strangest place to hear boc

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
In a dream last night I heard Alpha And Omega while crawling around some strange 3D maze made out of metal and illuminated by hanging lanterns (it was really weird)
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Eagle Minded
Jango9 wrote:In a dream last night I heard Alpha And Omega while crawling around some strange 3D maze made out of metal and illuminated by hanging lanterns (it was really weird)

That's basically what I imagine when I hear that song.
Red -
Orange - Aquarius
Yellow - Alpha and Omega
Green -
Blue -
Purple - Music is Math

Sherbet Head
That's actually a recurring dream of mine, but I haven't really heard (or remembered, or noticed) Alpha and Omega until just last night. When I say 3D, I mean in a sense that there were lots of ladders and slides and weird, nonsensical architecture. I recall at one point turning more corners than should have been physically possible without clipping earlier passageways.

So in other words, it perfectly fit Alpha And Omega.
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Eagle Minded
I've had dreams like that, but it's in a place that already know, like my school. I'll be walking around and go "What the hell? When did this random hallway get here?"

On-topic, I heard '84 Pontiac Dream in the coffee shop the other day.
Red -
Orange - Aquarius
Yellow - Alpha and Omega
Green -
Blue -
Purple - Music is Math

Eagle Minded
man, seems like a bunch of podcasts have been using BoC tunes lately

99% invisible, milk carton kids, the devil is in the details at 1:06
If you're not happy looking a knob in the face, there's something wrong. - Karl Pilkington

Eagle Minded
I do video-editing as a sidejob and I used Aquarius for a christian gathering event. Luckily, it was the version without the counting.

podcasts use Boc lately

This American Life as well, om something about Alaska, they played Peacock Tail.
Out and about.

Eagle Minded
Watching someone on twitch tv play some I wanna be the guy fangames right now, didn't expect to hear Come to Dust as the background music for one of them. Not too strange, but hearing BoC anywhere other than from myself feels weird honestly.

Eagle Minded
A few days ago, a friend texted me with "Hey, there's a song by that band you like playing over the speakers in the store." I asked them to take a video with some audio, and it was Peacock Tail.
Red -
Orange - Aquarius
Yellow - Alpha and Omega
Green -
Blue -
Purple - Music is Math

Posts Quantity
Nothing is real, On Stargazing live BBC 2 This evening.

Topic - "would alien life be able to spot our planet" showing a picture taken by Voyager, of earth, from where ever it is now.
just a little tiny dot in the distance...

Dayvan Cowboy
they were playing julie and candy like 40 seconds before that when the guy in the football field was talking. they played nothing is real over the "pale blue dot" photo. pretty appropriate!

Eagle Minded
Watching a Panorama on poor treatment of youth criminals in the UK a few days ago, wasn't the sort of place I'd expect Left Side Drive to be used but there it was!

Eagle Minded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_LKzEqlPto

Unsure of if anyone posted this before, but this documentary of the Stanford Prison Experiment uses a ton of BOC and Autechre as it's soundtrack. It's an interesting documentary, check it out if you've never heard of it.

My previous Contemporary Social Issues professor played this for us and I immediately woke up and just about jumped out of my seat as soon as I heard Pete Standing Alone.

Happy Cycler
Gyroscope plays in a documentary about Black Metal titled "Until the Light Takes Us"

It begins as it shows a photograph of 'Dead' lead singer of Mayhem who killed himself with a shotgun, his corpse was subsequently photographed by another band member 'Euronymous' and used as an EP cover. Very fucked up, but it demonstrates the unsettling power of BoC..

Go to roughly 46:30..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFfB3QXVHRE
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
fujee wrote:Gyroscope plays in a documentary about Black Metal titled "Until the Light Takes Us"

It begins as it shows a photograph of 'Dead' lead singer of Mayhem who killed himself with a shotgun, his corpse was subsequently photographed by another band member 'Euronymous' and used as an EP cover. Very fucked up, but it demonstrates the unsettling power of BoC..

Go to roughly 46:30..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFfB3QXVHRE

Of all of the possible uses of Boards of Canada's music this has to be the least appropriate one. That sounds very out of place in a documentary about black metal.

Happy Cycler
I would say it's odd but not inappropriate, the scene is one of unsettled reflection for a member of that scene and Gyroscope goes some way towards setting a tone of disquiet. Had I been director I wouldn't have used it, but maybe this director was a fan and felt it worked well.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Eagle Minded
This I found by accident:
phpBB [media]

A guy telling about the Bible, by throwing empty books on the ground at a bunker. Something tells me that that's not the way bookbinding works.
Out and about.

Sherbet Head
fujee wrote:I would say it's odd but not inappropriate, the scene is one of unsettled reflection for a member of that scene and Gyroscope goes some way towards setting a tone of disquiet. Had I been director I wouldn't have used it, but maybe this director was a fan and felt it worked well.

Well in a documentary about the black metal scene I would have used music from the black metal scene. Burzum's "Rundgang um die Tranzendentale Säule der Singularität" would have fit that clip so much better.

Happy Cycler
Glemselens Elv by Burzum would be my choice.

Friendly Stranger
there's this old documentary about the Stanford Prison Experiment that uses a bunch of different BOC songs (and some Autechre too)

"If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think."

Friendly Stranger
there's this old documentary about the Stanford Prison Experiment that uses a bunch of different BOC songs (and some Autechre too)

"If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think."

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada