other three XXXXXX promo vinyl copies whereabouts solved?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
There was this, only one went to Avalanche. If anyone buys this for a four figure sum they are fucking insane. Even the old tunes tapes have only gone for ~£600. Maybe someone would pay four figures for a previously unheard old demotape.

http://www.avalancherecords.co.uk/2013/ ... canada-12/

Eagle Minded
The listing was gone, so two things could've happened:

1: Some guy had way too much money and bought it.
2: It was a scam.
Out and about.

Sherbet Head
ZosoCon wrote:
Peacock Tail wrote:Who has actually stated that there are 6 copies?

According to twoism user krs, Other Music said in a phone call that there were six. And the the first purchaser confirmed this.
viewtopic.php?p=184576#184576
But yeah this was never really officially confirmed by Warp as far as I know.

Warp (Steven Hill- Head of North America Warp) confirms 5 were sent out to shops- just after the 27 min mark.

https://soundcloud.com/thefutureofwhat/ ... your-music

Eagle Minded
So Other Music just put out a statement saying they're closing their doors for good... I guess that explains why they were selling the record for so much (or at all.) Gonna miss that store, it was one of my favorites.

Eagle Minded

Eagle Minded
Surprisingly, in 2017, we got dealership of 5th vinyl.
The how and why we were able to get the record is simple.
It was a request from Japanese, who was given
”——/——/——/xxxxxx/——/——” record from a staff of WARP RECORDS as a gift.

http://coconutsdisk.com/yoyogi/index.php?s=boards+of+canada

Posts Quantity
I'm all for collecting things if that's what you're into, but asking that much for 30 seconds of audio is a ridiculous bastardization of commerce. Shame on any seller asking these insane prices.

True, if someone wants to pay up then fair deuce I suppose. But seems a shameful waste of money to cough up. Kinda like paying hundreds for an image of the Virgin Mary on toast.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't pay it but, hey, I once paid the thick end of £100 for Geogaddi on vinyl. More fool me.

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Hey Mexi, no shame in £100 for Geogaddi. That's high, but reasonable. I'm trying to figure out at what price I'd go for the XXXXX promo...
Anyway, it would be a fitting response for Warp to just repress these promos, and make them as indistinguishable as possible to the originals :wink:

Eagle Minded
If the market allows it to be worth £5000 then it's worth £5000. Nobody is being conned.

Posts Quantity
True, it's not a con. But pretty ridiculous nonetheless.

I'm sure Mike and Marcus have one or two of them. I'm probably misquoting a little bit, but I believe there was an interview during Tomorrow's Harvest about how they were cataloging all of their things so that their children were able to be helped financially in the future. That record is obviously a gold mine and it's probably why we haven't got a release of any of the older material. Forgive me if this was just a post on Twoism that a member speculated about.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Eagle Minded
Damien Hirst could spit out his chewing gum onto a napkin and charge 5 times as much. BoC are among the great artists of our time but produce almost no objects that could be traded in art world spheres. When one of these disks ends up in the permanent collection of MoMA or auctioned at Sotheby's for $60k in a few years... ?
preparation for a dive.

Posts Quantity
I have a hard time hearing about folks paying hundreds for rare pieces of vinyl. Especially when they just sit on a shelf or something.

Dayvan Cowboy
Right. Cos if you're not going to play it... I mean I can not-play it from here without buying it and save 4 grand.

It's as close to being a plain brown envelope as you can get. It has no aesthetic value. Nobody except a handful of people would care that I owned it... I just don't see the point. And to be honest it just makes me a bit sad to think people will blow any money on anything if it has Boards' name on it.

Dayvan Cowboy
MrMessiah wrote:Right. Cos if you're not going to play it... I mean I can not-play it from here without buying it and save 4 grand.

It's as close to being a plain brown envelope as you can get. It has no aesthetic value. Nobody except a handful of people would care that I owned it... I just don't see the point. And to be honest it just makes me a bit sad to think people will blow any money on anything if it has Boards' name on it.

Do you think there is a chance they anticipated this? I remember the use of a still from Charlie and the Chocolate factory as a metaphor for these records, I can't recall where it was but it was a Warp or Boards related site at the time. The hysteria surrounding an inanimate object if it has a certain amount of meaning put into it as displayed in the film/ book are a good analogy. Testing their Fanbase?

Sherbet Head
Oh they test their fanbase all the time. The black box drove us fucking nuts for a long time. I was checking their damn site daily like a crazy person.
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Dayvan Cowboy
I think there's a good chance the packaging being as minimal as it was was likely deliberate, yes. I mean the whole thing was a PR exercise for the release of TH and it's main reason to exist was in support of that. It's as much a Warp product as it is a Boards product really... more perhaps.

It's darkly funny to me that given the themes of TH this advertising product, long past the release of what it was advertising, has any totemic value just because it has Boards branding on it

Eagle Minded
I think what you need to remember is that Warp devised the launch campaign for TH, not BOC themselves, they simply had to sell the idea to them and get it signed off. I doubt BOC give a rats ass about any of this, but they are tied into a commercial record contract so occasionally have to roll with things. I would guess that exploiting scarcity for profit is against everything they stand for. I would even go as far as to say they probably wouldn't even charge for their music if they didn't have to eat, feed their kids, pay their mortgages and travel etc.

Eagle Minded
That said, I do get a very big kick out of the fact the 6 x 12" sell for so much money, it's a testament to how much the band are loved and revered. I'd love one, even if just to look at it and know there are only another 5 in the world.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada