GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Radiohead have been so refreshing over the past decade. Just getting together went they want and slamming out a record as soon as it's done and good enough. If Boards of Canada are taking a leaf out of that book, I can't help but agree that it would be a relief. I've not heard someone put it like that before, Josh, but it IS tedious isn't it? It doesn't mean anything. It doesn't have any allure. If this is a breadcrumb trail, I doubt i'd have been compelled enough to follow it. So, I would hope, that the bros. are capable of more than this. It probably is nothing more than administrative shuffling. I run my own site, which has a tie in YouTube, Spotify, Twitch, Twitter blah blah blah blah blah And I make minor changes and mistakes in my running of them all the time that, if I actually had a following, would probably have them coming up with all kinds of theories. This all just strikes me as people shuffling things around, which MAY hint towards something coming. It also may not. Frankly, I feel there are far more interesting things to discuss than fruitless speculation. I know this is the thread for it, fine, but this seems to be the only BoC-based thread anyone's really clicking on lately.

Dayvan Cowboy
The idea is that this isn't a high effort ARG of any kind - it demands nothing from the average person browsing the content of the accounts - the average response from most people is "new album when?" without any attempt to contemplate it at any deeper level. You talk about Radiohead, but I thought they did something similar with social media in the runup to AMSP...? Forgive me if I'm wrong, I like Radiohead but I'm not a fanatic, I just remembering hearing some sort of theories about their social media accounts awhile back.

Anyways, they are at a total of 83 tweets and likes now. If they hadn't deleted an old tweet from 2012 earlier this year, they would be at 84 right now. Why delete one apparently random thing, if not to line things up in a particular way? The tweet about Bowie's death was not in the cards for what they had planned, so something else had to go.

The deleted tweet in question was from March 11th, 2012. That aside, check this out:

Posts Quantity
As far as I know, and I do consider myself a Radiohead fanatic, there was very little build up to the AMSP thing at all. It was simply a case of them disappearing from the internet for a day or a so. It was interesting, and drummed up interest very nicely but i'm not sure there was much more to it than that.

I don't actually fault any of your work, Opothecary. It's interesting and i'll be happy to eat my words if hindsight proves you to have made some prophetic observations. I think my issue is that I was away from Twoism for a while and I've come back to find that things are a little dead around here (on the BoC chat front at least) and this is the only thread getting significant attention. It was a reactionary post and I feel a bit daft about it!

Sherbet Head
I'd be severely disappointed if this was their new album campaign, it's about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Dayvan Cowboy
warphead wrote:I'd be severely disappointed if this was their new album campaign, it's about as exciting as watching paint dry.

It's slightly more interesting than watching the black box on the old website, and it serves the same purpose.

Im sure things will get exciting when it's time for them to get exciting, you know?

Boqurant
I believe wholeheartedly that BoC will never do an ARG to promote new material again. It just doesn't feel like something they would do, given their track record of changing things up with every release. The only time I can see it happening again is if they were releasing something related to TH.

That's the trouble with creating an ARG, people are constantly going to look for what isn't there for all the new releases. I mean, look at Death Grips. They did an ARG ONCE to promote NLDW, and people still go crazy with the predictions.

Boqurant
Witto wrote:I believe wholeheartedly that BoC will never do an ARG to promote new material again. It just doesn't feel like something they would do, given their track record of changing things up with every release. The only time I can see it happening again is if they were releasing something related to TH.

That's the trouble with creating an ARG, people are constantly going to look for what isn't there for all the new releases. I mean, look at Death Grips. They did an ARG ONCE to promote NLDW, and people still go crazy with the predictions.

people go crazy?

good.
Palace Posy

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:
warphead wrote:I'd be severely disappointed if this was their new album campaign, it's about as exciting as watching paint dry.

It's slightly more interesting than watching the black box on the old website, and it serves the same purpose.

Im sure things will get exciting when it's time for them to get exciting, you know?

While I do like your guessing games (keep em up), it's starting to feel like all of the shuffling around of playlists, tweets, likes, etc is just a way for Warp to troll us- perhaps to show that we pay way too much attention to the web/online platforms (after all, the internet is evil). The Aphex track on the Geogaddi playlist is very odd though. At the very least, it shows activity, meaningful or random.

That said, we know BoC gives 2 shits about ARG's and online shenanigans, and we also know new music is imminent and always will be until, and perhaps after, we all die (an afterworld BoC release- can you imagine).

Like you said, things will get exciting when it's time for them to get exciting. In the meantime, I do like your active guess work. It helps pass the time while the paint dries.

Posts Quantity
I think someone made a very good point when they said that they've done the ARG thing for Tomorrow's Harvest, and it may feel a little belaboured if done again. How do people feel about that idea?

Dayvan Cowboy
(an afterworld BoC release- can you imagine).

Hey don't go planting seeds of ideas like that ! :D
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Eagle Minded
I don't think they'll do anything as extravagant as the TH ARG, but I have a feeling they'll at least do something that will grab everyone's attention again in a mysterious way that still requires us waiting for -and potentially finding- new but easily accessible information.

That's just Warp's thing anyway. Aphex Twin had a blimp, graffiti stencil campaign throughout NYC, limited access listening parties, and an onion site to promote Syro. Not too intense, but it grabbed everyone's attention in a creative way. Maybe BoC will have an Airstream rolling down the Trans Canada Highway with a hexagon and a date on the side of it lol

Dayvan Cowboy
We should actually look to TH track 7 for the proper reversal of 6-6-16. Its 19-9-9-9-9...

Dayvan Cowboy
Opothecary wrote: 6-6-16. Its 19-9-9-9-9...

Actually for 6-6-16. Its 91-9-9-9-9...
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
Magrathea wrote:
Opothecary wrote: 6-6-16. Its 19-9-9-9-9...

Actually for 6-6-16. Its 91-9-9-9-9...

I like mine better.

September 19th - announcement
November 10th - release

That's my final answer

Happy Cycler
You crazy kids with your rock music, numerology, and devil worship.

Eagle Minded
mechanismj wrote:You crazy kids with your rock music, numerology, and devil worship.

Dear, why don't you leave the ankle-biters to their harmless games and go make yourself useful in the kitchen, hm? I saw some leftover roast beef in the icebox with my name on it.

Dayvan Cowboy
RDJ and BoC trolling in tandem this summer, I love it

http://aphextwin.warp.net/

Sherbet Head
better than nothing :)

Opothecary wrote:RDJ and BoC trolling in tandem this summer, I love it

Dayvan Cowboy

Wait, what does this have to do with BOC?

Dayvan Cowboy
ryetronics wrote:

Wait, what does this have to do with BOC?

Originally, when RDJ's countdown kicked off around Field Day, it was slated to end right on July 6th before it got thrown into keeping its own version of time, apparently now much further away than July 6th. Watch it, it's not keeping any real sense of time with how it counts down at this point, but back then it was very easy to see it.

I've theorized it to death in this thread, but last year all of BoC's social media posts moved in iterations of 6/24/96/192 (applying mathematics to the dates that they were posted) - this year they seem to be 7/21/42/84. Its easiest to think that 2016 moved in 6s, this year they are moving in 7s. July 6th would have fit in with BoC's current pattern (7x6=42)

Anyways, it's been noted that RDJ "invaded" BoC's Soundcloud, Track 21 of Geogaddi seems to have been permanently replaced with an RDJ track.

Lastly, "Beware the Friendly Stranger" is posted twice in BoC's video playlist - Video 85 and 43 (85-43=42) - so in its own way, its like they were warning us that RDJ was going to troll us.

Is it a stretch of the imagination? Sure, but RDJ's thing has had a lot of visibility - and he's had a track hiding out on Soundcloud's version of Geogaddi, conveniently a track number that would fit into BoC's own pattern. It's been like that for 4 months, so I'm certain it's intentional by now.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada