strangest place to hear boc

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Nova Scotia Robot
Was watching Screen Savers on G4Tech tv a while ago and they were showing off some new ipod accesories and rating them. when the woman hooked up her ipod the the mac and showed the song list and started playing music, she had the whole The Campfire Headphase album on it and nothing else. Leo Laporte (as much as he can be a tool at times) started groovin to the music, and said "this is great, who is this?"

blew my mind. i never expected to see that.

I know watmm has a weirdest places you've heard boc played thread, but i couldnt find one here. And some of the folks here don't have watmm accounts. so where have you heard boc where you least expected?

Posts Quantity
Ha ha! That would be fun to see :D

I've only ever heard two BoC songs on the radio here: once many years ago on an experimental music show on community radio (Music is Math). It was so weird hearing someone say "Boards of Canada" and "Geogaddi". Sad, but I'd never actually heard another person say those words before :( And about two months ago I heard Roygbiv on student radio. It's quite an awesome feeling hearing music you love when you're not expecting it.

There's a discussion/debate programme on TV here called Insight - they've used BoC a few times over the years. Probably the oddest was on a show about last year's federal election - they played A Moment of Clarity over graphics of election opinion poll results. In 2002 or 2003 they played Melissa Juice in a story about evangelical churches - that shocked me!

Most recently I was surprised to hear the beginning of Sunshine Recorder on a skateboarding video.

EDIT: Some others that have come to mind:

There was a Lewis Black video that was a pisstake on crappy TV. I can't find it now (it was taken off YouTube) but it essentially was a bowl of celebrity faeces spinning around 24 hours a day and people would ring in and guess whose shit it was. He said it would have a "new-age soundtrack", which was Turquoise Hexagon Sun (though it was only heard for a second or two each time).

FashionTV shocked me once by playing Alpha and Omega many moons ago, and MTV Australia used a very short snippet from Slow This Bird Down for a sponsorship advertisement.

I'm not sure if these rank as "unusual". I wish I had more interesting examples though, like "this one time a police car went past playing Nlogax!! OMG!!" :P
Last edited by Korona 1969 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
I hear BoC and AFX allot on NPR these days. One time I heard Turquoise Hexagon Sun as the background music to a spoken novel.
Black then White are all I see in my infancy...Red and Yellow then came to me, reachin' out to me, lets me see...

Dayvan Cowboy
i hate when this happens. one time i was at a coffee shop and they played chromakey dreamcoat in the middle of some crappy techno mix, people just dont understand the tunes.

Dayvan Cowboy
BoC's music features quite heavily on UK TV. I've been watching allsorts of programmes and a track starts up. Most pleasingly is when it happens on a documentary about the natural world.

Dayvan Cowboy
hungry_manweaselbeast wrote:BoC's music features quite heavily on UK TV. I've been watching allsorts of programmes and a track starts up. Most pleasingly is when it happens on a documentary about the natural world.

Yeah its the same with RTE 1 + 2 cause they always use BoC on there docs about politics and crimes etc, all the time, i always get a little giddy if i hear them on d'telly!

Sherbet Head
When all the Iraq was was kicking off there was this advert on telly for Panorama or some doc/news program and they were playing Zoetrope, and it fitted perfectly for the advert, must say I was pleased ot hear it on the BBC but maybe not with the subject matter it was linked to.

Sherbet Head
I heard peacock tail once in a Barnes & Noble. Not to mention the bumps on Adult Swim.

Also, what really caught me by surprise was the use of Aphex Twin in a Sopranos episode.
MOST THINGS GO OUT OF STYLE, ' C E P T
F R I E N D S

Boqurant
I once heard Music Has The Right To Children being played in a bakery. Couldn't identify Wildlife Analysis, but when An Eagle In Your Mind came on it was obvious.
.sevooh htiw dog a ,snroh htiw dog A

Dayvan Cowboy
I heard 1969 in a documentary about (romantic) jealousy on Dutch television.

I don't think I ever heard it in a club.

Dayvan Cowboy
Guido wrote:I heard 1969 in a documentary about (romantic) jealousy on Dutch television.

I don't think I ever heard it in a club.

I played Telepahsic Workshop as the opening track at a night I put on a few years back and had some serious breakbeat types headlining the show. It sounded magnificent. Really nice opener to a night of electronic mayhem :D

Happy Cycler
I've heard quite a few BoC tracks on Triple J's (A nation wide radio station) program The Sound Lab. It's dedicated to experimental music, and it rocks. :D

Sherbet Head
The Telepathic Kid wrote:I've heard quite a few BoC tracks on Triple J's (A nation wide radio station) program The Sound Lab. It's dedicated to experimental music, and it rocks. :D

Triple J is pretty good, I'm not at all surprised to hear that they play some Boards of Canada.

But really, a radio station does that rank that highly as an "odd place" to hear BoC :)

Boqurant
Moebius wrote:
The Telepathic Kid wrote:I've heard quite a few BoC tracks on Triple J's (A nation wide radio station) program The Sound Lab. It's dedicated to experimental music, and it rocks. :D

Triple J is pretty good, I'm not at all surprised to hear that they play some Boards of Canada.

But really, a radio station does that rank that highly as an "odd place" to hear BoC :)

Sorta does, as you only really hear it on the midnight electronica shows...

Damn you, modern rock radio.
.sevooh htiw dog a ,snroh htiw dog A

Posts Quantity

Eh - Sunday nights are so inconvenient for me, so I rarely get to listen to TSL, but I'm glad to hear Fenella is a fan of the brothers' music. 8)

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm glad this thread exists b/c this little tidbit doesn't warrant it's own, but here goes (and it's more seen, not heard)...

I was just reading up on the new Yahoo! Messenger that's optimized for Windows Vista, and low and behold, on their download page, there's a picture with an interesting line below it. Go to http://messenger.yahoo.com/windowsvista.php and the 2nd preview picture (of an avatar of a woman with black hair), and check out what music she's listening to. It's not a full band name, but come on, who else could it be?

Do I win for most useless post of the week?

Sherbet Head
Bein obsessed with BoC

UR DOIN IT RITE
Viper.

Nova Scotia Robot
ryetronics wrote:I'm glad this thread exists b/c this little tidbit doesn't warrant it's own, but here goes (and it's more seen, not heard)...

I was just reading up on the new Yahoo! Messenger that's optimized for Windows Vista, and low and behold, on their download page, there's a picture with an interesting line below it. Go to http://messenger.yahoo.com/windowsvista.php and the 2nd preview picture (of an avatar of a woman with black hair), and check out what music she's listening to. It's not a full band name, but come on, who else could it be?

Do I win for most useless post of the week?

Holy crap man! good eye!

Dayvan Cowboy
They played Roygbiv on 'That Mitchell And Webb Look' on Thursday.

Friendly Stranger
The 'Look around you' piss-take of 70's educational TV programs made in 2001 by the BBC used several bits from Hooper Bay EP, including a few that (I suspect) BoC gave them from that era but not included on the EP (by the sounds of them).
m

Next

Return to Boards of Canada