BMI repertoire search: New/mysterious tracktitles!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Given that this thread is clearly only about BMI, it seemed appropriate to make a new thread about all registries.

Sherbet Head
Manually moving this from the other post that got locked:

Moebius wrote:In the tradition of the previous threads for BMI and the Harry Fox Agency, I wasted the day looking up the Sandisons in other musical works registries (I found 10 different ones, all told), and found a few more unknown works and other curiosities.

I made a Google spreadsheet and a wiki page on my findings, but here are the highlights:

Unknown tracks:
* PLEASE TELL ME WHY listed only in the Canadian CMRRA registry
The song number suggests it is recent, after THIS BIRD but before ECHUS.
* ENGINE, by just Marcus, only listed in the Dutch BUMA/STEMRA database (switch to English then select "Title catalogue")
* Not by BoC, but a track listed as BUMPER RUHMESHALLE BOARDS OF CANADA by an Ingo Barsekow, who only has one release on Discogs. "RUHMESHALLE" translates to "Hall of fame".

Other stuff:
* Couldn't find either of the Warp20 tracks, SEVEN FORTY SEVEN or SPIRO, in any database
* MELISSA JUICE is the only song on Twoism with Chris H credited
* VOICE099 is listed as an alternate title for WOICE099 in the German GEMA database
* Timeline: Looking at the releases sorted by their International Standard Musical Work Codes, which increase over time, gives perhaps a rough view of the time period these tracks were created. Most of it is as you'd expect, and there's probably other explanations, but there are some interesting quirks:

* "In a Beautiful Place out in the Country" (the track) has the lowest code of any song, even though it was released after Twoism and Music Has the Right to Children (although this isn't the case for some of the registry-specific id numbers).
* Two tracks from Hi Scores ("Nlogax", "Hi Scores") and "Korona" (off MASK200) were registered at the same time
* Two more from Hi Scores ("June 9th", "Balloon") were registered shortly after at the same time as "Soylent Night", "Chinook" and "Happy Cycling", from 3 different releases (and well after the rest of MHTRTC)
* "Sdesis", "Flute Frum Thing" and "Woice099" were all registered at the same time, sometime before TCH
* For some reason, "Peacock Tail" and "A Moment of Clarity" are each numbered after the rest of TCH, which otherwise are in sequential order
* "It's Too Orangey", "Blueberry" and "1986 Summer Fire" were registerd together. For some reason, they have abnormally very high code numbers, as does "Turquoise Hexagon Sun"
* I couldn't find an ISWC "Telephasic Workshop"; the only album track that doesn't appear to have one
* "Korona" from MASK100 and "Trapped" from MASK200 have ISWC entries, but not "The Midas Touch" from MASK500 (speculation - perhaps this is because the later ones weren't issued with Musak aus Strom, who registered them)

Anyway, if anyone is still reading and is tragically obsessed enough to find this interesting, there is plenty more on the spreadsheet and wiki, with links to all the databases if you want to search for yourself.
Last edited by Moebius on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
Oh yes, also forgot:

ISWC database lists a track titled BOARDS OF CANADA credited solely to Michael. Its code suggests it is from sometime around IABPOITC.

Title : BOARDS OF CANADA ISWC: T-011.062.835-7()
Creator(s)
Name Creator-Id Role
SANDISON MICHAEL PETER 00276132470 CA

Sherbet Head
Might as well add the other new song details:

PLEASE TELL ME WHY @ CMRRA:
Song Number: 1604416

Song Title: PLEASE TELL ME WHY
Writer(s): EION, MARCUS
SANDISON, MICHAEL

Publisher(s):
EMI VIRGIN MUSIC, LTD

ENGINE @ Buma/Stemra:
ENGINE
Rightholder Type right IP number Role Society
PUBLISHER PENDING Performing right Publisher
MARCUS EOIN SANDISON Performing right 00276133271 Composer / Author PRS
PUBLISHER PENDING Mechanical right Publisher
MARCUS EOIN SANDISON Mechanical right 00276133271 Composer / Author

Dayvan Cowboy
'Engine' was for a Chris Cunningham commercial

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386123/dvd

Other work: Monkey Drummer (video installation featuring music by Aphex Twin), flex (excerpt from video installation featuring music by Aphex Twin), Mental Wealth (Sony PlayStation commercial), Photocopier (never-before-seen Levis commercial), Engine (Nissan commercial featuring music by Boards of Canada), Windowlicker (bleeped version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiu5zCTUgXQ

Happy Cycler
i tried reading everything in here but failed. Maybe some of those tracks are from an upcoming rare tracks or old tunes cd box set thing? who knows.

Dayvan Cowboy
Moebius, please read the entire topic. Most of the thing you mention have been discussed here.
Borné dans sa nature, infini dans ses vœux, l'homme est un dieu tombé qui se souvient des cieux.

Sherbet Head
Guido wrote:Moebius, please read the entire topic. Most of the thing you mention have been discussed here.

Sorry, I missed PLEASE, but I am aware of the other tracks like SDESIS and BLUEBERRY and deliberately didn't mention them.

Moebius wrote:I made a Google spreadsheet and a wiki page on my findings
impressive, thanks a lot for adding all of this to bocpages

PS: i didn't kill your thread, on the contrary I'm glad you consolidated all of the info over on my bocpages.
(and the spreadsheet is nice too!)

/cheers

Sherbet Head
Interesting finds you guys!!
Thanks a lot!

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada