Deconstructing the artwork of Tomorrow's harvest

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
jcnporter wrote:
I've been trying my damnedest to identify the car in one of the images - almost certain it's a 1990s model, relatively low spec, not European, possibly American but most likely Japanese. I was really hoping the model was going to be a 'Gemini', but I don't think so. The clues to the era and spec level are the window surround and black plastic mirror, I think the key to narrowing down the car make and model is the curves in the corner of the window and door and the body colour B-pillar (most B pillars in more modern cars tend to be black). The open bonnet and doors suggest a car advert/brochure image. Excuse me, I'm a former car geek....
Love this thread, by the way.

Remember that after their music was used on a Nissan television advert, Mike began driving one according to an interview (will try to dig it up). I think it was implied that they were given a free Nissan in exchange for their contribution, not sure.

It could be a picture they had taken themselves or alternately a photograph they found of the same model of car.

Valotonin wrote:Remember that after their music was used on a Nissan television advert, Mike began driving one according to an interview (will try to dig it up). I think it was implied that they were given a free Nissan in exchange for their contribution, not sure.
This interview. It's not the first one we've done either, grins Mike. We did one for Nissan last year. Then again, I drive a Nissan. (...) I'd have been more than happy to have been paid in cars, believe me!

I'm 99% sure that the car model is a Ford Contour (probably 1997). Every parts look the same to me. Some of them have black wind mirror too. We are getting closer :P

About the infamous number '822'. It could be a flight number on a departure board, what do you guys think?

Dayvan Cowboy
Matoseb wrote:I'm 99% sure that the car model is a Ford Contour (probably 1997). Every parts look the same to me. Some of them have black wind mirror too. We are getting closer :P

Bloody hell that's it! Also known as the Ford Mondeo here in the UK, although I suspect we're looking for the Contour - a picture something like this -

Dayvan Cowboy
Matoseb wrote:About the infamous number '822'. It could be a flight number on a departure board, what do you guys think?

Its too orangey. Flight departure boards are typically yellow

but

On UK train departure boards it sometimes displays the time without a separator so 8:22 would be 0822 and they are exactly the same colour/ configuration of LEDs

Edit: Because of the close configuration of the LEDs (and the fact there are so few of them) in the 822 picture, one can deduce that it was a small part of a display board indicating a flight number or the time of a departing train.

Dayvan Cowboy
"
United 822
UAL822 / UA822
Gate B26
IAD Washington, DC
BOS Boston, MA
arrived at Gate B26
Boston Logan Intl - BOS"

I am not too familiar with aviation schedules etc. Does the same flight number typically fly the same route or is it changed regularly?

Boston Logan International to Washington DC was the inevitable flight path of one of the planes on 9/11 was it not?

Bocluminati confirmed

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:
Matoseb wrote:About the infamous number '822'. It could be a flight number on a departure board, what do you guys think?

Its too orangey. Flight departure boards are typically yellow

but

On UK train departure boards it sometimes displays the time without a separator so 8:22 would be 0822 and they are exactly the same colour/ configuration of LEDs

Edit: Because of the close configuration of the LEDs (and the fact there are so few of them) in the 822 picture, one can deduce that it was a small part of a display board indicating a flight number or the time of a departing train.

It could be from a VIA Rail departure board. In the province of Quebec in Canada, the "Embarquement" or Boarding time is sometimes shown without a colon:

Dayvan Cowboy
GeoDose wrote:It could be from a VIA Rail departure board. In the province of Quebec in Canada, the "Embarquement" or Boarding time is sometimes shown without a colon:

Close but no cigar sadly. I count 5 LEDs on the lowest line of the two and four on the lowest line of the eight. In the artwork it is 4 and 3 respectively. It is in line with the smaller departure boards in the UK (The time next to the train listing as opposed to the larger time indicator) but I am sure there are hundreds of similar systems out there. It probably relates back to something that has a military/ industrial application.

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:
GeoDose wrote:It could be from a VIA Rail departure board. In the province of Quebec in Canada, the "Embarquement" or Boarding time is sometimes shown without a colon:

Close but no cigar sadly. I count 5 LEDs on the lowest line of the two and four on the lowest line of the eight. In the artwork it is 4 and 3 respectively. It is in line with the smaller departure boards in the UK (The time next to the train listing as opposed to the larger time indicator) but I am sure there are hundreds of similar systems out there. It probably relates back to something that has a military/ industrial application.

Hmm, yeah you're probably right... It most likely is something military/industrial related, as that would fit in nicely with the other image sources.

Edit: Smart idea counting the LEDs! I'm at work and didn't think to examine them that closely.

Nova Scotia Robot
What an awesome thread. Perhaps patterns and stories will come out of these discoveries that will shine new light on the album and it's hidden gems that are said to be more plentiful than any of their previous work.

Added TCH and IABPOITC on the google slides doc.

Spoiler: show
Syrian soldier aims an AK-47, 14 May 1992
I had already identified the gas mask model, it's a soviet "ShMS". Then I just typed on google images "site:https://commons.wikimedia.org/ gas mask soviet" and found it. Seems like most images come from wikimedia commons.

Friendly Stranger
Some very fine research here. Thanks all

Anyone has a hi resolution scan of the poster that came with the 2013 vinyl reissues? There are some pictures of TH that might be in better quality, less cropped too. It could help find the original images.

Dayvan Cowboy
Woa. I am sorry but what the fuck happened to Matoseb's account?

The writing is really small on the forum page, just for his name, there are no posts, no picture, no status it just says 'Offline'

Did he do something deemed significantly ban-able or ?

I can't think as to what he would say that was worse than some of the shit I have spouted.
(sorry if I am mistaken and the account has changed for other reasons)

No change in their account to my knowledge? In fact I just thanked them for flagging a spam post. I'll check into it. Thanks for flagging Val.

Slow down...

Valotonin wrote:Woa. I am sorry but what the fuck happened to Matoseb's account?

The writing is really small on the forum page, just for his name, there are no posts, no picture, no status it just says 'Offline'

Did he do something deemed significantly ban-able or ?

I can't think as to what he would say that was worse than some of the shit I have spouted.
(sorry if I am mistaken and the account has changed for other reasons)

Any chance you could ping me a screenshot? I'm not seeing what you've described. Wonder if it's a glitch your end perhaps?

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:
Any chance you could ping me a screenshot? I'm not seeing what you've described. Wonder if it's a glitch your end perhaps?

Check your inbox, Mexi

Its weird. Maybe it is just a glitch on my end but it seems to only apply to one user.

Site Admin
Valotonin wrote:Woa. I am sorry but what the fuck happened to Matoseb's account?
I messed things up and accidentally banned and deleted the wrong IP :( ... We are currently working things out.
Life is a Frequency

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada