strangest place to hear boc

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
White Cyclosa on BBC1 tonight, used in a trail for Panorama

Boqurant
Heard Bocuma at a Sears once in 2017. Didn't even follow through with Roygbiv :/
Whoever put together Sears' radio station was obviously a fan and wanted to sneak something in.

Eagle Minded
Anyone playing Riders Republic?

Pleasantly surprised to discover XYZ and Dayvan on the Horizon Chill station.

Plaid and Tycho also appear on the channel.

If you're a fan of extreme sports games, check this one out. Ubisoft nailed it.
If you're not happy looking a knob in the face, there's something wrong. - Karl Pilkington

Posts Quantity
thinkdontpray wrote:Anyone playing Riders Republic?

I love the soundtrack. There's also:
T69 Collapse
Girl/Boy Song
Beep Street
Fly!

Boqurant
The closest thing I've heard to hearing Boards of Canada on TV was hearing Battles' "Atlas" in a Superbowl commercial.

It wasn't very close.

Boqurant
Well, Baby Driver used Ready Lets Go so I guess there's that

Eagle Minded

Hearing BoC on a TV show is nothing special. Hearing BoC in a film is fairly strange. But hearing them in a game?! That's a new one on me!

I played the trial for 30 mins last week. Seemed pretty fun but I couldn't decide if the full game would be kinda hollow. Is there a substantial amount of challenges, progression, etc? I'm intrigued but may need some persuasion :mrgreen:

New Seed
some strange video i saw when i was like 6 or 7, it was basically a video of the letters of the alphabet thrown through effects. the song was You Could Feel The Sky but i really just thought it was the weird zipper song back then because i had no idea who the boards of canada were
And you can't just come out and live with a religious community in a beautiful place out in the country and get away from it all...

Dayvan Cowboy
PurpleFlurp wrote:Heard Bocuma at a Sears once in 2017. Didn't even follow through with Roygbiv :/
Whoever put together Sears' radio station was obviously a fan and wanted to sneak something in.

This reminded me of an odd experience visiting a frozen yogurt shop. It wasn't BoC, but when am I gonna be able to tell this one. Someone decided to play the full album of Tender Buttons by Broadcast, front to back, and since I was one of the only people in there at the time, it got really eerie once it got to "I Found the End"

Sherbet Head wrote:Hearing BoC on a TV show is nothing special. Hearing BoC in a film is fairly strange. But hearing them in a game?! That's a new one on me!

It still bugs me that GTA had three different radio stations that were able to fit Aphex Twin into, but no BoC. Rockstar North are even from Edinburgh too, for shame :( .
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Posts Quantity
7uca5 wrote:Mika Hakkinen Teaches Captain Slow to Drive - Top Gear - BBC 2009

Boards Of Canada - Hey Sunday Sun

https://youtu.be/2bmqdnx5R1U?t=4m22s

Also Top Gear for me. It was in Pripyat, the gas ran out and Gemini was playing.
Fly!

Eagle Minded
Sherbet Head wrote:

Hearing BoC on a TV show is nothing special. Hearing BoC in a film is fairly strange. But hearing them in a game?! That's a new one on me!

I played the trial for 30 mins last week. Seemed pretty fun but I couldn't decide if the full game would be kinda hollow. Is there a substantial amount of challenges, progression, etc? I'm intrigued but may need some persuasion :mrgreen:

It's not that deep, it's more arcadey than any thing but the gameplay loop is so satisfying. From what I can tell it's an endless loop of challenges. And the way Ubisoft supported Steep with updates and DLC I wouldn't be shocked if they added skateboarding at some point.

If you enjoyed the time you spent with the game I think you'll have hours of fun with it.
If you're not happy looking a knob in the face, there's something wrong. - Karl Pilkington

Happy Cycler
rodox_head wrote:
PurpleFlurp wrote:Heard Bocuma at a Sears once in 2017. Didn't even follow through with Roygbiv :/

This reminded me of an odd experience visiting a frozen yogurt shop. It wasn't BoC, but when am I gonna be able to tell this one. Someone decided to play the full album of Tender Buttons by Broadcast, front to back, and since I was one of the only people in there at the time, it got really eerie once it got to "I Found the End"

Again, not BoC, but I remember being out for dinner in a nice restaurant once and the chosen soundtrack was The Marble Index by Nico. That was..... not a relaxing experience.

Eagle Minded
Heard Transmisiones Ferox in Adam Curtis's latest documentary 'Can't Get You out of my Head.' Not exactly the strangest place I've heard it though considering that's a BBC program

Eagle Minded
NTFMTS wrote:Heard Transmisiones Ferox in Adam Curtis's latest documentary 'Can't Get You out of my Head.' Not exactly the strangest place I've heard it though considering that's a BBC program

I'm fairly certain BoC have licensed their whole catalogue to the BBC, their songs are in so many of those docs now
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
rodox_head wrote:It still bugs me that GTA had three different radio stations that were able to fit Aphex Twin into, but no BoC. Rockstar North are even from Edinburgh too, for shame :( .

Yep, it's surprising that even the obligatory Dayvan Cowboy failed to make the cut, especially when a few other Warp artists slid their way into the game. Hell, Flying Lotus has his own entire station on there!

thinkdontpray wrote:It's not that deep, it's more arcadey than any thing but the gameplay loop is so satisfying. From what I can tell it's an endless loop of challenges. And the way Ubisoft supported Steep with updates and DLC I wouldn't be shocked if they added skateboarding at some point.

If you enjoyed the time you spent with the game I think you'll have hours of fun with it.

Sounds good, perhaps I'll give it a whirl. Nice one!

Posts Quantity
If you listen closely, you can hear Magic Window right now. Try it!
Fly!

Eagle Minded
funnnnpng wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:Heard Transmisiones Ferox in Adam Curtis's latest documentary 'Can't Get You out of my Head.' Not exactly the strangest place I've heard it though considering that's a BBC program

I'm fairly certain BoC have licensed their whole catalogue to the BBC, their songs are in so many of those docs now

Yeah I believe it lol

Posts Quantity
Has their music even been featured in a NFB film?
Fly!

Eagle Minded
bocbocbocboc wrote:Well, Baby Driver used Ready Lets Go so I guess there's that

Shame it's not on the vinyl release though. Killer soundtrack but incomplete, unfortunately.

Same with the Pulp Fiction soundtrack omitting Link Wray's Rumble: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTg6rZJCu4
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Posts Quantity
I went with some friends to Tijuana Flats on Cinco de Mayo the other day and we were sitting outside drinking a few beers chatting (somewhat friendly) politics not actively paying attention to the music whatsoever. It was just nice background music of your typical tunes you'd hear at any establishment. To my surprise, Olson starts playing and I stopped dead in my tracks. What is funny about this is one of my friends immediately said *jokingly* "Must be Boards of Canada" and I said IT IS!

Right after Olson, it went right back to the mainstream music.

To say my mood changed after that is an understatement. I was so happy. Glad I saw this thread.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada