That one album nobody talks about when talking about a band

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
I'll also stick my foot out for Lurgee while we're at it.

Happy Cycler
If we're talking Pablo Honey, then You deserves a mention.. great early Radiohead track. Plus this version at Reading festival is super, that scream at 1:50 is Yorke at the peak of his falsetto powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbZ73q4oew

In complete agreement with Blow Out and Lurgee, great tracks. I draw the line at Stop Whispering though, absolute garbage :lol:

Also Amnesiac is a hugely underrated album by them, everyone always harps on about Kid A, and quite rightly, it's incredible, but Amnesiac is something else. I love the Mingus style Jazz influence, that kinda solemn and sombre trudge it has on a few tracks. I think it's Radiohead at their most challenging, but also most rewarding.

Edit: I guess when I say challenging, it isn't really in the grand scheme of contemporary music, but for most of their original fan base it must be quite a digression.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
^ was reading this thread thinking, I'm gonna comment on You, I really like that track. Was beaten to it. :)

I actually really enjoy TKOL myself. It's got this certain, maybe simple, charm to it. Give Up the Ghost and Separator are a great ending IMO. But I've always viewed it as a more simple, straightforward little piece, almost like an EP vs an epic album. Nothing like the others, so I can see the criticism.

And the Mingus style on Amnesiac- yes!

Happy Cycler
they look so hardcore in that video, Foojee.

Dayvan Cowboy
Lens Larque wrote:Tormato

Absolutely true.

Beck -> Modern Guilt

Happy Cycler
That video is truly dreadful ha. However, despite the sorta false start with Pablo Honey, Radiohead have probably one of the most cohesive outputs for a band of their size. They have barely compromised their ethics and ideals along the way as well. I think when you look at Kid A in context, and how it still sounds pretty out there/unique today.. you have to see it as a pretty bold move, especially after OK Computer. It could've gone spectacularly wrong for them, but then again, when you have as talented members as Radiohead do (especially the Greenwood brothers) it would've hardly deterred their progress. IMO, from here on, the more esoteric they go, the better. They should release some really challenging work just to shake it all up again. Its been a long time now since TKOL, perhaps they are taking their time to find a new path.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Eagle Minded
Goiter Sanchez wrote:
Headphase wrote:Everyone I meet who likes Radiohead NEVER mentions Pablo Honey...

.... Which I guess is a good thing because I hate that album

Blowout is a pretty great track!

Yes it certainly is. The songs on PH are generally pretty good, what bothers me most is the sound. Considering that most of these tracks feature THREE guitars, the album sounds surprisingly thin. I'd like them to get Nigel Godrich to work his magic on the original multi-track masters - to thicken up and clarify the whole thing, and perhaps re-jig the running order
...what subtlety?

Previous

Return to This Random Sound