Deconstructing the artwork of Tomorrow's harvest

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Fireal420 wrote:i always had the vibe that the tracks on tomorrows harvest are supposed to be played at the same time, or something along that effect. theres a vibe that there is something else going on, like certain tracks are supposed to be played at once and overlap into one track. kind of like how some of the photos are doing.

Didn't it turn out that songs on TH could be matched up with a pair based on the key they were written in? I think I remember reading in a thread that someone mixed some of them together and they ended up sounding good. There's also still the old theory of an album being hid within the album...

Boqurant
in my opinion, the sequence of tracks is how it should be. you have the opening fanfare sound in Gemini. the sick times which leads to the collapse and which leads to the apocalypse in the middle. and you have the seeds of the dead at the end which represent the ending and the new beginning at the same time. eternal cycle.
Palace Posy

Boqurant
this was probably the most cryptic image from the artwork for me. thanks!
Palace Posy

Dayvan Cowboy

I would like to know how on earth that was found. Surely a simple reverse image search wouldn't find you an isolated and slightly manipulated part of an image that has been mirrored? If so, that is pretty intense.

Valotonin wrote:I would like to know how on earth that was found. Surely a simple reverse image search wouldn't find you an isolated and slightly manipulated part of an image that has been mirrored? If so, that is pretty intense.
As soon as I knew it was part of a gas mask as said by Brian, I tried to find the most similar model. Then I found this image on google. This is a MCU-2/P model, looks the same to me. Googled it and found the one by BoC, lucky!
Not really reverse image for this one. Idk how Brian knew about this image though.

Boqurant
Now then you saw the original, you can notice an eye behind the gas mask... This is some next level mind fuckery!!
Palace Posy

Posts Quantity
Amazing find! That one is very obscure on first glance. It's also interesting that this image showing a reflection is reversed like all the others; a reflection of a reflection.

Maybe the guys won't release the next album until all of the image sources are identified? :P

Edit: @CKAT-1 Holy crap, I see the eye now! I'll never be able to un-see it!

Only BOC could do this. Four years later, and despite Uber geeks pouring over it, we still turn stuff up. May the hexagon sun shine down upon them. Amazing.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Nice finds here

Sherbet Head
We should have titles for these sort of findings. Inspector Hexagon. The Seer. Probability Poker.

Dayvan Cowboy
Come to think of it, could this potentially lead us to something bigger?

A few of the images on the Vynl sleves etc for Campfire seem to be of the brothers themselves but others look like they could be accumulated stock photos etc from a particular (late 70s early 80s) moment in time.

Could we use the methods employed here to track down any of the images used in Campfire Headphase?
I say we wait until the TH imagery is found to the fullest extent it can be and used contextually to build up a larger picture first, though.

Great work guys, seriously phenomenal particularly with the Gas Mask image, wouldn't have guessed in a hundred years that someone would find the source for it.

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:Could we use the methods employed here to track down any of the images used in Campfire Headphase?

I tried looking for original sources of the artwork of TCH, but with no luck, however I did find original sources for a couple of pictures from IABPOITC:

Spoiler: show

and

both from Russian sites haha
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Sherbet Head

Eagle Minded
I love this thread this is the shit I live for <3

Great finds guys! I should make a new google doc for all of this!
WaitingFor_22 wrote:I tried looking for original sources of the artwork of TCH, but with no luck
Some THC pictures are already found.
But I suggest we should only talk about TH on this thread, or maybe change the name of it :?

- Guido found that one (only on the THC artwork promo).

- Pantheon from watmm:
From a 1972 documentary: Social Seminar: Tom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4SG9DlYgo&t=10m3s

- k h o v from watmm:
Campus and Student Computer Center 1979

Dayvan Cowboy
Matoseb wrote:Great finds guys! I should make a new google doc for all of this!
WaitingFor_22 wrote:I tried looking for original sources of the artwork of TCH, but with no luck
Some THC pictures are already found.
But I suggest we should only talk about TH on this thread, or maybe change the name of it :?

- Guido found that one (only on the THC artwork promo).

- Pantheon from watmm:
From a 1972 documentary: Social Seminar: Tom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4SG9DlYgo&t=10m3s

- k h o v from watmm:
Campus and Student Computer Center 1979

Its pretty interesting that they used a still from 'Social Seminar: Tom' on TCH artwork because some of the vocal samples in one or more of the interludes has already been tracked down to that episode. Do you think it was like MHTRTC where a lot of the sources just came from one individual episode of something?

Dayvan Cowboy
I wonder if they could have been purposely referencing the sample source in the artwork and vice versa.
I like the idea that the album and artwork could be connected, not just thematically, but with clues and easter eggs in both.
Perhaps this has already been investigated on here? Anyway it would show the dedication and work involved in presenting an album as a complete work, artwork, music and all.
I love the idea of this in an era where the album seems like a dying concept.
Perhaps we should be looking for more connections between the TH artwork and the tunes themselves?

I've been trying my damnedest to identify the car in one of the images - almost certain it's a 1990s model, relatively low spec, not European, possibly American but most likely Japanese. I was really hoping the model was going to be a 'Gemini', but I don't think so. The clues to the era and spec level are the window surround and black plastic mirror, I think the key to narrowing down the car make and model is the curves in the corner of the window and door and the body colour B-pillar (most B pillars in more modern cars tend to be black). The open bonnet and doors suggest a car advert/brochure image. Excuse me, I'm a former car geek....
Love this thread, by the way.

Posts Quantity
Nottoolate wrote:
Didn't it turn out that songs on TH could be matched up with a pair based on the key they were written in? I think I remember reading in a thread that someone mixed some of them together and they ended up sounding good. There's also still the old theory of an album being hid within the album...

Hmm...

Gemini - D Minor
Reach for the Dead - D#/Eb Minor
White Cyclosa - D Minor
Jacquard Causeway - B Minor
Telepath - G#/Ab Minorish
Cold Earth - probably A Minor (see my post in the music theory thread)
Transmisiones Ferox - D#/Eb Minor
Sick Times - weird kinda B Minor
Collapse - D Minor
Palace Posy - seems to start in B Minor or something but ends in E almost-Major (this song is quite strange)
Split Your Infinities - begins in Eb Minor and ends in Eb Major
Uritual - G#/Ab Minor
Nothing Is Real - Bb Mixolydian (so this already kind of wrecks the theory)
Sundown - no key, see the music theory thread. best guess d minor but it's not consistent
New Seeds - Bb Minor but it just barely ends in Bb Major
Come to Dust - D#/Eb Minor
Semena Mertvykh - D#/Eb Minor but with weird notes

So that's 3.5 songs in D Minor, 4.5 songs in D#/Eb Minor, 2 songs in G#/Ab Minor, 1.9 songs in Bb Minor, and 1.7 songs in B Minor. Some keys are the same and others are close but I think if BoC had wanted to make a bunch of pairs line up they'd have made it more obvious. Even if we call Sundown the "oddball" out because it doesn't have a set key and we need 8 pairs with 1 extra, Palace Posy and SYI both modulate halfway through, and New Seeds has a Picardy-3rd-style ending. Plus the tuning is inconsistent; as we all know BoC detune the crap out of their recordings and I had to change my synth tuning multiple times while trying to figure out all these keys.

Believe me, I love this theory and wish it were true, but I don't think it is. Plus I agree with the other user - it really makes sense in the long run, what with the opening horns of Gemini, the collapse, the apocalypse (a word which means unveiling Biblically...so maybe not implying the end of the world necessarily), the rebirth, and the futile collapse at the end.

jcnporter wrote:I've been trying my damnedest to identify the car in one of the images - almost certain it's a 1990s model, relatively low spec, not European, possibly American but most likely Japanese. I was really hoping the model was going to be a 'Gemini', but I don't think so. The clues to the era and spec level are the window surround and black plastic mirror, I think the key to narrowing down the car make and model is the curves in the corner of the window and door and the body colour B-pillar (most B pillars in more modern cars tend to be black). The open bonnet and doors suggest a car advert/brochure image.
Great research! I'll investigate soon.

I'm also trying to find the Grain elevator looking image. To me, it looks like this type.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada