Losing A Fan

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
mdg wrote:[quote

BOC are never 'not working', they're always in the studio. They've been in the studio solidly since 2006 working on the new records you'll be hearing soon. If we had put a notice up on the official site back in 2006 to the effect that "BOC are in the studio", you would no doubt be complaining now that the notice hadn't been changed in three years.
And once again, the 'enigma' you're talking about doesn't exist, it's created out there by listeners who are impatient for new material.

Resurrecting the OT grammar theme mentioned earlier in the thread, I notice the definitive past participant conjunctive clause plural tense article in that mdg! :P
rED ORAnge YELLow grEEn blUe inDIGo violEt
ricHArd OF yorK GAvE baTTle in vAIn
ROYGBIV
Released! Oh Yes! Gonna Buy It Vinyl!
B&Q

mdg wrote:BOC are never 'not working', they're always in the studio. They've been in the studio solidly since 2006 working on the new records you'll be hearing soon. If we had put a notice up on the official site back in 2006 to the effect that "BOC are in the studio", you would no doubt be complaining now that the notice hadn't been changed in three years.

/cheers for plural!

mdg wrote:And once again, the 'enigma' you're talking about doesn't exist, it's created out there by listeners who are impatient for new material.

I plead guilty. I've been facilitating this so called fan driven enigma status of BoC by continuing the former bocpages hosted by Davidac. The bocpages community is a passionate fan driven collection of tidbits about what happens to be really great music. We talk about it as much as we listen to it. It's great to dissect and get lost in all the possible trivia. It's a complete journey next to the music which a lot of us really appreciate and like to be part of.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel offended or anything. Just wanting to the state the fact that I love BoC and am anxiously awaiting (like most of us) their new output and will be more than happy to spread the news about it on my wiki as soon as the bombs drop.

Dayvan Cowboy
Hey MDG, is the boxset of old material still happening?

Posts Quantity
mdg wrote:And once again, the 'enigma' you're talking about doesn't exist, it's created out there by listeners who are impatient for new material.

This is not the whole truth. What about the 'red moon' story appearing and disappearing without a single word stated afterwards? What about 'the internet is evil'? What about the old islands-website with unreleased music in it? What about the 666 clip an Warp's website featuring songs of AFOT?

All this things happened without a single word spoken about afterwards. And THAT's what imho created the enigma around boc.

Maybe you want to tell us something with all this stuff and we're just to dumb or too obsessed to understand it. But then, please, don't let it disappear without saying a single word about it for all times. These things are damn fascinating and you know it.

I pretty much think most people here are patient enough to wait for the new album. But no one here understands all those things that happened.
This gave us the old, warm feeling of childhood when we were not able to understand the world. Just the feeling that relates to bocs (old) music. Nevertheless if we never get a chance to understand anything, even after a half a dozen years, frustration takes the upper hand.
alone alive again

rdy2bz wrote:

This is not the whole truth. What about the 'red moon' story appearing and disappearing without a single word stated afterwards? What about 'the internet is evil'? What about the old islands-website with unreleased music in it? What about the 666 clip an Warp's website featuring songs of AFOT?

All this things happened without a single word spoken about afterwards. And THAT's what imho created the enigma around boc.

Maybe you want to tell us something with all this stuff and we're just to dumb or too obsessed to understand it. But then, please, don't let it disappear without saying a single word about it for all times. These things are damn fascinating and you know it.

I pretty much think most people here are patient enough to wait for the new album. But no one here understands all those things that happened.
This gave us the old, warm feeling of childhood when we were not able to understand the world. Just the feeling that relates to bocs (old) music. Nevertheless if we never get a chance to understand anything, even after a half a dozen years, frustration takes the upper hand.

1) redmoon
Most likely not intended for us, but probably for their close friends and relatives; unfortunately the official web site was a not so ideal place to promote such an event, a bit naive so to say. Maybe that's why they remained silent about it in the first place.

2) the internet is evil
Most likely refering to all the false gossip about their so called enigmatic persona.

3) old islands-website with unreleased music
Just a nice site a web designer created. He was most likely given some tracks/snippets which he could use to enrich the experience. It's thrilling to use some unheard snippets, makes it more special, more attractive. Nothing more to it, imho. Doesn't need a justification by BoC imo.

4) 666 clip
Yet again like 3) a nice piece of work by a designer, albeit a bit cliché to be honest. And using unheard tracks is again more thrilling than using the familiar old bunch.

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:1) redmoon
Most likely not intended for us, but probably for their close friends and relatives; unfortunately the official web site was a not so ideal place to promote such an event, a bit naive so to say. Maybe that's why they remained silent about it in the first place.

2) the internet is evil
Most likely refering to all the false gossip about their so called enigmatic persona.

3) old islands-website with unreleased music
Just a nice site a web designer created. He was most likely given some tracks/snippets which he could use to enrich the experience. It's thrilling to use some unheard snippets, makes it more special, more attractive. Nothing more to it, imho. Doesn't need a justification by BoC imo.

4) 666 clip
Yet again like 3) a nice piece of work by a designer, albeit a bit cliché to be honest. And using unheard tracks is again more thrilling than using the familiar old bunch.

See what I mean: you have your own theory. You call that likely, but you cannot know.

Another phenomena is the appearance of mdg himself. I'm sure the most people around believe he is the person we want him to be. But until the time is ripe for a proof, we can't claim we know for sure he is. His actions sometimes even raise the mystery. Why was he talking about him not being allowed to give out further infos?

BOC needs not to justfy for any of its actions. If they decide to do anything for the future we will accept that.

The remaining uncertainties are the origin of the aura around boc. Blaming the impatient fans for that is wrong. That's the essence of what I want to say.
alone alive again

rdy2bz wrote:Another phenomena is the appearance of mdg himself. I'm sure the most people around believe he is the person we want him to be. But until the time is ripe for a proof, we can't claim we know for sure he is. His actions sometimes even raise the mystery. Why was he talking about him not being allowed to give out further infos?

Trust me, we know he is who he claims to be. You need proof? He registered on this board using a mail alias linked to hexagonsun.com which is as we all know a legit boc address. You need to have full access to the mail domain in order to get your account verified.

Well that's settled then.

And why he is not allowed to talk even more? That's an easy question with an even easier answer: he can't spoil the beans before Warp wants it to be spoiled. They have the rights you know. NDA: non-disclosure-agreement.

Dayvan Cowboy
rdy2bz wrote:Another phenomena is the appearance of mdg himself. I'm sure the most people around believe he is the person we want him to be. But until the time is ripe for a proof, we can't claim we know for sure he is. His actions sometimes even raise the mystery. Why was he talking about him not being allowed to give out further infos?

Well, like any artist who wants to retain some control over how their work is rolled out to the world, I'm sure that BoC want to let folks know what they are doing at their own pace. mdg not being allowed to say more is most likely nothing more sinister than exercising common courtesy on his part to the band.

edit: Or what Fredd-E said above. :)

The remaining uncertainties are the origin of the aura around boc. Blaming the impatient fans for that is wrong. That's the essence of what I want to say.

I've never personally got the feeling that we're blamed for anything by them. It's more that the gaps in the listener's knowledge ache to be filled with something. That's the nature of the reflective haunted music they make. By giving us less concrete information our imaginations have been given the space to breathe. There's plenty of other bands I love and know far less about.

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:He registered on this board using a mail alias linked to hexagonsun.com

Well, that's kinda convincing to me. Thx for that! :)

IanRedpoint wrote:I've never personally got the feeling that we're blamed for anything by them.

Don't misunderstand me. I didn't feel offended or so. Just wanted to point out to mdg that boc themselves or at least their surrounding are indeed responsible for the 'magical aura' around boc.
alone alive again

Site Admin
Yet another episode has passed... :roll:

Aren't BoC fans the most insatiable out there?
Before this board was up we only had a few sources where we could find out what they were cooking. Isn't this part of what they are? Just an announcement a few weeks/months in advance wis enough for me.. I don't really want to know that they are busy creating a record. This way it only feels like it's taking them ages to finish it.

Sometimes I think we would be better off without the net but yet again we have mdg around now to temper all the false stuff. Like Fredd-E pointed out, I know he is using a legit email address and he has proven himself in the past. Have a little trust and don't make this a neverending discussion.
Life is a Frequency

Sherbet Head
boc fans are not fat kids who want more food

they spread the good word about the brothers on a regular basis,like everyone on the board I have got countless people into their music

less dirt kicked in face cheers 8)

Posts Quantity
Tarsier wrote:if anything has caused boards of canada to lose their "magic" it is the fans who swipe their style with copycat music, not them giving choosing not to give updates.

I don't agry entirely. A style is partly created by experimenting and influencing. It's rather logical to trie and recreate things you like that were done by other people in that phase.
Of course there's selfsufficient peeps around thant can drop a fart in a decent flatB and call it there style. But that's more the character of the maker and less the character of the music.
Them not giving updates is a nice chance to let the music speak for itself. (I hope) There still and will stay in the phase of exploring and experimenting in order to create personal music Without copying themselves. It is after all an undefinable process that serves as a mirror to the self. One day you like to kiss that mirror, the other day you want to smash it.

This morning on my bike to work I heard a track by Cathode and had to check my player to see if it wasn't a boc track I forgot about (it was on shuffle). Does that make Cathode a copycat? Not to me.

I was disappointed that the latest update of "new output" and "announcement soon" resulted in the warp collector's item. Oops, I pooped. But then again, it wasn't their announcement. Their site still doens't mention an anouncement on the warp-collector thing. Only t-shirts, now in black and white. Ready for the funeral...
whooosh

Boqurant
The thing you should remember is that the mystique can be a positively magical part of the experience. BOC are normal guys and I hear about very normal things when I ask. And knowing where they're coming from, I completely understand the 'internet is evil' comment.

a.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Sherbet Head
I want a new album.

Dayvan Cowboy
I want a bacon sarnie.

Sherbet Head
mdg giving an update about a
pre-twoism material boxset in
the works would make me achieve
an orgasm.

Sherbet Head
Tekmosis wrote:mdg giving an update about a
pre-twoism material boxset in
the works would make me achieve
an orgasm.

That's almost like a poem.. :D

Sherbet Head
Aesthetics wrote:Yet another episode has passed... :roll:

Aren't BoC fans the most insatiable out there?

They may have imprinted the albums into their DNA while on powerful psychedelic drugs! Who is to blame?

Posts Quantity
"C'est fini la comédie"

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada