BOC Campfire Mixtape

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
niknak wrote:I've posted about it on other threads, but I should add here that Mike himself helped finish off this mixtape and sent me the final couple of tracks that were basically impossible to find back then, with the note that he was uncomfortable with online filesharing of music and that they were only for distributing to the "good guys at twoism".

Well that's nice of him. When was that?

Sherbet Head
Yes, it was very nice of him. It was a couple of years after the article when the thread was bumped for some reason.

Boqurant
Very nice tunes on here. Thanks for pumping the thread again! :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Any chance of uploading or messaging me the playlist??

Sherbet Head
This excellent gentleman assembled it on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmExGAfaAIRPvXtyLHJ1DMtvoSuA5kp08

Posts Quantity
I appreciate that this mix is so folk-centric and analog. Obviously it does fall in line with the "around the campfire" theme but it is so different than the music they produce.

Posts Quantity
I'm more surprised that they post here (as per niknak's info on other threads). Were they active at some point, niknak?
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Sherbet Head
No, they were never active. I don't know about Mike, but the account Marcus used to contact me posted literally once, and that post was lost in the noise and never seriously linked to him, and was never logged in again after he contacted me in 2009.

I've always had the impression they are happy about this forums existence, very benevolent towards us Twoismers. There have been a few interactions over the years (e.g. the image header during the TH arg, and i believe the mods may have got some goodies from them at some point), but as far as i know that was all done via mdg.

niknak wrote:No, they were never active. I don't know about Mike, but the account Marcus used to contact me posted literally once, and that post was lost in the noise and never seriously linked to him, and was never logged in again after he contacted me in 2009.

I've always had the impression they are happy about this forums existence, very benevolent towards us Twoismers. There have been a few interactions over the years (e.g. the image header during the TH arg, and i believe the mods may have got some goodies from them at some point), but as far as i know that was all done via mdg.

MDG is key indeed. And I can confirm they are in favor of bocpages and this forum. I’ve received a goodies package twice since 2005 as a token of appreciation.

However I was not aware of the account used by Marcus. Interesting!

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:
niknak wrote:No, they were never active. I don't know about Mike, but the account Marcus used to contact me posted literally once, and that post was lost in the noise and never seriously linked to him, and was never logged in again after he contacted me in 2009.

MDG is key indeed. And I can confirm they are in favor of bocpages and this forum. I’ve received a goodies package twice since 2005 as a token of appreciation.

However I was not aware of the account used by Marcus. Interesting!

What was the second time? I remember the first one with some keychains and whatnot

Posts Quantity
I wonder if they still lurk from time to time, I imagined a situation that would be kind of similar to this mixtape: what if one of them or mdg give us a complete tracklisting of the Societas X Tape? there are still a few tracks that we haven't identified yet and I'm dying to know the name of the artist or name of the track for the MBV'ish interlude at 24:30, I wanna check their work and stuff out!
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Boqurant
fefor wrote:what if one of them or mdg give us a complete tracklisting of the Societas X Tape? there are still a few tracks that we haven't identified yet

Mike, Marcus, if you send me the source of the fretless bass track from SxT...I promise I won't tell anyone :)

Posts Quantity
And I'm not even asking for files or anything, just want to know the artist - track name :D
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Eagle Minded
THIS is the one I need ID'd. Ever since my first listen of Societas X, this was the one track that stood out to me, more than any of the others.

The uploader obviously assumes it's unreleased BoC, and that wouldn't surprise me as it's totally in their wheelhouse, but part of me kinda hopes it's not because I'd like to obtain a proper version of it before I die :lol:

Posts Quantity
Sherbet Head wrote:THIS is the one I need ID'd. Ever since my first listen of Societas X, this was the one track that stood out to me, more than any of the others.

The uploader obviously assumes it's unreleased BoC, and that wouldn't surprise me as it's totally in their wheelhouse, but part of me kinda hopes it's not because I'd like to obtain a proper version of it before I die :lol:

Comment on the video speculates that it could be "Powerline" from Catalog 3. Of course, the only thing to go on is the track length which is supposedly similar. To me, it does sound unmistakably like early BOC (or perhaps Wheeltower?? :wink: ) the backing synths are pure BoC. And it sounds like the old tapes tunes in that rough early - but also inspired - way.

Happy Cycler
Giving identification to a track based solely on length seems like the most inaccurate thing ever.

Dayvan Cowboy
I put together this mixtape finally and I am blown away by how much I loved it immediately. The John Denver, Ween, and Yo La Tengo tracks especially. Coincidentally, the "Farewell Andromeda" album by John Denver is suddenly more interesting after hearing about a removed thread on this forum

I've created this mixtape on Spotify. Two tracks are unavailable though.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4ts4v ... cRcnY9MPAQ

Posts Quantity
phpBB [media]

Friendly Stranger
I wonder if they'll ever let us know what the mystery tracks were in societas x tape. I mean, they don't even need to give us the tracks like they did with this mix, just drop the names!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada