What's your favorite BoC song?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
For the past week ive pretty much had Skyliner on repeat and there for my current favourite track (who knows what it will be next week hehe)

p.s This time in a couple of months we may a whole array of new favourite tracks.. too freaking exciting!!

Eagle Minded
An Eagle in Your Mind, or Kid for Today, or Turquoise Hexagon Sun, or Music is Math, or Telephasic Workshop... or Melissa Juice. There are far too many!

Sherbet Head
Personal favorites as of late include Open The Light, Julie And Candy, '84 Pontiac Dream, Melissa Juice, Basefree, Kid For Today, Zoetrope.

Dayvan Cowboy
So hard to pick a favorite. I might as well go back to my experience listening to MHTRTC for the first time when it came out in the US. At the time, I mainly listened to a lot of goth and industrial, and read the Alternative Press review of the album that gave it such glowing praise. The description of the album must have touched some part of me I didn't realize was there and I picked it up at the store right away.

An Eagle in Your Mind made me "get it" right away, and alongside Wildlife Analysis's warm sound and the mysterious/psychedelic title of Color of the Fire and the samples, their "thing" all quickly made sense to me and I've been onboard ever since.

So after this very verbose description, I have to pick that sequence of songs at the front of MHTRTC as there still to this day, there being no better way to introduce someone to their work. In a long term way, it changed the way I viewed both music and the possibilities of the mind. Powerful stuff.

Sherbet Head
Whitewater is probably my all time favorite. It plucks my heartstrings.

Posts Quantity
Dawn Chorus by far.

Sherbet Head
Dawn Chorus is up there for me too. I think it's a really hopeful song. I also love Macquarie Ridge for the same reason.

Also I never hear this song mentioned much either as a fave or least fave, but I love Seeya Later.

Friendly Stranger
According to my most listened playlist.

1. Happy Cycling

2. Roygbiv

3. Aquarius

4. Audiotrack 12a

5. Satellite Anthem Icarus

But I do love Skyliner and so many others as well!!!

Friendly Stranger
Telephasic Workshop
Sunshine Recorder
Wildlife Analysis
An Eagle in Your Mind
Over the Horizon Radar
Oscar See Through Red Eye
Macquarie Ridge

... and most recently Left Side Drive.

Posts Quantity
Crisps wrote:According to my most listened playlist.

1. Happy Cycling

2. Roygbiv

3. Aquarius

4. Audiotrack 12a

5. Satellite Anthem Icarus

But I do love Skyliner and so many others as well!!!
Great choices, very similar to my own. Except, audiotrack 12a is one that I've never cared for, for me it sounds like an extremely cheesy 80's synth pop track of little value... sorry. Audiotrack 13a is the one I really love.

My top tracks would have to be:

Happy Cycling
An Eagle in Your Mind
Aquarius (first BoC track I heard and still very special to me)
The Beach at Redpoint

Turquoise Hexagon Sun / Hi Scores / Everything You Do Is a Balloon

Eagle Minded
Everything You Do Is A Balloon. The first BoC track I ever heard and the one that made me do a double take and pretty much fall in love with this band at first sight. Still my favourite and no matter how many times I listen to it, I still get a little tingle up my spine every time that little counter melody comes in on top of the brooding synths.

Friendly Stranger
Chinook

Friendly Stranger
Yeah That's Right wrote:Great choices, very similar to my own. Except, audiotrack 12a is one that I've never cared for, for me it sounds like an extremely cheesy 80's synth pop track of little value... sorry. Audiotrack 13a is the one I really love.

My top tracks would have to be:

Happy Cycling
An Eagle in Your Mind
Aquarius (first BoC track I heard and still very special to me)
The Beach at Redpoint

Turquoise Hexagon Sun / Hi Scores / Everything You Do Is a Balloon

I just love the vocal sample and the beat on 12a. This video is where I first heard the tune, it goes really well with the Hubble telescope images, and it's criminally under watched at 5000 views in 2 years!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_wyYtNgTPM

Eagle Minded
Betacord, in January wrote:I think I've actually done it...

#1) Alpha And Omega
#2) Everything You Do Is A Balloon
#3) Oscar See Through Red Eye
#4) Telephasic Workshop *Live at Warp10*
#5) Skyliner

The live Telephasic recording is not great; have opted to technically omit it, the rest are of the catalogue proper - but consider it unofficially joint 4th.

Interim Top 5:

#1) Alpha And Omega
#2) Everything You Do Is A Balloon
#3) Oscar See Through Red Eye
#4) Skyliner
#5) Reach For The Dead

Sherbet Head
Buckie High is up there for me too. It's weird to me that I don't think any song off of geogaddi has ever been my favorite, even though it was my favorite album for awhile. I have a hard time splitting up the LPs, I always think of them as a whole entity.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Posts Quantity
my all time favorite will forever and always be Satellite Anthem Icarus. the guitar tone is amazing and the drums hit so hard. great for a nice summers night

Posts Quantity
I personally love the more ambient, largely less beat and melody oriented BoC compositions. Olson, Sixtyniner, and 747 all tug at my heartstrings. There is no Boards song that speaks to me more, though, than 5.9.78. I wouldn't hesitate to say it's probably the most outwardly ethereal and heavenly sounding piece they've ever done - and the fact that it's left to be found amidst the murkiness of the Old Tunes tapes makes it even better.

Also, although I'd hardly call it my favorite, the fifty-seven seconds of 'Duffy' that we have heard are pure bliss - if we had a full version of that it could very well top my list.

Friendly Stranger
I am so surprised that in all of this time no one has mentioned Last Walk Around Mirror Lake :O <<-- seriously have a look at this!

also some other favorites would be: Roygbiv, Hi-scores (original), Buckie High, and Kid For Today

Posts Quantity
Kopriva wrote:I am so surprised that in all of this time no one has mentioned Last Walk Around Mirror Lake :O <<-- seriously have a look at this!

also some other favorites would be: Roygbiv, Hi-scores (original), Buckie High, and Kid For Today

Yes! totally forgot about that song even though i was listening to it today haha. that video makes me feel like im floating. perfect fit for the song

Boqurant
Kid for today. Heard from the Telegraph Lines.
If you don't have the dik sometime, then the art is not about human race. Then is not art. This my theory.

http://instagram.com/jamesyboyyyy

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada