Some weird thing from the 98 archive of the boc site.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
"Turquoise Hexagon Sun website

Planned 8mm 5 section film, to accompany their recent recordings in the summer of 1998, to be released in 1999 thru Music70. Prequels will be shot in 2019

"Boards of Canada believe that everyone should experience trepanning" " What do they mean by "shooting prequels in 2019?" Link https://web.archive.org/web/19981206110 ... canada.htm
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Sherbet Head
"Boards of Canada believe that everyone should experience trepanning"

... What? :?
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy
Possibly a joke. Prequels shot 20 years after the originals were big news in 98/99

Dayvan Cowboy
And we needed those like a hole in the head :lol:

Sherbet Head
Negamuse wrote:And we needed those like a hole in the head :lol:

Lol that makes sense then, I guess... :lol:
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy
"Collaborations now under way with Mike Paradinas and Chris Morris (Yes, Brass Eye, Day Today, Blue Jam); to be released in the new year"

A minor connection here but Chris Morris played the Boss Character (Denholm Reynholm) in the first season of The IT Crowd. Throughout that season a Campfire Headphase poster is seen on the wall of the IT department office until the following season, for which Chris Morris is replaced by Matt Berry as the Boss of the company. Basically the entire time Chris was on the show, there was a BoC poster present.

Edit: Turns out Chris is also a musician judging from his Wikipedia article
"Morris lives in Brixton, with his wife, actress turned literary agent Jo Unwin.[44] The pair met in 1984 at the Edinburgh Festival, when he was playing bass guitar for the Cambridge Footlights"
Last edited by Valotonin on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
Almost forgot to say thank you for shedding light on this archive Flory (-:
A lot of rather obscure information that would have been mostly forgotten otherwise.

Also, emphasis on "Bass Playing" and "Edinburgh" for the last comment.

Eagle Minded
So, here's an interesting tidbit from this - I poked around a little bit and found a posting from Feb 28, 2005 that looks kind of familiar...

https://web.archive.org/web/20050228015104/http://www.boardsofcanada.com/things1.html
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Ha! Good find!!!!

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
I knew i'd seen that before! Wasn't sure if I was just going mad so never mentioned it

Eagle Minded
Those cheeky buggers had a *version* of the Cosecha site up EIGHT YEARS before they ran the promo for it!

I tried the code as it was released and had two outcomes:

1. TWB went screwy and took me back to it's main page
2. The message "attempting to log you in" just sat there and nothing else happened.

I can't get much more out of it - but, yeah. There ya go.

Now that we know they had the up as early as 2005 - how does that translate (timeline wise) to the black box appearing???
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Dayvan Cowboy
and people say they don't plan things years in advance...

the black box turned up in early 2011, I believe, maybe February?

1st March 2011 to be precise. ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7862&hilit=black

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:"Collaborations now under way with Mike Paradinas and Chris Morris (Yes, Brass Eye, Day Today, Blue Jam); to be released in the new year"

A minor connection here but Chris Morris played the Boss Character (Denholm Reynholm) in the first season of The IT Crowd. Throughout that season a Campfire Headphase poster is seen on the wall of the IT department office until the following season, for which Chris Morris is replaced by Matt Berry as the Boss of the company. Basically the entire time Chris was on the show, there was a BoC poster present.

I suggest viewing another Morris piece of work, Nathan Barley, for futher Boards of Canada nuggets...

Eagle Minded
And let's not forget Jam....

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
drixlin wrote:So, here's an interesting tidbit from this - I poked around a little bit and found a posting from Feb 28, 2005 that looks kind of familiar...

https://web.archive.org/web/20050228015104/http://www.boardsofcanada.com/things1.html

If you inspect the html on this page you can see this:

<!--
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ ------ / ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ \
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\______________________________/
-->

(gets kind of messed up on here but it's a hexagon with ------ / ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ in the middle). If this really is from 2005 it has blown my mind slightly

Dayvan Cowboy
deadfly wrote:
drixlin wrote:So, here's an interesting tidbit from this - I poked around a little bit and found a posting from Feb 28, 2005 that looks kind of familiar...

<!--
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
-->

(gets kind of messed up on here but it's a hexagon with ------ / ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ in the middle). If this really is from 2005 it has blown my mind slightly

That was also in the source code of the official Cosecha Transmissiones website.
So the numerical hex clues where put in place eight years before?
Does that mean that someone could have potentially found the TH transmission shortly after Campfire Headphase?

How long ago was TH made anyway?
Maybe there is a reason that on all CD versions the date lists it as being created in 1995
I don't think a single sample source found within the CD dates to anywhere after 1995 actually.

Keep in mind that a lot of MHTRTC was written around the time Twoism was being released if BoC Maxima was a 1996 record.

Dayvan Cowboy
drixlin wrote:Those cheeky buggers had a *version* of the Cosecha site up EIGHT YEARS before they ran the promo for it!

I tried the code as it was released and had two outcomes:

1. TWB went screwy and took me back to it's main page
2. The message "attempting to log you in" just sat there and nothing else happened.

I can't get much more out of it - but, yeah. There ya go.

Now that we know they had the up as early as 2005 - how does that translate (timeline wise) to the black box appearing???

Tried as you did, other entries say invalid password but typing in the Cosecha codes seems to redirect you back to the main page. This would imply that it recognises the code and, even in 2005, that was the correct number sequence for the virtual terminal.

Again, would someone entering that code in 2005 have been directed to the Semena Mertvykh video?
Its impossible to tell, but what else would have been there?

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:
deadfly wrote:

<!--
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
-->

That was also in the source code of the official Cosecha Transmissiones website.
So the numerical hex clues where put in place eight years before?
Does that mean that someone could have potentially found the TH transmission shortly after Campfire Headphase?

How long ago was TH made anyway?
Maybe there is a reason that on all CD versions the date lists it as being created in 1995
I don't think a single sample source found within the CD dates to anywhere after 1995 actually.

Keep in mind that a lot of MHTRTC was written around the time Twoism was being released if BoC Maxima was a 1996 record.

what the fuck

is it possible that the wayback machine is just messing up? This is so weird

Sherbet Head
Ok, I'm officially weirded out by this discovery.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada