Sometimes - Sexual Objects / Boards remix

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
After sleeping on it I think it's a real grower, in fact I think this and Sisters are probably my 2 favorite remixes of theirs at the moment aside from maybe Poppy Side Reprise, and I feel that bodes well for what we might hear from them next. I like the "You okay?" sample at 2:17, it's pure old school Boards, and with all the numbers theorizing in the speculation thread, I think the fact that the sample drops at the specific time that represents the current year, maybe it's a hint that they will be comforting us as their next move instead of making us apprehensive like last time.

The really marvelous thing about this one is that it owes very little to the original tune (which is great in its own way!) and it reminds me of their older style of remixes that had maybe a very tenuous connection to what was being remixed in the first place, whereas with Sisters they were just adding a bit of flavor to the original that helped put it over the top.

Even my wife (who really only digs a couple of their tunes) was humming the melody after she heard it, so that has to mean something. Love it.

Sherbet Head
Yeah- I listened to the remix first (before the original) and absolutely loved it, the warm, fuzzy synths and melodies, birds, the MHTRTC-era sounding "you ok?", etc and was thinking at least some of that must have come from or been based on the original per the past few remixes. Then I listened to the original and was so pleased to find out that that was all them- no offense to the Sexual Objects and I really do like the original, but I was desperate for more of a BoC-based composition. I do love the build up and think the vocals work great, but yeah, an instrumental version would be an amazing companion.

I really thought the synth melody that accompanies the "do-do-do, do-do-do" had to be based on the original instrumentation, more so than just fitting the vocal melody, but absolutely love that it's all BoC, and it's just glorious.

This is like leaving the basement and stepping outside for the first time in... awhile. All thumbs up.

Friendly Stranger
Kure wrote:Lovely remix, gorgeous warm and fuzzy synth sounds! I also really like the vocals on this one actually compared Mr. Mistake, which also was quite good with the vocals, but the vocals, synths, percussions etc all comes together quite nice here on Sometimes.

Also If guys want to pre-order the Sometimes Remix EP with the BoC remix on it you can from one of the various record shops they've listed. I already pre-ordered mine from Rough Trade.

https://assai-records.myshopify.com/pro ... ts-wavne-2

https://www.undergroundsolushn.com/musi ... mixes.html

https://www.roughtrade.com/music/someti ... ne-remixes

Just to list a few.

Thanks for this, really appreciated!

Dayvan Cowboy
Does anyone know whether any of those shops will ship to the states?

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:Does anyone know whether any of those shops will ship to the states?

Rough Trade ship internationally

Friendly Stranger
really like it, would definitely dig it even more if it were a few mins longer though!

By the way, it's lovely at 33rpm too. What? John Peel would have...

Slow down...

Opothecary wrote:Even my wife (who really only digs a couple of their tunes) was humming the melody after she heard it, so that has to mean something. Love it.
In b4 next album will be ranked in the top 40 billboard pop music.

Posts Quantity
Opothecary wrote:Does anyone know whether any of those shops will ship to the states?

Assai stopped taking preorders at the labels request apparently. Looks like Underground are out of stock. Might get lucky with Rough Trade.

Nice little blurb here about the EP..

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/new-mu ... x-premiere

Slow down...

Also, have you noticed Andy Weatherall has a remix on the EP too? ie. Andy Weatherall who remixed Primal Scream, resulting in Loaded. Screamadelica went stratospheric shortly afterwards. Pretty excited to hear that too!

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
This is fantastic.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:Also, have you noticed Andy Weatherall has a remix on the EP too? ie. Andy Weatherall who remixed Primal Scream, resulting in Loaded. Screamadelica went stratospheric shortly afterwards. Pretty excited to hear that too!

And let's not forget:
phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Mexicola wrote:Also, have you noticed Andy Weatherall has a remix on the EP too? ie. Andy Weatherall who remixed Primal Scream, resulting in Loaded. Screamadelica went stratospheric shortly afterwards. Pretty excited to hear that too!

There are clips from all the tracks here:

https://www.undergroundsolushn.com/musi ... es-remixes

Thanks deadfly. The clips sound terrific. Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
yeah I was starting to feel a bit bad for Andrew Weatherall since the BOC mix was the one getting all the hype (even though the BOC remix DOES absolutely sound like the best thing on the record, judging from the clips.)

His mix of "Only love can break your heart" by Saint Etienne is one of my perennial favorites:

phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
the boc remix has not been posted on many sites

guessing because the video was locked on youtube and because they haven't let people know themselves

Eagle Minded
Always loved Weatherall's remix of Papua New Guinea.
phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
seaburn wrote:Also, I wouldn't mind a puppet tour either.

Well since the brothers are too reclusive to play live, I would definitely be up for a puppet tour instead. Recently saw Kraftwerk 3D and this could be a low tech equivalent to them playing The Robots.
Last edited by tiges on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
Omikron wrote:Always loved Weatherall's remix of Papua New Guinea.
phpBB [media]

First time I've heard this...brilliant!
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada