Sometimes - Sexual Objects / Boards remix

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
i mean, the first minute and a half i was sucked into the track. it sounded like zoetrope in a way. i just got bored with it after the buildup. after more listens, i must admit, i think i will like a vocal-less version a lot more. in the original version of the track the vocals don't really bother me that much, its just the way the vocal samples are used in the boc remix that annoy me.

i agree with the above post with musical taste changing with age and maturity. that has def happened with boc in the sense that the music they release doesn't seem to have as strong of a psychedelic vibe as the earlier stuff did (which i miss). even our own musical taste changes with time. i know that most of the bands i really enjoyed when I was younger have gotten boring to me for the most part. a perfect example would be radiohead. i used to love their music. now i cant stand to watch or hear thom yorke, lol

Sherbet Head
not a massive fan of this remix either, seems a bit middle-of-the-road to me

but Mr Mistake versions and Sisters were killer efforts imo so I'm still a happy camper

Posts Quantity
RDJ is a good mention. Imagine if he metered his interaction and sharing of works as much as the bros. It takes some imagination, sure, but it goes to show just how much most of us don't know about them. They could have an immense library of created works. They've hinted at the possibility. All it would take is keeping it all private. The motivation could be as simple as being really into sharing thematic content and seeing the impact.

As far as creativity, maybe they sit down for ten minutes and whip up a thing of mind-blowing beauty. Or a heart-wrenching feel good track. Maybe that's a few days a week...routine. Who would ever know? They could be completely open about it w/immediate family and close friends. All it would take is asking them not to talk to others about them.

A remix for someone could be just a good deed with no strings attached, given through an afternoon of fun, nothing serious, and no cares about critical reception. Then maybe it's back to inhuman levels of output. It's not like they can't afford not to care about criticism they don't see value in.

Dayvan Cowboy
john fonda wrote:do you think fatherhood/age is altering their sound choices? taste changes with everyone, especially an artist

the other factor that I do not see mentioned is the sense of competition and hunger they must have had starting out

coming out of the blocks, more aggressive and confrontational

Sure, I think fatherhood has to mellow everyone out to some extent, you can't run around the woods off your face on psychedelics as much as you once did, or work constant 12 or 16 hour days in the studio...that's not to say that their ability to experiment and blow minds is gone, just look at something like Jacquard Causeway and some of the other audio experiments on TH, they still like to stretch within the constraints they put on themselves for a given album.

I'm just not sure if we should ever expect another psychedelic masterpiece like Geogaddi, they made that album already. At this point, we're also kind of living in an infinite nostalgia loop with their older music, we have so many memories attached to listening to it, it's always going to be impossible to measure up to our memories. Even for something like TCH, which I'm somewhat cool on, listening to it will always bring me back to meeting my wife for the first time.

As has been pointed out, they produce so much music that we never hear, we will probably get yet another complete thematic 180 on the next release. People who were cool on TH will probably call it a return to form. You can't make everyone else happy all the time, so if what makes them happy is to put out an hour or so of music every 5 years that is completely concept based and insular, then I'm happy for them too.

It's not so much that they've lost it, but whatever concept they might cook up next might lose you...

Mine just arrived. Actually, Rough Trade have sent me two copies despite only ordering one...

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Mmm the whole debate about growing up, becoming more mature and therefore more boring, the fire dimming in the belly, turning into a big old softies, pipe and slippers, intrigues me very much.

I think once you've ran round the woods and bonfires tripping on psychedelics these experiences never, ever leave you. You'll always be able to reference these experiences, even as time marches on. Also the fact you are bringing up children will also perhaps make you rage even harder against the wrongs and rights of this world, so the fire in the belly should never diminish, and maybe should even glow harder. Also bringing up children should also reignite the child within you. I don't get (but do understand) the whole fatherhood, middle age, concept would destroy them making another Geogaddi. I think it's more your responsibilities are about being a good dad, that may get in the way of the music..

But I don't think they'll let us down at all.

PS I've been drinking Delirium (pink elephants!) so apologies for the rambling

Dayvan Cowboy
warphead wrote:Mmm the whole debate about growing up, becoming more mature and therefore more boring, the fire dimming in the belly, turning into a big old softies, pipe and slippers, intrigues me very much.

I think once you've ran round the woods and bonfires tripping on psychedelics these experiences never, ever leave you. You'll always be able to reference these experiences, even as time marches on. Also the fact you are bringing up children will also perhaps make you rage even harder against the wrongs and rights of this world, so the fire in the belly should never diminish, and maybe should even glow harder. Also bringing up children should also reignite the child within you. I don't get (but do understand) the whole fatherhood, middle age, concept would destroy them making another Geogaddi. I think it's more your responsibilities are about being a good dad, that may get in the way of the music..

But I don't think they'll let us down at all.

PS I've been drinking Delirium (pink elephants!) so apologies for the rambling

I agree wholeheartedly on the sentiment that aspects of the psychedelic experience stick with you more or less permanently (its been 3 years since my last time, I think - and they haven't really diminished for me) - it's made me a far more empathetic person and it's made me see through peoples' bullshit and tells with enormous clarity - that last one would probably be a good skill for poker if I played. It just makes you a more dialed in person in general, far past the time of your experience.

From the point of view of being a father and being people who have had the veil permanently pulled back (I don't know how else to describe it), I'd be frustrated and angry as hell if I were those guys, and I think TH was a product of that feeling. With the world events of the past year or two, I think any reasonable person with a good head on their shoulders both here and over there are feeling it right now. Are the lads going to give us something to help us feel a little better next time around? I sure hope so.

My work in the speculation thread is probably a side effect of that extra-connectedness - basically looking at it the same as being familiar with a good friends eccentricities and saying "I know your shtick all too well, so what's all this then?" - if it pans out, my followup thread is going to be a poll asking whether or not you bought into it - and if so, what's your damage? Math background or psychedelics aficienado? Both?

Don't feel too bad for the rambling - I've had a few epic posts over the years fueled by one too many Lawson's and Alchemist beers - this might even be one of them!

Eagle Minded
First listen of this remix I was kinda meh on it, but I've been listening to it over the past few days and it's really grown on me, I've had the "Sometimes" bit stuck in my head. For their remix era right now I think this is a good addition, I've always wanted them to remix a sexual objects song and now I've got it.
"The patience of a true enthusiast is unlimited." - Albert Camus

Dayvan Cowboy
Sometimes I wish I had... baby?
Sometimes I wish I had... babies?
Sometimes I wish I had... rabies?
Sometimes I wish I had... maybe?
Sometimes I wish I had... waybay?

What the hell is he really saying?

Posts Quantity
ryetronics wrote:Sometimes I wish I had... baby?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a bit perverse that this gorgeous, protracted intro leads up to a climax of vague/indecipherable lyrics.

Dayvan Cowboy
breadmaker wrote:
ryetronics wrote:Sometimes I wish I had... baby?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a bit perverse that this gorgeous, protracted intro leads up to a climax of vague/indecipherable lyrics.

I can't understand him in the original track either.

Definitely baby. As in significant other. Though, babies would've been a really interesting lyric.

Days later...This track is so good. The OG and the remix.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Sherbet Head
why are warp not promoting it?

strange

Dayvan Cowboy
john fonda wrote:why are warp not promoting it?

strange

Sorry man, they're already at 84 tweets and likes, it's going to have to wait until after the eclipse

Dayvan Cowboy
In all seriousness though, it was kind of the same routine with the Sisters remix, where it was a remix appearing on another artist's release whereas Mr. Mistake is totally their own thing as far as the vinyl is concerned. I don't remember hearing very much about the Sisters vinyl at the time either.

It's also very limited so I'm sure that's part of why it's staying low key.

Sherbet Head
john fonda wrote:why are warp not promoting it?

strange

it's not really going to have much appeal outside of their hardcore fanbase tbh

no point in making a big deal about it

Posts Quantity
Warp is not promoting it because this is a release under Triassic Tusk Records. It makes no sense for a label to advertise a product they are not releasing themselves.

Same thing with Sisters, which was released under Leaving Records, not Warp.
Welcome, my friend. These are my people; now they are your people too.

Eagle Minded
rick7487 wrote:First listen of this remix I was kinda meh on it, but I've been listening to it over the past few days and it's really grown on me, I've had the "Sometimes" bit stuck in my head.

Wow, no doubt. That 2 measure loop has been preying on my brain. I don't even want it in there. I have to mentally attach that pianet echo bit from the end of the remix to dispel it.

There was part of the Nevermen remix with the vocals that had me locked down for a good couple of weeks. Thank God I can sleep again. Scientific indeed.

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:Mine just arrived. Actually, Rough Trade have sent me two copies despite only ordering one...

Any chance you'd like a buyer for the second copy?

Dayvan Cowboy
ScienceGuy wrote:Warp is not promoting it because this is a release under Triassic Tusk Records. It makes no sense for a label to advertise a product they are not releasing themselves.

Same thing with Sisters, which was released under Leaving Records, not Warp.

To be fair though, BoC themselves tweeted about Mr. Mistake and the Sisters video and vinyl separately last year. They have tweeted a few times about the Mr. Mistake vinyl release this year (not a Warp release) the latest being after all the details about the Sometimes video and release was out there already, so it's a little weird.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada