GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
To be fair to you,

I would have expected MDG to pitch in months ago calling this out as fantasy and he hasn't.

Still not convinced but it wasn't that many years ago they would post obscure mathematical patterns to their website and have things hidden in the details, it isn't entirely inconceivable that they would put numerical meaning into Twitter posts.

Their twitter at the moment being their only form of public relations. It seems that as MDG increases in rarity, their posts decrease in rarity.

Me, Ae, MDG, Mike and Marcus down the pub.

MDG (from the gents loos) - 'Is it safe to come out yet?'
Mike puts down pint.
Marcus puts another £1 in the bandit.
Ae: 'Have a look Mexi.'
Me: 'FFS...........'(open phone).......
..........(reads this thread)......
.......'SHALL I BRING YOU A PINT MATE?!?'

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
I sit in the corner of the pub humming SOTL to lure Mexi into inviting me to the table.

Humming SOTL? Isn't that just........humming? :lol:

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
coming up to five years since tomorrow's harvest

quite a stretch

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:Humming SOTL? Isn't that just........humming? :lol:

it is! :D wonderful humming though!

Dayvan Cowboy
Down to 64 likes now... Opothecary, do your bidding.

Dayvan Cowboy
ryetronics wrote:Down to 64 likes now... Opothecary, do your bidding.

Great catch - I like it. Let's keep in mind that like 66 is represented by "Constants are Changing" which we should hopefully get tomorrow.

Less important than the fact that it will be 10/11 (10+11=21) the 23 days remaining until 11/3 is the key thing. I've pointed out that 32 (the reverse of 23) is like the "fnord" of the mix - 32 gave us Nothing is Real and broke the pattern last year. 23 gave us the picture disc this year. 32 days left gave us a pair of likes encouraging them to take their time/create at their own pace - statements less exuberant than the 10 "new album please" tweets that they liked with 36 days remaining. And then finally, 23+32=55 days which is a key building block in terms days between landmark posts throughout the sequence.

It actually seems of note because they seem to have gone out of their way to do things in 2s, almost always previously leaving us at an odd sum, now we're at a nice even number - 100 (video 100 - called "Boards of Canada", the WATMM Geogaddi contest winner that used Gyroscope).

This also gives us a cool effect:

36 tweets (6x6)
43k followers (4+3=7)
64 likes (8x8)

All the above being said, they will probably find some way to subvert our expectations as they always do - because "constants are changing" they will sleep on 10/11 and turn the date into the 23 (10/13) with 21 days remaining.

What do you think sirs?

Dayvan Cowboy
This is a good time as any to loop the TCH era heads into some oldschool BoC numerology, especially seeing as how Aquarius is video 33 (11/3) and 110.

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Aquarius_(song)

- In all versions of the Aquarius single, the counting sequence begins in order with 1 to 36, then the count goes to random numbers. The sum of each number from 1 to 36 is 666.

- When the number 23 is split into the numbers 2 and 3, the product of those two equals 6. When 6 is squared, you get 36.

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote: It almost seems like he has sidelined himself intentionally as a component of this game. Years of work defusing trolls and now the boys seem to be cutting out the middle man and doing it to us themselves without having him as a mouthpiece to comment on the proceedings.

this I definitely agree with, his/her/them absence makes me very suspicious that they are enjoying this game

they might not be part of it but I don't think they want to diffuse it either, maybe they are laughing, maybe they are nodding along

but yeah I think they are onboard

Eagle Minded
If I were the Sandison bros I would be kind of scared of my fans, especially if they’ve been reading this forum.
preparation for a dive.

Sherbet Head
tonx wrote:If I were the Sandison bros I would be kind of scared of my fans, especially if they’ve been reading this forum.

Flol *drinks goat blood*

Dayvan Cowboy
tonx wrote:If I were the Sandison bros I would be kind of scared of my fans, especially if they’ve been reading this forum.

It's okay if you don't get it.

We're all good at different things, I don't care for coffee but I still doff my hat to your pursuit of the perfect cup. :p

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote:

It's okay if you don't get it.

We're all good at different things, I don't care for coffee but I still doff my hat to your pursuit of the perfect cup. :p

Fair - I’d offer to eat said hat if your speculations turn out to be correct, though I can’t seem to follow enough to exactly know where you’re planting a flag on this. I think the number game here is pliable enough so far that you’ll have little trouble ex post facto rationalizing whatever release date actually lands as having been predicted by every odd numbered adjusted time stamp of every tweet they liked divided by the sum of all track times of Geogaddi or something.

I’d be impressed if even one other person on this forum could concisely explain what it is that shows intent inside of all these numbers. I think there is some intern at Warp occasionally logging into the BoC stuff and liking/updating and all it means at best is that something’s probably in the pipeline.
preparation for a dive.

Telepath

I get that feeling too sometimes. To be fair, when is fandom not scary?

Dayvan Cowboy
tonx wrote:Fair - I’d offer to eat said hat if your speculations turn out to be correct, though I can’t seem to follow enough to exactly know where you’re planting a flag on this. I think the number game here is pliable enough so far that you’ll have little trouble ex post facto rationalizing whatever release date actually lands as having been predicted by every odd numbered adjusted time stamp of every tweet they liked divided by the sum of all track times of Geogaddi or something.

I’d be impressed if even one other person on this forum could concisely explain what it is that shows intent inside of all these numbers. I think there is some intern at Warp occasionally logging into the BoC stuff and liking/updating and all it means at best is that something’s probably in the pipeline.

You know, it's a good time to talk about this beyond the typical numeric based speculation and go into the broader implications. When we look at it as a whole, we really had no idea what was happening with this stuff when it kicked off in 2016. Maybe we thought we did, when something showed up on 6/6 and 7/7...but when 8/8 came and went, we definitely didnt.

Since that time, it's been about moving the goal posts, but after many goal post moves based on desiring wish fulfillment, you can suss out quite a bit more information after a year and a half than you could after 2 months. With the passage of time and each piece of new data, a picture forms.

It's like having to put together a 500 piece puzzle but you're only given a few pieces of the puzzle every couple weeks/months. It's going to start off pretty frustrating and fucked up, but eventually, with the passage of time, it comes together. The irony of course, is regardless of what I or anyone else does or says, the passage of time will solve it on its own, they will proceed with their plans on their own schedule if 99% of their fanbase goes about oblivious.

I like to think of it more of a chess game/logic puzzle/brain teaser, something devised for their own intellectual amusement and maybe to sate their more sadistic side, how many people's attention can they grab with their seemingly innocuous moves?

My approach to this has always been, BoC has never utilized the internet or particularly social media the way that other artists do. If Bibio, or Ae, or Tycho or whoever posts something, you can take it at face value. For most artists, maybe there will be some social media fuckery like a week before some special news is going to drop. Not with BoC though. I honestly don't believe that they have ever delegated any control over their social media accounts to a Warp employee, at best its outsourced to someone that they're close to like mdg or PIC - that's just my own gut feeling.

Ultimately, this thing is the most BoC thing they have probably ever done. It's a mishmash of cryptic behavior, subliminals and math and a loooooong drawn out waiting game. It's the marriage of the mundane and fantastic - they're just numbers after all, but BoC's mission statement has always revolved around bringing forth the magic from the things that you and I take at every day face value.

Believe it or not, I'm just a normal guy, I don't have any particular desire to gain their personal approval or even ever meet them over a pint, but I will say that they have provided me with some entertaining brain teasers over the past year and change, and I'm excited to see what's coming next from them just like everyone else.

Posts Quantity
this morning I played brainwaltzera in my car when I drove my wife to work. She kept asking is this boc? She only knows boc from snippets in tv show and me yelling they obuse boc again at national broadcasting. Don't know if fr. works for Belgian national tv...
anyway
When driving back I turned up the level and it was all boc-experience to me. I'm not saying he is. The facebookpage is called 'who is brainwaltzera" I'm not saying it's boc all the way. There's a pick of this guy on it, the label is Film, user 8673 on soundcloud, 657 likes 663 followers, released 29/9 with eyecatching phrase 'if you like boards of canada'
[url]
I bit lower in the facebook page there's a pic of a kid wearing a boc t-shirt with description 'he is brainwaltzera'
https://www.facebook.com/analogical.for ... =3&theater[/url]

I'm not saying they are, but ....
Mr. Opo are there any numbers relating?
whooosh

Posts Quantity
PadraïK wrote:this morning I played brainwaltzera in my car when I drove my wife to work. She kept asking is this boc? She only knows boc from snippets in tv show and me yelling they obuse boc again at national broadcasting. Don't know if fr. works for Belgian national tv...
anyway
When driving back I turned up the level and it was all boc-experience to me. I'm not saying he is. The facebookpage is called 'who is brainwaltzera" I'm not saying it's boc all the way. There's a pick of this guy on it, the label is Film, user 8673 on soundcloud, 657 likes 663 followers, released 29/9 with eyecatching phrase 'if you like boards of canada'
[url]
I bit lower in the facebook page there's a pic of a kid wearing a boc t-shirt with description 'he is brainwaltzera'
https://www.facebook.com/analogical.for ... =3&theater[/url]

I'm not saying they are, but ....
Mr. Opo are there any numbers relating?

Sounds like BOC and Clark together. The tracklisting on the album Poly-Ana is very RDJ.

Posts Quantity
rdj that's true, you're not the first to think that way. And there's also plenty of reason to do so

But I never considered rdj the most geometrical type. There's a lot of squares and triangles. fairly easy to make hexagons with them...

Maybe a joint venture?
whooosh

Dayvan Cowboy
Padraik, I am finally listening to Poly-Ana now and I'll post my thoughts later. The first track didn't give me Clark vibes but now smit kind of does I guess. It smells like an RDJ project based on the art and track titles but at the same time, wouldn't it be funny if this was BoC's version of The Tuss?

Anyways, tonx I derailed a little bit in my post that I made last night, too many IPAs - looking back, you can smell the alcohol emanating from the post - but the idea of it coming together like a puzzle means that we can make some concrete and indisputable observations nearly a year and a half in to it, based on continually increasing amounts of data. They let us think simple in the very beginning but as they gave us more data, it became more complex. The passage of times proves out some theories and disproves others.

2016 ran from 6/6/16 to 12/8/16 (6 months and 2 days)

- It began with a 36 (6/6)
- All posts except the initial "36" had their date sums combine to be increments of 24, but more importantly, think of the base as 6:
24 -> 192 -> 24 -> 96
- Everything about the NIR post is +2ish against the Cosecha console - +2 days, +20 years, +2 timezones to match the time stamp (2:57) - in addition to 192, it gives us "32" (reverse this to "23" for the Mr Mistake announcement in 2017 (6/17))
- Left Side Drive gave us 3:11am (-6 UTC)
- The final post is +2 days past 6 months. Again the timestamp ends in :57 and if we go +2 timezones just like NIR, we get 10:57 (10x57=570 days - 6/6/16 to 12/28/17 is 570 days) - in the context of a 12 hour window, 10:57 and 2:57 "pair up"

We took a 110 day break between 12/8/16 and 3/28/17, switching from a base of 6 to a base of 7 and an old tweet dated "3/11"/12 was deleted just prior to the start of the 2017 sequence. Remember, this deleted tweet was from back in the wilderness years when they literally only tweeted once a year prior to TH being released.

2017 ran exactly 6 months (3/28/17 -> 9/28/17)
- We closed on a 36 (9/27) the same way that 2016 started. We got 10 likes on 9/28.
- This time we mostly count down by 21 (again, most importantly, with 7 as a base) - 84 -> 42 -> 147 (Mr. Mistake release) -> 21
- The eclipse date happened to match this pattern, but I got cold on it as it approached. Too soon, as we eventually realized both patterns were basically 6 months each - something that you obviously could only see in the end.
- An Eagle in Your Mind gave us 3:11pm (+7 UTC)
- We get a "pair" of tweets sort of how NIR and Open the Light pair up in 2016 that slot together this time to form a 24 hour window. BoC's Amo Bishop Roden tweet at 11:32am and Mike's at 12:28pm.
- There are exactly 220 days between the start (3/28) and 11/3. (think back to the 110 day gap between patterns, and the 55 days between the initial and 2nd post in 2016)
- There are 55 days between 11/3 and 12/28 - again, there were 55 days between 6/6/16 and 7/31/16 when we omit that Broken Drum retweet.

Essentially, 2016 as a whole can aesthetically be viewed as the "dark" or incorrect side of the mirror. We have a post that breaks a type of pattern that otherwise goes unbroken in 2017. In 2017, its equivalent gives us news of a BoC release, even if its a relatively minor one. The hidden 3:11 happens in "negative" UTC 6 in the middle of the night vs that same timestamp occurring in the daytime in "positive" UTC 7 in 2017.

So at this point, we have 36 tweets and are basically playing in a type of overtime/purgatory that is just throwing us likes every now and then, on number of days remaining relevant to the smaller building block numbers of the pattern (so far we have gotten likes on the presumed 36 and 32 days left, today is 23 days left - but again, I think the curveball will be that they turn the date into a 23 (10/13) - today just seems too easy to guess if you've bought into it and come this far. This game messes with your assumptions and always gives you what you think is coming just a couple/few days later than you figured in most cases, while still making sense in retrospect.

When we talk about 36, it served as the bookends - the start of the 2016 sequence and the end of the 2017 sequence. Think of how Aquarius counts up to 36 and then goes random after that, that's kind of what's happening now - likes being added, likes disappearing, etc. - we are obviously at 36 tweets at this point as well.

10/14 with 20 days left is what's going to be really interesting. It's the 1 year anniversary of the LSD post, which to me was the most important post of the 2016 sequence - it's hiding a 3:11 in its timestamp, its got a twin hiding in the likes that has a sum of 20 - so all that being said, they will probably do nothing! I'd love to be wrong and have that date be the start of something exciting that signals real intent to the rest of the world.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada