in the 90s.

Those 100 CD re-issues of Closes et al were supposedly done in 1997, after being signed to Warp. I'm sure those CD reissues were a way to celebrate their success of being signed and no attempts were made to market them. I'm sure their cassette counterparts were "distributed" like OT was with photocopied art and dubbed to a tape. OT/Maxima leaked because they were shopped around to record labels in 1995 outside of their usual circle alongside the Twoism vinyl.

They were able to tighten their circle again after that...maybe in 5 or 10 years some of that stuff will end up at friends' post-divorce garage sales or something...

Sherbet Head
tonx wrote:Acid Dreams

brb, screaming into pillow
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Sherbet Head
Someone bought a copy of Closes on Discogs a long time ago. There is a record of that on the page for the album. Unfortunately, it appears that this person decided not to share the tracks, at least not publicly. There are a few tracks from the album that have been going around and could be from that copy. Maybe it's how that one person knew A06 was 5d.

Edit: Apparently Play By Numbers sold as well at the same time and for the same price. Strange.

Sherbet Head
drillkicker wrote:Someone bought a copy of Closes on Discogs a long time ago. There is a record of that on the page for the album. Unfortunately, it appears that this person decided not to share the tracks, at least not publicly. There are a few tracks from the album that have been going around and could be from that copy. Maybe it's how that one person knew A06 was 5d.

Edit: Apparently Play By Numbers sold as well at the same time and for the same price. Strange.

If I recall correctly, the Discogs sales were dismissed as a load of old bollocks a long time ago. The real reason why people know A06 is 5D is because at some point someone uploaded the R35TT version to YouTube as "5D" and BoC added it to their official video playlist.

Then again, they also added the Poppy Seed reprise under the moniker of "The Children's Prison" to that same playlist, but that's a whole different can of worms.
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Eagle Minded
Jango9 wrote:
tonx wrote:Acid Dreams

brb, screaming into pillow

apologies, I must've drank a little too much Duffy Extract while typing that.
preparation for a dive.

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote: I'm sure those CD reissues were a way to celebrate their success of being signed and no attempts were made to market them. I'm sure their cassette counterparts were "distributed" like OT was with photocopied art and dubbed to a tape.

Dunno if "celebrate the success" is a completely satisfying explanation... could it have been a way to take their backlog of homebrewed releases and make them a bit more legit so as to clear up what recordings were part of Warp, what fell under Skam, and what remained solely under their (up to that point perhaps not yet fully incorporated/legit label) Music70?
preparation for a dive.

Dayvan Cowboy
tonx wrote:Dunno if "celebrate the success" is a completely satisfying explanation... could it have been a way to take their backlog of homebrewed releases and make them a bit more legit so as to clear up what recordings were part of Warp, what fell under Skam, and what remained solely under their (up to that point perhaps not yet fully incorporated/legit label) Music70?

I'm not so sure about that. They signed with Skam originally, Hi Scores came out of that arrangement, and MHTRTC was supposed to as well but it ended up being a co-release with Warp and the rest is history. I don't think any back catalog stuff was hashed out at that point in time. I don't think anyone really knew what was about to happen and it probably wasn't the big concern that we probably think of it as now. It wasn't until Twoism was re-released (in what, 2004 or something?) that they had announced that Warp had acquired the rights to their back catalog.

I guess I always read between the lines as "hey dudes, we got signed to Warp! Marcus just got a CD burner, let's spend a few hundred of our advance and put this old sh!t on CD for our own amusement and have a red moon party to celebrate..."

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada