GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
84?

https://twitter.com/boctransmission

Opothecary wrote:When it rains it pours in this thread!

I won't quote the wall of text but I agree with you about RDJ breadmaker.

It's nice to have this new stuff, but its definitely keeping within his aesthetic of chaos and mischief that he has always had, I think its something that you need to come to terms with as a fan of his. It requires a different kind of patience compared to being into BoC, where it's just a lot of waiting for things to happen, but once they do its pretty straightforward.

Regarding the online store, I look it as kind of a commercialized version of his Soundcloud dump. I wouldn't want BoC to take this exact approach but could you imagine something like Geogaddi growing a few of its unreleased tracks recorded around the same time as the rest of the album, here and there over time? It would be great, but tying into what you said, Geogaddi is Geogaddi, it shouldn't be messed with, and I think BoC has too much respect for the form to fiddle with their proper releases like that. They've never come out and said that specifically, it's just a feeling that you get.

Lastly, I agree that I was a lot more excited about 4 minutes of new BoC than I was about his online store (I guess that's why we're here), but I'm very happy to have both...

Dayvan Cowboy

Ain't that something? I think they will do the same thing that they did on March 28th, and wipe out an existing like sometime soon. 3 consecutive tweets (2 in the same day) seems really excessive for a single topic, so it's almost like we're being trolled now.

6/14/16 - Left Side Drive like
10/14/16 - Left Side Drive tweet

3/28/17 - Dayvan Cowboy
7/28/17 - Sometimes Remixes vinyl released
11/28/17 - ???

21/84

Dayvan Cowboy
Black t-shirts back in stock, TH poster/print disappeared again

https://bleep.com/artist/78-boards-of-canada

Dayvan Cowboy
In honor of the Twitter account hitting a combined 84 tweets and likes, I will put it all out on the table now, a few days ahead of schedule, so we'll unpack the Peacock Tail post from last year here too as promised. As of July 26th (the latest tweet), we are 77 days away from a potentially important date. A little bit of trivia, July 31st, 2017 (1 year anniversary of Peacock Tail) is 420 days past June 6th, 2016 when this whole thing started.

Early on in the pattern last year, after the initial Macquarie Ridge post on 6/6 (which has a timestamp of 22:05 in Macquarie Ridge/New Zealand's timezone on that Facebook post, more on that number later) they began an interesting sequence:

7/7 Broken Drum (retweet of a fan post from July 2)
7/31 Peacock Tail
8/24 Nothing is Real

This sequence is notable because it spans a period of 48 days, each post separated by 24 days, per the typical pattern last year. Peacock Tail itself is interesting for a couple of reasons. The "video" is just a still photo of the NBC Peacock logo. For history buffs, this logo was first used on May 22, 1956 (5/22):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_of_N ... .931960.29

The timestamp of the tweet when viewed in say, Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, Canada, is 2:25pm, a reverse of May 22 (remember, Macquarie Ridge is also 22:05 when viewed in the appropriate time zone). Add them together (522 + 225), you get 747, a fun easter egg but not relevant for our purposes. On the other hand, 5x22 (or 22x5 for that matter) multiplies to 110. More on that later.

Initially after March 28th, 2017 with the Dayvan Cowboy post that day, it was speculated that something would occur on 15/6/2017 due to the pattern of videos on their YouTube playlist in relation to the order of their Twitter posts:

15 - Nothing is Real (August 24th)
6 - Left Side Drive (October 10th)
1 - Open the Light (December 8th)
7 - Dayvan Cowboy (March 28th)

This ended up being somewhat of a fakeout, but it took on proper meaning 2 days later than expected after dropping the first number in the sequence, as the Mr. Mistake vinyl was announced on June 17th (6-1-7) rendering "Nothing is Real" meaningless here (but that 15 does have meaning elsewhere later on)

Let's pause to discuss the importance of re-use of numbers. In the case of Mr. Mistake this year, check this out:

February 17, 2017 - Mr. Mistake Instrumental released (2/17)
July 21, 2017 - Mr. Mistake vinyl release (7/21)

Now we review all the relevant dates this year

March 28 (3x28=84) - Dayvan Cowboy video
June 7th (7x6=42) - T-shirts
June 17th (6-1-7 from Twitter/YouTube) - Mr. Mistake Vinyl announced
July 21st (7x21=147, or alternately 84+42+21=147) - Mr. Mistake Vinyl released
July 26th - more chatter about the Mr. Mistake vinyl
July 28th - Sometimes Remixes vinyl released

We have this steady flow of activity beginning on March 28th through July 28th. It calls to mind the exact 4 month gap last year between BoC liking a video, and then tweeting it themselves:

June 14th (6/14) - Left Side Drive liked
October 14th (10/14) - Left Side Drive tweeted

Now in 2017, we have this:

March 28th - Dayvan Cowboy video
July 28th - Sometimes Remix (first truly new material of the year)

We have room to increment by 4 months one more time this year (November 28th)

Soundcloud has been an interesting source for clues. The band intentionally "broke" their Geogaddi album there to hint at the Mr. Mistake vinyl release date, by giving the album a release year of 2007 and replacing track 21 with an Aphex Twin tune (7/21)

The other thing of note there is the scrambled order of Tomorrow's Harvest tracks in the default view. The first 4 tracks are as follows:

10 - Palace Posy
11 - Split Your Infinities
17 - Semena Mertvykh
2 - Reach for the Dead

This breaks down to 10/11/2017 if you want to read it as a date. Is that October 11th or November 10th? Pretty ambiguous. If you multiply 10x11. you end up with 110, just like with the Peacock Tail post (5x22=110 or 22x5=110 depending on whether you look at the historical date, or the post's timestamp, its obviously all the same) 110 aside, 10 + 11 = 21, 21 being the only missing number in this year's expected sequence so far, so it's worth looking at.

If you increment July 28th by another 4 months, you get November 28th. Warp has a typical 7 week window between an announcement and a release, so if we take November 28th as a potential release date and roll it back by 48 days, we get October 11th for an announcement date.

I've mentioned before that they like to play with subliminals on their video playlist. A key video is Video 66 - Constants are Changing. The perception is that while social media posts in 2016 were divisible by 6, the ones in 2017 are divided by 7, this helps provide an illusion that everything in 2017 is a "reverse" of 2016 (ie 24 vs 42). You can do some interesting things with this change in constants regarding the playlist:

Video 66 - Constants are Changing

Video 24 (New Seeds) + Video 42 (csch, or Cosecha, or Harvest)
Video 15 (Nothing is Real) + Video 51 (An Eagle in your Mind, or track 2 / 17 on MHTRTC)
Video 33 - Aquarius (same both ways, this video goes into reverse at one point)

The only other time Aquarius appears in the playlist is at slot 110 (10x11)

51 is interesting when we look at this years relevant events that fall on the 28th of the month, every 4 months:

3/28/17 (Dayvan Cowboy)
7/28/17 (Sometimes Remixes Vinyl)
11/28/17 (???)

21/84/51 (51 being Eagle in your Mind in the playlist, or "Track 2/17", or 2017 if you want to use your imagination)

Lastly, to put a bow on it, treating the Left Side Drive posts from last year as hints on how to proceed this year:

6/14/16 - 3:31am MT (Video 110 (10x11) - Aquarius V3 (Video 110) was published to YouTube on March 31, 2009)

10/14/16 - 3:11am MT - Tweet from March 11th, 2012 was deleted on March 28th, 2017. More important, "3:11" describes the theoretical exact 8 month range in 2017 between 3/28/17 (first post of the year when the 3/11 post was deleted) and 11/28/17 (release?) with "Sometimes" in the exact middle on 7/28, a similar approach to the 48 day/3 post pattern in 2016 (7/7 -> 7/31 -> 8/24)

That's my final word on this whole thing. Ultimately, I wouldn't even really call it an ARG, it's playing with subliminal messaging iin a social media environment - a fancy version of the black box leading up to TH.

I'll field any questions but the theorizing is finally over on my part. Happy early 420 in July!

Posts Quantity
Cool story bro, totally not buyin it tho

And you convieniently left out their latest material -sexual objects- in your theory too

Dayvan Cowboy
Cyclosa wrote:Cool story bro, totally not buyin it tho

And you convieniently left out their latest material -sexual objects- in your theory too

It's okay if you didn't read the whole thing, I probably wouldn't have either if I hadn't written it.

Dayvan Cowboy
I know people are skeptical but I don't see any harm in Opothocary's mathematical thought exercises and dot connecting keeping people on their toes until some new material drops.

Boqurant
Opothecary wrote:
Cyclosa wrote:Cool story bro, totally not buyin it tho

It's okay if you didn't read the whole thing, I probably wouldn't have either if I hadn't written it.

Don't take any guff from these swine Opothecary. Even if it's a wildly inaccurate thought experiment, it's fun reading nonetheless.

Sherbet Head
I'm kind of disappointed Opothocary couldn't work in a connection to the coming solar eclipse on 21 August.

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:I'm kind of disappointed Opothocary couldn't work in a connection to the coming solar eclipse on 21 August.

You make a good point, it's something that I theorized about heavily 10 or 20 pages back in this thread, back when I first realized we were playing with 7s instead of 6s this year....before I eventually talked myself out of it.

It was actually the release date for Mr. Mistake that put me off the idea. I thought at one time we would end up with a sequence like 21 > 42 > 84 > 168 (168 being 8x21, the day of the eclipse) but we ended up with 21 > 42 > 84 > 147 (7x21 being Mr. Mistake's release date or looking at it differently, 84 + 42 +21 = 147, being the combination of all 3 numbers in the rest of the sequence)

21 is the one number not yet exposed in either version of the assumed sequence, meaning that would likely be October 11th or November 10th. November 28th as a release date has been very tempting given the Dayvan Cowboy post (3/28) and release of the Sometimes remix (7/28) repeating the same type of sequence as the Left Side Drive posts last year (6/14 > 10/14) and in this years case leaving 11/28 open to make another 4 month leap from the first 2. and backing up ~7 weeks from that date lands us at October 11th (10/11) being the logical date that it would be announced.

October 11th (10+11=21) actually works incredibly well as the release date instead of the announcement date when using the eclipse theory instead, its the same ~7 week gap between announcement and release.

August 21st -> October 11th (51 days)
October 11th -> November 28th (48 days)

As I mentioned in my last post, TH had a 51 day window between the RSD incident and its release date.

I'm going to quickly resurrect my months old speculation about the eclipse date to see how it all fits in with what we know now, near the assumed end.

- I had talked previously about the "Over the Horizon Radar" theory, which were posts 78-84 in the YouTube playlist, 79 being "Over the Horizon Radar" - the idea being that these numbers were the combined number of likes and tweets on their Twitter account, 84 being the assumed conclusion (Ready Lets Go) which is where we now stand today. Whatever piece of news we hear from them next is likely the main event.

We were stuck at 79 for the longest time over the winter and spring (dipping to 78 briefly on 3/28 with the deletion of the 3/11/12 tweet - which was "Hey Saturday Sun" but is now marked private) - this range of videos is full of sun related imagery (Hey Saturday Sun, Twoism "Sunset", the sun in the video for Tears from the Compound Eye) - the repeated Twoism in entries 81 and 82 did end up lining up with the fact that we got numbers 80 and 81 on the same date (June 7th), and 82 and 83 on the same date (June 17th)

- I also reminded us all that Transmisiones Ferox (track 7) and Sundown (track 14) are "twins", something discussed around the same time as TH's release - add them (7+14=21), their track times (2:16 and 2:18) averaging to 2:17, Video playlist entries 127 and 129 adding up to 256 (or 2:56, the length of Gemini, aka the twins) - with Sundown in particular making us think of the eclipse. It would have been pretty clever if they knew they would release something this year when they assembled TH - not a bad way to give yourself a deadline I suppose.

Here once again are the first few tracks of TH in the order that they appear on Soundcloud, with a special notation for what's hanging out just below the assumed date that it spells out. Could the eclipse announcement happen? Who knows? I like that it's also just before August 22nd, one of the dates speculated about last year back when some of us thought they would let us know what they were up to much earlier on than they have.

I have a feeling they built it out in this way to buy themselves an extra 7 weeks at the end if they needed it - the overall puzzle seems to revolve around October 11th with really interesting dates preceding and following it by 7 weeks on either side.

Sherbet Head
I love that....

"you make a good point...." *writes a novella*

Dayvan Cowboy
northernlite wrote:I love that....

"you make a good point...." *writes a novella*

I did have a good laugh at myself after I posted it, but to be fair, the eclipse stuff was THE running theory until Mr. Mistake/Sometimes got into the mix this summer, so all those ideas were already pretty fully formed.

It could happen, it's mostly pessimism on my part, expecting them to do something at the latest possible date this year stopping me from buying into it very much. Hope I'm wrong, would really love some tunes for the autumn.

Posts Quantity
arvy wrote:2020 is my bet.
it's not that far away.
and it's just a cool combination of numbers.
2020 02 20

I wonder if they would take such time-gap for this date. In my opinion it is very fitting for the BOC release, very cool date. But Opothecary theories are just so well putted you just want something happen on those dates...
Palace Posy

Dayvan Cowboy
I am not prepared to deal with a 2020 release.

When they stated that the gap between albums would be shorter this time, I wasn't expecting that to mean seven years instead of eight years. Do you think every time they get close to finishing the album Kevin Shields rings up and says 'Nope, not yet'

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:I am not prepared to deal with a 2020 release.

When they stated that the gap between albums would be shorter this time, I wasn't expecting that to mean seven years instead of eight years. Do you think every time they get close to finishing the album Kevin Shields rings up and says 'Nope, not yet'

I don't know.
Palace Posy

Sherbet Head
if i had to guess.

i would say that they have their new website up an running by January 2018. and release along with it a bunch of artwork and music, both new and old.

Sherbet Head
Another interactive site would be pretty cool
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Boqurant
Valotonin wrote:When they stated that the gap between albums would be shorter this time,

Sorry but where did they say this??

Dayvan Cowboy
A
U - Uritual - Video 128
G - Gemini - 2:56
U - Uritual - Video 128
S - Sundown - Video 127 - 2:16
T - Transmisiones Ferox - Video 129 - 2:18

Posts Quantity
kennychiwa147 wrote:
Valotonin wrote:When they stated that the gap between albums would be shorter this time,

Sorry but where did they say this??

nowhere, haha

Opothecary wrote:A
U - Uritual - Video 128
G - Gemini - 2:56
U - Uritual - Video 128
S - Sundown - Video 127 - 2:16
T - Transmisiones Ferox - Video 129 - 2:18

i like that!
Palace Posy

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada