GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Nova Scotia Robot
Opothecary. Dude. I always look forward to your posts in here. :D

I've long since wanted to post this as a joke:
phpBB [media]

Also, "you fly to close to the sun and you'll get burrrrned, Opothecary!!!"
heh heh.

I will never lose my enjoyment of theorizing with mathematics. Keep at it, man!

Sherbet Head
I had a dream that a bunch of us were at the seaside doing a BOC ARG. There was a golden ball of light hidden in a wooden snake's stomach which you had to put into a wooden bear's mouth. As soon as we did that we all knew we had to wait another three weeks.. But we were all okay with it lol

Posts Quantity
Op's posts have entertainment value by itself. As long is they don't harm his mental health I will keep reading, and share the hope for, yes... , a new release of a record.
whooosh

Dayvan Cowboy
PadraïK wrote:Op's posts have entertainment value by itself. As long is they don't harm his mental health I will keep reading, and share the hope for, yes... , a new release of a record.

There's really nothing else to speculate at this point - and mental health, it's not any different than someone working out a crossword puzzle or sudoku in your downtime on your lunch break, but in this case the clues to solve it have been handed out very slowly. I'm not some hermit with a calculator, I'm having a great summer with hiking and bonfires and gatherings with family and friends just like most people here, most of this was hashed out during working hours where I'm indisposed and can't listen to music or whatever.

I've mentioned it before, but it really has been disappointing to not see other people buy into this thing - I guess the very tools they've leveraged here have over the years have massaged people into waiting to be spoonfed information instead of trying to figure it out themselves as a way to pass the time amongst other fans. In the end it doesn't mater of course, the passage of time will get us to where we're going, but it should be fun to figure it out too.

I'll elaborate just a little bit further on something from my last post since you said you want more (there's not much more to give at this point!) and that beyond just mashing up months/dates to make particular numbers/patterns, I mentioned in my last post that the passage of time between each relevant post is very symmetrical and easy to spot when laid out. You don't even really need to do much thinking/math to visualize this part of it.

2016 introduced the idea of a trio of dates, starting with July 7th to July 31st to August 24th - each separated by 24 days (which also happened to be the base number that all the posting dates were divisible by in 2016)

Starting on October 14th 2016, the Left Side Drive post introduced the concept of incrementing the time between relevant posts by multiples of 55 days. December 8th was the last post of 2016, March 28th is the first post of 2017 - cut out all the other noise inbetween and this is what the time span between the landmark dates look like.

October 14th, 2016 (Left Side Drive) (+55 days from October 14th until December 8th)

December 8th, 2016 (Open the Light) (+110 days from December 8th until March 28th)

March 28th (Dayvan Cowboy, also deleted March 11th, 2012 tweet) (+220 days from March 28th until November 3rd)

November 3rd, 2017 - ?

As you can see, the multiple of 55 doubles each time if we assume November 3rd is the end date - exactly 220 days between the first and the presumed last post of 2017. Reversing the deleted tweet date (3/11 to 11/3) that disappeared on March 28th also helps us land on November 3rd. Lastly, the ARG began on 6/6/16 - assuming we get an announcement on 9/9 and add 55 days to 9/9, we land at November 3rd (11x3=33) - so in the end, 66 -> 99 -> 33

I omitted September 9th in the steps above for the sake of showing the exact doubling effect (we get the doubling by simply looking at first/presumed last posts of this year), but even with it worked in, 9/9 still fits into the 55 day pattern - when we go from March 28th to September 9th, it's 165 days (3x55 days), and then followed by 55 more days from September 9th until November 3rd, just like in the beginning of the 55 based pattern which started last year.

In the end, you can look it as either 55 -> 110 -> 220 days or 55 -> 110 -> 165 -> 55 days (the latter series if you want to get more granular with 9/9 being in the mix at the end)

Take it or leave it - but this is how the general logic of the puzzle works, the pacing is too deliberate to be random - and the way the Mr. Mistake vinyl release shook out, we were given all the clues to hash out its release ahead of time too, before it was officially announced, so I don't see why this should be any different.

Something SHOULD happen on September 9th, if nothing happens at all on November 3rd its all just a big troll job - either way though, I've laid out the method to their madness, it's up to them to follow through and do something, but the whole sequence from day 1 is indisputably designed in a very specific way, its not just them posting random things at random dates and times.

Posts Quantity
Melissa's birthday is on September the 22nd. She drinks her "Juice" when her blood sugar is low. She is P. She is married to Michael Sandison. Her and Michael have two young boys.

There will be no new Boards of Canada this year.

Posts Quantity
Thank You Based God

Dayvan Cowboy
Xaugh wrote:Melissa's birthday is on September the 22nd. She drinks her "Juice" when her blood sugar is low. She is P. She is married to Michael Sandison. Her and Michael have two young boys.

There will be no new Boards of Canada this year.

:lol:

If the fir tree by Marcus' bedroom window casts a long shadow on the first morning of autumn, the release will be delayed another year. If a long shadow is seen but two blackbirds are present, the album is scrapped and another project is started. If a red squirrel cuts a diagonal path across the tree's shadow, a black box is uploaded to their website.

Dayvan Cowboy
You can't just throw together a Boards of Canada album, it has to mature like a fine whisky. Even if they recorded the next album straight after the release of TH, and buried the tapes in a peaty soil that week, they wouldn't have taken on that loamy texture for a good while yet, and then there's the drying out time in the sun to really pick out the summery top notes.

Boqurant
Question to Opothecary:

do you think there is a chance, even 1% chance, that we never going to see another BOC abum (music)?

do you think this would be the biggest mind game they could ever provide to their fans?

only theories, theories and theories again, forever.
Palace Posy

Dayvan Cowboy
The alpha and omega and past inside the present with infinities split; to commemorate the occasion, something Broken has been fixed.

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:The alpha and omega and past inside the present with infinities split; to commemorate the occasion, something Broken has been fixed.

Laura Palmer?

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:The alpha and omega and past inside the present with infinities split; to commemorate the occasion, something Broken has been fixed.

Laura Palmer?

Boqurant
chronical wrote:

Laura Palmer?

Perhaps we are all inside a dream - the dream of Mark and Marcus...
Sorry for my bad english.

Dayvan Cowboy
Berselius wrote:
chronical wrote:

Laura Palmer?

Perhaps we are all inside a dream - the dream of Mark and Marcus...

Remember this post?

viewtopic.php?p=263668#p263668

Dayvan Cowboy
What's it all mean? A new old 55 day timespan has appeared in the pattern

Then:

6/6/16 -> 7/7/16 (31 days) -> 7/31/16 (24 days)

Now:

6/6/16 -> 7/31/16 (55 days)

Dayvan Cowboy
Opothecary wrote:What's it all mean? A new old 55 day timespan has appeared in the pattern

55 + 55 = Your profile picture

HE'S IN ON IT GUYS :shock:

Dayvan Cowboy
Haha, no - but that post makes a lot more sense now. The speed limit on the Trans Canada Highway is 110, so the combo of "Left Side Drive", the pic of the Trans Canada Highway in the video and the initial beginning of the 55/110 day iterations with that post works well together.

Some people can mock the tying of those concepts together, it's just sad when WATMM seemed quite a bit more curious about Richard's countdown than we are about this now. It seems like roles have really been reversed on that front this year, maybe it's just how certain places get when they've been around for a certain amount of time.

People talk about moving goalposts and things like that, but that's how a puzzle like this works, if you want to treat it as a puzzle and not a random series of entries (I hope its obvious its not random by now, despite one's possible personal disinterest in puzzles aside).

The passage of time disproves some potential ideas and reinforces others. I always felt whatever it was wouldn't happen until fairly late in the year once I realized we were now playing with 7s instead of 6s for the dates, but for me it was more about nailing down the specifics during the last few months of the year. The eclipse date always felt too obvious and cliched, even 9/9 seems a little too obvious...

Pick a path - I like the latter, but I'm a pessimist:

6/6 -> 7/31 (55 days)

10/14 -> 12/8 (55 days)
12/8 -> 3/28 (110 days)
3/28 -> 9/9 (165 days)

9/9 -> 11/3 (55 days)

or

6/6 -> 7/31 (55 days)

10/14 -> 12/8 (55 days)
12/8 -> 3/28 (110 days)
3/28 (3/11 post deleted this day) -> 11/3 (220 days)

11/3 -> 12/28 (55 days)

Sherbet Head
I wouldn't compare this with the Aphex countdown at all.. This doesn't really have a coherent place to follow, and from what me and lots of other sherbet heads have read in here we'd rather not get excited about dates anymore. I think that's a general rule for BOC nowadays.. Not that I don't think what you're doing is interesting, I just don't think it's comparable.. I wish we got a website with a countdown and a black box, sheesh. Sooon..

Dayvan Cowboy
I miss the black box days. I found it much more interesting than all of this number stuff however I do think that Op may be on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayvan Cowboy
Forgot to add the <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags.

Keep going, though.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada